• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Looks Really Screwed up from the Outside Looking in

And there you have the very reason so many people outside the US have issues with the US.. arrogance.. and you are not factual. And if it was not for Europe, there would be no America.. so do we really have to go down that historical road?

Oh dont get me wrong.. it is. But it has its issues with minorities tearing it apart from within and it is failing to deal with these issues as the "crazies" have become mainstream. Just look at gun control. Did you know that the NRA was founded as a gun safety organisation? Boy has that changed....

Last I saw, you all have your own minority issues in Europe. America isn't much different from Europe as far as crazies go either.

Arrogance?............my last venture into a few of my favorite Esbjerg pubs were filled with morons who ridiculed, and looked down on the rest of Europe, along with the USA. I knew I shouldn't have worn my autographed Mia Hamn team USA hat.....oh well.

Typical. No principals in the least. And for the record, I don't think it's realistic to think that Trump is 'trying to lose'. It's not a conventional campaign, and you probably mistake that for what you posted.

Trump isn't advertising in swing states. The dude is trying to lose.

Is he advertising in any states?

Honestly, I don't know. The articles I've read (I think) only highlighted the lack of swing state advertising.

While an issue, being loved is not really a qualification for president. To use an example, Margaret Thatcher was pretty hated, but also really effective for the UK.

Differing opinions on what really complex laws mean is not being unable to honor their oaths of office.

Hard to argue that one, but realize that most of us are not gun nuts or anti-gun nuts. It is just that those groups make a ****ton of noise.

There was a sit-in in your home town recently. And protests are part of politics.

Could be worse: we could be Canada.

Every time I hear about another mass killing, every day I hear Donald Trump cheering on hate, every time I see an American medical bill, every time I hear about illegals killing people, every time I see body bags still coming back from manufactured war, every time I think of Hillary or Donald as president, every crime statistic I see, I give thanks for where I live.

And, on average we live three years longer.

Now, let's see the anti-Canada bull****, as it seems the national pastime is getting even.

Every time I hear about another mass killing, every day I hear Donald Trump cheering on hate, every time I see an American medical bill, every time I hear about illegals killing people, every time I see body bags still coming back from manufactured war, every time I think of Hillary or Donald as president, every crime statistic I see, I give thanks for where I live.

Now, let's see the anti-Canada bull****, as it seems the national pastime is getting even.

You won't get it from me. Got a spare room? Besides, this South Central Texas heat, mixed with the gulf air mass that brings in buckets of humidity, is cranking up pretty good for this time of year. :lol:

Trump isn't advertising in swing states. The dude is trying to lose.

Meh. Maybe he knows something that you don't? That I don't?

He's made it far further than most any of the pundits figured he would.

We have better football.

And there you have the very reason so many people outside the US have issues with the US.. arrogance.. and you are not factual. And if it was not for Europe, there would be no America.. so do we really have to go down that historical road?

Oh dont get me wrong.. it is. But it has its issues with minorities tearing it apart from within and it is failing to deal with these issues as the "crazies" have become mainstream. Just look at gun control. Did you know that the NRA was founded as a gun safety organisation? Boy has that changed....

And if there was no America y'all would be under one form of authoritarian government or another.......

Countries have issues with American "arrogance" because it's not their country that's the most powerful one on the planet. Human nature to talk smack about number one.

O.M.G. :shock:

Are you serious? Nobody's darling? Break the status quo? Effect change?

What are you smoking? I think that 125 degree heat out there is getting to your brain.

You know, you really shouldn't address another member's post if you have nothing to say. But hoping you have a pleasant afternoon.

On the flip side of things.

One of our border agents nabbed another Canadian border jumper.

13434696_906939982785415_7530900065398815630_n (1).jpg

I believe in part the issues are magnified exponentially because many in the world still look up to the US. People are often very in tune with politics here. Americans typically couldn't tell who the PM is in Canada. Most couldn't care less. Our media is immediately world wide. If Obama so much as farts in the wind, the entire world hears about it immediately.

I agree, and it's partly why I'm a member on a site like this, but that doesn't explain what is happening with Americans in America. It seems, at least to me, that your politicians and your media believe that pitting Americans against other Americans is a strategy for political and financial success. It may have happened similarly in the past, but I don't remember such a time.

From the inside looking out, the US looks really screwed up too. That's how Drumpf got to where he is.

Taking the country to war under fraud, conducting drone warfare and killing many innocents in the process, under the leadership of a man who was issued a Peace Prize is about as screwed up as it can be.

Elected officials burning the founding document with illegitimate legislation, and spying on our so-called allies is also screwed up.

Hate to break it to you.. but it has looked like that since 2000 when Bush was handed the election by a court..

I think you misspoke, Bush legally won an election in Florida which gave him enough votes in the electoral college to become president in accordance with the US constitution, and the Supreme Court ruled unconstitutional the idea that votes in the four counties, and only the four counties, most friendly to one particular candidate be re-canvassed when no law provided for such a thing.

Just looking at the political climate in the US these days, people like me on the outside are wondering what the hell's in the water there and when is the insanity going to stop?

Some issues of note:

1. Two Presidential candidates that everyone seems to pretty much hate and nobody wants as President.

2. A Supreme Court that is totally dysfunctional, unable to honor their oaths of office because too many believe they have a higher obligation to ideology and thus all votes are deadlocked and nothing is settled.

3. An obsession with guns and gun violence that never ceases and each side on the political spectrum use the issue to pander to their followers with nothing gained.

4. An adolescent Congress where grown men and women sit on the floor in a hissy fit because they lack the power to force others to their will on an issue where there is no consensus in the general public for any particular action.

There are others, but that should set the tone.

To my friends in America, aren't you a little embarrassed by what is happening in your great country??

Rob Ford.

Rob Ford.

Rest his soul - perhaps the best Mayor Toronto has ever had. Hundreds of thousands marched from City Hall to the Cathedral, through the streets of Toronto, to his funeral and fondly remembered the man as a terrific person - flawed, no doubt - but a true servant of the people. He spent countless hours in social housing ghettos visiting with the residents and ensuring that they got their buildings properly maintained and cleaned. He gave out his direct office line at City Hall as well as his home phone number and cellphone number and responded to all constituent calls and helped them with their problems/concerns.

Sure, there were political opponents, both on Council and in the media, who hated the man because he was so loved and so good at storefront politics. He was a rich man who never acted like it - generous to a fault. Liberals hated him because he refused to spend taxpayer dollars and funded his needs out of his own pocket. If he travelled on city business, he covered the cost. To give you an idea of how liberals hated him, his liberal colleagues on council had him investigated for conflict of interest because he wrote a letter, on city letterhead, and raised $3000 for a neighbourhood football team that needed money for uniforms and supplies. They hated the fact that Mayor Ford constantly brought to the attention of the media and the public the trough feeders on council who wasted taxpayer dollars on themselves and their egos and they hated the man for it.

Mayor Ford was a great man and this world would be a far greater place if all politicians, or even many more, where half the person he was.

Just looking at the political climate in the US these days, people like me on the outside are wondering what the hell's in the water there and when is the insanity going to stop?
*cough* ROB FORD *cough* :mrgreen:

1. Two Presidential candidates that everyone seems to pretty much hate and nobody wants as President.
Yes, no other nation on earth dislikes their choices for elected officials. ;)

Plenty of buffoons around the world get elected to the top executive position. Berlusconi, Chavez, Morales (Evo and Jimmy), etc. So it goes.

2. A Supreme Court that is totally dysfunctional, unable to honor their oaths of office because too many believe they have a higher obligation to ideology and thus all votes are deadlocked and nothing is settled.
The Supreme Court is, for the most part, doing its job. Most of the current justices are not driven by ideology at all, they're driven by their ideas about jurisprudence and the nature of constitutional law.

It's Congress that is falling down on the job, not appointing the 9th justice. Even given that constraint, the SCOTUS is still operating properly, such as indirectly affirming that assault rifles can be banned, or directly sanctioning certain types of affirmative action as valid.

3. An obsession with guns and gun violence that never ceases and each side on the political spectrum use the issue to pander to their followers with nothing gained.
Yes, the American love of firearms is definitely messed up.

4. An adolescent Congress where grown men and women sit on the floor in a hissy fit because they lack the power to force others to their will on an issue where there is no consensus in the general public for any particular action.
Yep, that's a problem. My guess is that the American public is too closely split to make up its mind about what to do.

Meanwhile, legislatures around the world can be pretty wacky as well.

To my friends in America, aren't you a little embarrassed by what is happening in your great country??
When was American great, exactly?

Was it when we had millions of slaves?

Was it when we institutionalized racism?

How about when we outlawed alcohol? Bombed the snot out of a small Southeast Asian nation, and still failed to control it? Elected a former actor to the Presidency? Threatened to impeach another one, because he wanted to get his Johnson wet with an intern?

Oh, I know! It's when we refused to offer a single payer health care system, like pretty much every other advanced and developing nation on the planet.

Anyway... Everyone looks weird from the other side of the fence, yes?

I wonder what the America haters think.

Hate to break it to you.. but it has looked like that since 2000 when Bush was handed the election by a court..

Well, now I know.

Back
Top Bottom