• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

US Military Deployed to Georgia with Humanitarian Aid

FreeThinker

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
FOXNews.com - Bush Orders Military to Deliver Aid to Georgia - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

YouTube - August 13, Bush speaks from the White house(1hr ago)

WASHINGTON — President Bush has directed the U.S. military to lead a humanitarian mission to Georgia where tens of thousands have been forced out of their homes following a Russian invasion last week that has been described by Georgia's president as an "ethnic cleansing."

I hope the bear is stupid enough to fire on us.

Last edited:
Reported by a Fox journalist in Georgia on the radio interview just now with Tom Sullivan, Georgia military personnel have scattered and left their tanks and positions. He reports military uniforms being shed and left on the street, military license plates being removed from vehicles and a general fleeing by the Georgian forces. He said Russian tanks were very close to the Georgin capital but he does not know if they are planning a full maneuver into the city. But he summed it up in saying Georgia is there for the taking with little resistance.

I can't decide yet whether this is a good tactical move or not. There may be a silver lining here even for the Russians. The US would surely have the credibility to say they are protecting all civilians, INCLUDING RUSSIANS. This allows the Russians a possible face-saving means of retreat. The Russians originally said they went in to protect Russians. I could be seeing this wrong though.

Sending in Rice at the same time also signals a non-military mission, since the US military would not carry on military combat missions while the Sec State is present.

Last edited:
This is an extremely scary scenario with the warmongers in the WH putting US troops where engagement against Russians is a high probability.

It appears to me the Bush administration has been and is trying to provoke a new cold (or hot) war with Russia.

Their buddies in the military industry must be breaking out the champagne.

This is an extremely scary scenario with the warmongers in the WH putting US troops where engagement against Russians is a high probability.

It appears to me the Bush administration has been and is trying to provoke a new cold (or hot) war with Russia.

I disagree. I think the Bush Admin is not doing the warmongering. In fact there has been a recent announcement of a plan that could bring our troops home sooner. "It's the economy, stupid" is now in progress and pursuing war would not be popular with Americans. The US military is the only force that Putin will respect, and to start shooting at them while attempting to provide humanitarian aid would be both a political disaster as well as a military one.

It's still a risky move. The White House knows full well that the humanitarian relief would also serve as a buffer between Georgians and Russians. It knows that Russia will not want to risk confrontation by directly firing on U.S. soldiers. The "humanitarian relief" ploy is pretty transparent, but it gives the U.S. justifiable cause to place soldiers there. Although the U.S. is there to protect its interests, not the Georgians.

It's still a risky move. The White House knows full well that the humanitarian relief would also serve as a buffer between Georgians and Russians. It knows that Russia will not want to risk confrontation by directly firing on U.S. soldiers. The "humanitarian relief" ploy is pretty transparent, but it gives the U.S. justifiable cause to place soldiers there. Although the U.S. is there to protect its interests, not the Georgians.
Everyone is there to protect their interests.

If being a war monger means confronting tyrants when they try to annex sovereign states, then sign me up.

Before you mention it (and I know you will), we toppled a dictator in Iraq and helped his people build a government of their own. Russia's invasion of Georgia is something completely different.

FOXNews.com - Bush Orders Military to Deliver Aid to Georgia - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

YouTube - August 13, Bush speaks from the White house(1hr ago)

WASHINGTON — President Bush has directed the U.S. military to lead a humanitarian mission to Georgia where tens of thousands have been forced out of their homes following a Russian invasion last week that has been described by Georgia's president as an "ethnic cleansing."

I hope the bear is stupid enough to fire on us.

Great.. The Georgians start a war, the Russians react to the Georgian ethnic cleansing and attacks, and now its the Russians that are the bad guys. Propaganda at its "finest". Sure the Russians are no angels but come on, laying all blame to the conflict at their door step, especially when its the pig headiness and direct military action of the Georgians that started this latest round of violence.. pathetic western double standard.

I dont like the Russians, but blaming them for this war is frankly stupid, as is backing the warmongering Georgian wack job of a President.

The Georgian President wanted to take full control by force with a province that did not want to be controlled by the Georgian people, and in doing so breaking a 15 year old peace, and when the Russians defend their troops from attacks, then they get blamed for everything... classic... Goebbels would be proud.

The US sending troops there will do nothing but piss off people and make the situation even worse. Does the US want to start WW3 (or for some here on DP.. WWW14+)? How would the US like if the Russians sent "military humanitarian aid" to the border towns in Mexico presently in the midst of a drug war? Or sent troops to Cuba?

Seems to me, Bush and McForgetfull are doing the classic... divert attention away from the home front, since its going like crap tactic... starting a war is always a good thing to focus the minds of your people away from the daily lives.

Oh and should we not forget... McCain has people who have taken tons of money from the Georgian government for lobbying in the US and other services.. Guess a few 100.000 dollars can buy you the friendship of a US presidential candidate these days.

The US sending troops there will do nothing but piss off people and make the situation even worse. Does the US want to start WW3 (or for some here on DP.. WWW14+)? How would the US like if the Russians sent "military humanitarian aid" to the border towns in Mexico presently in the midst of a drug war? Or sent troops to Cuba?

Seems to me, Bush and McForgetfull are doing the classic... divert attention away from the home front, since its going like crap tactic... starting a war is always a good thing to focus the minds of your people away from the daily lives.

Oh and should we not forget... McCain has people who have taken tons of money from the Georgian government for lobbying in the US and other services.. Guess a few 100.000 dollars can buy you the friendship of a US presidential candidate these days.

Administrations come and go but the military industrial complex doesn't exit the stage with an Obama presidency. Do you really think the U.S. would not have sent military aid to Georgia under an Obama administration? Obama is planning to increase military spending now. Obama is planning on increasing occupation in Afghanistan. Obama talks about firing missiles into Pakistan. Obama talks about fully backing up Israel.

At least be aware of the fact this does not all reverse course with Obama, whatever judgement you pass on U.S. foreign policy.

Back
Top Bottom