• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Muslims prep for Islamic holiday — around 9/11

Ludahai,

I should have stated approximately the same day each year on the Islamic calendar. I believe it is based on visual sighting of the moon, not the scientific phase, hence there is a small variation. That's why it might fall on 9/10 or perhaps 9/11 this year.

No i am comparing tragedies that occurred on or around religious holidays to each other, so if there is a failure here, it is in comprehending what the comparison was and that it is valid, especially in response to the ludicrous suggestion that religious holidays should be postponed because of a tragedy.. regardless of cause whether it was man made, terrorist, or natural, that point is moot.

Except that I reject the validity of the comparison as I suspect many others would as well...

Two quick things:

1) 9/11 was not committed by all Muslims; one should not hold every Muslim responsible for Al Qaeda's terrorist attack.
2) Eid falls on the same day every year on the Islamic calendar. It is the Gregorian calendar on which it falls on different days.

Should Eid fall on 9/11, and that is not yet assured, a reasonable person should understand that Muslims are celebrating Eid, not commemorating the terrorist attacks that occurred on that day in 2001.

Thanks, I hope the misinformed read your post, before they start typing away and looking ignorant.

Except that I reject the validity of the comparison as I suspect many others would as well...

reject away, I was rebutting absurdity with more absurdity. The comparison is valid.. unless the sole reason for rearranging a religious tradition out of respect for a tragedy was because it was man made and an entire religious tradition should alter its customs because of the acts of a few.

Is there another reason why the comparison would not be valid?

Last edited:
reject away, I was rebutting absurdity with more absurdity. The objection is valid.. unless the sole reason for rearranging a religious tradition out of respect for a tragedy was because it was man made and an entire religious tradition should alter its customs because of the acts of a few.

Is there another reason why the comparison would not be valid?

1. I was not defending the notion that the holiday should be moved. It shouldn't be.
2. The comparison is still absurd on the face of it. Man made atrocity against an act of nature. Not comparable.

1. I was not defending the notion that the holiday should be moved. It shouldn't be.
2. The comparison is still absurd on the face of it. Man made atrocity against an act of nature. Not comparable.

that is fine and all, it was to highlight the notion of the absurdity of rearranging longstanding religious holidays in deference to a tragedy, and as such the comparison is valid.. although there are obvious emotional reasons to reject it, my point was independent of cause and was merely comparing one tragedy to another

Is it really that hard not to equate every Muslim with terrorists?

I think the best way to get my head around this issue is to flip it around, and ask whether I would be down with changing the date of, say, Easter, because it fell on a date sensitive to Muslims.

I think that would be going a bit too far, don't ya think?

I'm attending an Eid celebration this autumn and I'm really excited because it's my first one. My classmate is from Iran, and she along with her husband are very eager to share their culture and religious holiday with us. Their extended family in Canada is holding a big feast and I've been invited.

It's funny because I didn't make the correlation between Sept. 11 and Eid whatsoever until I came to this thread. It's sad that the source of a lot of people's knowledge about Islam came from the media on Sept. 11. There is so much more to Islamic culture than what you watch on t.v. Please make friends with a Muslim near you and maybe you'll be lucky enough to get a first hand insight into some of their cool traditions!

serious question -- what does the moon have to show to annouce the fact that Eid has started? Isn't it something that the astronomical sciences can tell us when it will happen? After all, during the early Middle Ages, Islamic astronomy was the best in the world yet even before the advent of Islam in Arabia, the Chinese were predicting things like eclipises of the sun and moon...

The link explained most of it.

Eid is always on the same day on the Islamic calendar but on the Gregorian calendar the day of Eid varies from year to year. Eid (and Ramadan as a result) moves back about 11 days every year.

The actual day of Eid is still unknown. Muslims will find out on the night if a moon is seen not to mention it varies

Is this a battle between 21st century Muslims and 7th century Muslims? (in mentality, of course)

The division goes beyond that.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why anyone would expect the date of any religious celebration to be changed because the date also commemorates a tragedy that happened in a single country.

Seriously, the very fact that American Muslims have to worry about this crap is stunningly sad to me. I know it isn't all Americans that feel Muslims "should" change the date and "should" turn a celebration into mourning, but the fact that any American feels that way is extremely disturbing. This is a nation supposedly built on a foundation of religious tolerance. Let's show a little of that, shall we?

I don't like football. But, to answer your question, I do not partake in festivities on 6 June, 11 September, 7 December, or the last Monday in May.

Anymore smartass questions?

Based on experience, I doubt there's any that would be worth asking.

The link explained most of it.

Eid is always on the same day on the Islamic calendar but on the Gregorian calendar the day of Eid varies from year to year. Eid (and Ramadan as a result) moves back about 11 days every year.

The actual day of Eid is still unknown. Muslims will find out on the night if a moon is seen not to mention it varies

Still unclear what it is about the moon that they have to see? Wouldn't it be astronomical and then be predictable by science ... or does the moon have to smile and wink or something -- as a message from God -- or something like that?

The division goes beyond that.

I realize that, though you have to admit, there is a huge gulf between Muslims in their mentality... some are still firmly in the Middle Ages while many are productive and highly useful members of the 21st century...

Still unclear what it is about the moon that they have to see? Wouldn't it be astronomical and then be predictable by science ... or does the moon have to smile and wink or something -- as a message from God -- or something like that?

Just tradition verse those who would prefer to use science to calculate :shrug:

Both sides quote the hadiths to support said argument.
"Do not fast until you see the crescent; and do not break your fast until you see it again."

But does "see" mean individual Muslims have to physically see it for it to apply or does calculations by science count? Or when a religious organisation "see" it even if the individual does not.
Many Muslims avoid having to use science to calculate the dates for the Islamic calendar. So yeah, I'm in the dark as to when Eid is until the night before.

Last edited:
Two quick things:

1) 9/11 was not committed by all Muslims; one should not hold every Muslim responsible for Al Qaeda's terrorist attack.
2) Eid falls on the same day every year on the Islamic calendar. It is the Gregorian calendar on which it falls on different days.

Should Eid fall on 9/11, and that is not yet assured, a reasonable person should understand that Muslims are celebrating Eid, not commemorating the terrorist attacks that occurred on that day in 2001.

You make it so easy to understand. As it should be.

Just tradition verse those who would prefer to use science to calculate :shrug:

Both sides quote the hadiths to support said argument.
"Do not fast until you see the crescent; and do not break your fast until you see it again."

But does "see" mean individual Muslims have to physically see it for it to apply or does calculations by science count? Or when a religious organisation "see" it even if the individual does not.
Many Muslims avoid having to use science to calculate the dates for the Islamic calendar. So yeah, I'm in the dark as to when Eid is until the night before.

But science can tell us when the crescent will occur... and if it is cloudy and the moon is obscured, do you have to wait an entire month? And if you live north of the Arctic Circle? I mean, really...

But science can tell us when the crescent will occur... and if it is cloudy and the moon is obscured, do you have to wait an entire month? And if you live north of the Arctic Circle? I mean, really...

Doesn't matter.
Tho life would alot easier if we just used science to calculate when the crescent will happen.
Yeah I do. I didn't know it was Ramadan until about 1am on the same day it was starting. The same will probably happen to me when it comes to Eid. I'll find out on the day or night before.

I agree with Hautey's thoughts on this. At the same time I wonder how much its the fault of Muslims and how much its the fault of the Media. There's actually seemingly a number of muslim moderates that have spoken out against the Mosque at Ground Zero, spoken out strongely against terrorists, spoken out against the treatment of women, etc....however, those never are the focus or the front story. Why that might be I'm sure will create differing opinions on differing sides as to the cause...

The mosque at ground zero is much ado about nothing too.

1) The vast majority of Muslims in the World, and especially here in the US, condemn the 911 attacks.

2) A Christian church at ground zero wouldn't turn a single head, let alone earn the outrage that I am seeing from some over here.

3) In condemning the building of a mosque there, you are essentially telling them that they are one with the terrorists.

5) It was terrorists who attacked the US, not Muslims, any more than it was Christians who toasted millions of Jews during WWII, just because Adolf Hitler professed to be a Christian.

Last edited:
The mosque at ground zero is much ado about nothing too.

1) The vast majority of Muslims in the World, and especially here in the US, condemn the 911 attacks.

2) A Christian church at ground zero wouldn't turn a single head, let alone earn the outrage that I am seeing from some over here.

3) In condemning the building of a mosque there, you are essentially telling them that they are one with the terrorists.

5) It was terrorists who attacked the US, not Muslims, any more than it was Christians who toasted millions of Jews during WWII, just because Adolf Hitler professed to be a Christian.

How about a Serbian Orthodox Church in Srebrenica? I bet we'd see some outrage over that.

It was Muslim terrorists, killing people in accordance with their religious beliefs. Hitler, at no time, ever used Christianity--or any other religion--as an excuse for the Holocaust. Hitler wasn't trying to spreac Christianity. However, the Muslims are trying to spread Islam and doing so by force, as they have done for the past 1,400 years.

BTW, it was Muslims of the SS Handshar Division, who killed nearly a 2 million Serbs, Jews, Yugoslavians and Romas, during WW2.

How about a Serbian Orthodox Church in Srebrenica? I bet we'd see some outrage over that.

It was Muslim terrorists, killing people in accordance with their religious beliefs. Hitler, at no time, ever used Christianity--or any other religion--as an excuse for the Holocaust. Hitler wasn't trying to spreac Christianity. However, the Muslims are trying to spread Islam and doing so by force, as they have done for the past 1,400 years.

BTW, it was Muslims of the SS Handshar Division, who killed nearly a 2 million Serbs, Jews, Yugoslavians and Romas, during WW2.

I would say that there is a congregaton of Muslims in New York, soon to occupy that mosque, who would tell you that you are full of baloney.

I would say that there is a congregaton of Muslims in New York, soon to occupy that mosque, who would tell you that you are full of baloney.

Of course they would, but the facts tell a different story; one that is far more believable.

Of course they would, but the facts tell a different story; one that is far more believable.

You mean the facts are YOU regurgitate them? Many millions have been killed in the name of Christianity too, but that does not make the majority of Christians bad either. You say that Muslims want to conquor the whole world? You mean like the song "Onward Christian Soldiers", Manfest Destiny, lynchings in the Old South, and other atrocities? Yea, we have had our share of them too, but most Christians are decent people, just as most Muslims are. And I know many of both religions, who I am proud to call "friend".

Back
Top Bottom