• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Looks Really Screwed up from the Outside Looking in

What you are seeing is an internal struggle between people that want America to be America and love the constitution against the liberals that hate America and the constitution and want us to be converted into a utopia like they have in Venezuela.

Yeah...you're just as much part of the problem as "them liberals". :roll:

Just looking at the political climate in the US these days, people like me on the outside are wondering what the hell's in the water there and when is the insanity going to stop?

Some issues of note:

1. Two Presidential candidates that everyone seems to pretty much hate and nobody wants as President.

2. A Supreme Court that is totally dysfunctional, unable to honor their oaths of office because too many believe they have a higher obligation to ideology and thus all votes are deadlocked and nothing is settled.

3. An obsession with guns and gun violence that never ceases and each side on the political spectrum use the issue to pander to their followers with nothing gained.

4. An adolescent Congress where grown men and women sit on the floor in a hissy fit because they lack the power to force others to their will on an issue where there is no consensus in the general public for any particular action.

There are others, but that should set the tone.

To my friends in America, aren't you a little embarrassed by what is happening in your great country??

No worries here..... I can always bug out to Fox Harbor Newfoundland if it gets too much worse. ;)

I still have family in the area

Just looking at the political climate in the US these days, people like me on the outside are wondering what the hell's in the water there and when is the insanity going to stop?

I imagine a good portion of the temporary insanity will evaporate right after the election results in November.
Probably due to sheer exhaustion.
But then again, I could be wrong and it could be just the start of a worse round of insanity. :shrug:

Some issues of note:

1. Two Presidential candidates that everyone seems to pretty much hate and nobody wants as President.

2. A Supreme Court that is totally dysfunctional, unable to honor their oaths of office because too many believe they have a higher obligation to ideology and thus all votes are deadlocked and nothing is settled.

3. An obsession with guns and gun violence that never ceases and each side on the political spectrum use the issue to pander to their followers with nothing gained.

4. An adolescent Congress where grown men and women sit on the floor in a hissy fit because they lack the power to force others to their will on an issue where there is no consensus in the general public for any particular action.

To my friends in America, aren't you a little embarrassed by what is happening in your great country??

To be truthful, I'm embarrassed that so many are supporting such a corrupt crook as Hillary.

Some issues of note:

I just made some fresh popcorn.

To be truthful, I'm embarrassed that so many are supporting such a corrupt crook as Hillary.

At least I'm not supporting a guy who's obviously trying to lose.

Well, I don't agree. After all, the 2000 election was 10 months before 9/11 and a lot changed on that date.

Yes, the crazies got excuses to do even more crazy things..

The 2000 election was the end of the myth that the US was the defender of democracy... the whole world saw it and the respect for the US went out the window.

The 2000 election was the end of the myth that the US was the defender of democracy... the whole world saw it and the respect for the US went out the window.

Cut the non-sense the vote was counted over and over and over and over and Bush won every time the court just said enough.

What would have been Democracy to you, count it as many times as it takes until Gore won then declare him the winner? :2funny:

Bush Derangement Syndrome noted...

Yep. People seem to get buggered in the head, when they think of Bush. So confused really that they do not understand how interesting and positive it was that the standing President put nothing in the way of the quick court solution, though, it was his Vice President that the court found against. That was actually a high.point of constitutional democracy.

Trump is nobody's darling, but he is the only chance millions of us see to break down the status quo and effect some absolutely necessary change if America is not going to continue to decline in options, choices, opportunity, personal wealth and personal liberties. We'll take the unlikable side of him to accomplish that. Trump supporters don't place their loyalties in a person but rather in the good of the country and humankind in general.

O.M.G. :shock:

Are you serious? Nobody's darling? Break the status quo? Effect change?

What are you smoking? I think that 125 degree heat out there is getting to your brain.

Somehow, it does not surprise me that you might have missed something there. Doesn't fit your thought patterns. But that was actually an impressive demonstration of a functioning democracy. At least, that would be the pol-sci reading of it.
:peace

Some issues of note:

Regarding the first point, yes the majority of people do, in fact, despise our options. But, we would do well to note that quite regularly only 50%-60% of the voting-age population actually does go out and vote. We should further note that Trump rarely won more than 30% of the vote early in the race, but still secured a majority as the rest of the vote was split between 15 other candidates. On the Left, Bernie Sanders, the earnest if severely deluded true-believer, actually gave Hillary Clinton, an android and professional liar, a sound run for her money, especially considering this Democratic primary was meant of be Clinton's coronation tour, rather than an actual competition. Thus, these results are explained on the Right by the flaws of our voting system and the division inherent in the party where opinions vary widely. On the Left, this is likely the result of the fact that Sanders' supporters were simply too busy smoking weed and dreaming of an anarcho-communist utopia to make it to the polls.

Regarding the second point, indeed there are some members of the Supreme Court who are loyal more to their own ideology than the Constitution. Unfortunately, that will likely only become worse if Clinton wins the general election, an increasing likely prospect as Trump's campaign seems to be collapsing.

Regarding the third point, there is no obsession with guns. We have a healthy understanding of the necessity of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. This is a result of the fact that the founders had to fight for independence from a tyrannical government. Realizing the people might need to do so again in the future, they guaranteed that we would legally be allowed to maintain the ability to resist an oppressive government and protect our rights by establishing the 2nd Amendment.

Regarding the fourth point, I agree that this is shameful behavior by the Democrats. It is disgraceful that elected representatives, who are meant to help lead the nation, are acting in this infantile manner, pouting like toddlers because they want their way. They should be ashamed of themselves. And yes, this does, in fact, make me feel embarrassed; again, it is shameful that members of our House of Representatives would see such actions as acceptable, let alone that they themselves should participate in them.

Last edited:

I totally disagree with that assessment. There's no country or people in the world that does more to help the less fortunate and those in trouble than America does. We like to think we're great here in Canada, but by comparison we talk a better game than we play. And Europe has precious little to crow about. If not for America, you'd be overrun by any number of invading forces without America's assistance.

And just to be clear, my thread wasn't set up as a "Bash America" thread. It was just to note that things there seem to be getting a little too emotional and irrational and just wondering when it's going to end. America is still a terrific country, and it's people are wonderful, at least in my view.

I find it funny that people demand the US protect the world and then when they do they demand they leave everyone alone. Which is it? Do you want a protector or do you not? Pick one.

Regardless of what you choose you should be aware that the US is not obligated to do anything to help your country.

Yep. People seem to get buggered in the head, when they think of Bush. So confused really that they do not understand how interesting and positive it was that the standing President put nothing in the way of the quick court solution, though, it was his Vice President that the court found against. That was actually a high.point of constitutional democracy.

I had not really thought of it that way.

Eye opening you are.

It was just to note that things there seem to be getting a little too emotional and irrational and just wondering when it's going to end. America is still a terrific country, and it's people are wonderful, at least in my view.

Its just getting started, it wont end till after the election and then there will be a horrible gnashing of teeth because this is the most polarized election I can remember and which ever side loses it will be a devastating loss.

I totally disagree with that assessment. There's no country or people in the world that does more to help the less fortunate and those in trouble than America does. We like to think we're great here in Canada, but by comparison we talk a better game than we play. And Europe has precious little to crow about. If not for America, you'd be overrun by any number of invading forces without America's assistance.

And there you have the very reason so many people outside the US have issues with the US.. arrogance.. and you are not factual. And if it was not for Europe, there would be no America.. so do we really have to go down that historical road?

America is still a terrific country, and it's people are wonderful, at least in my view.

Oh dont get me wrong.. it is. But it has its issues with minorities tearing it apart from within and it is failing to deal with these issues as the "crazies" have become mainstream. Just look at gun control. Did you know that the NRA was founded as a gun safety organisation? Boy has that changed....

And there you have the very reason so many people outside the US have issues with the US.. arrogance.. and you are not factual. And if it was not for Europe, there would be no America.. so do we really have to go down that historical road?

When did Denmark help the US? For that matter, when did Denmark ever help anyone? We might as well be talking about ****ing Poland.

Oh dont get me wrong.. it is. But it has its issues with minorities tearing it apart from within and it is failing to deal with these issues as the "crazies" have become mainstream. Just look at gun control. Did you know that the NRA was founded as a gun safety organisation? Boy has that changed....

Did you ever think that perhaps you're not speaking towards the minority? :lol:

Some issues of note:

I believe in part the issues are magnified exponentially because many in the world still look up to the US. People are often very in tune with politics here. Americans typically couldn't tell who the PM is in Canada. Most couldn't care less. Our media is immediately world wide. If Obama so much as farts in the wind, the entire world hears about it immediately.

Last edited:
At least I'm not supporting a guy who's obviously trying to lose.

Typical. No principals in the least. And for the record, I don't think it's realistic to think that Trump is 'trying to lose'. It's not a conventional campaign, and you probably mistake that for what you posted.

I don't really have any solutions - it was just an observation of mine because it seems to be getting progressively worse. I would say that compromise and consensus building seems to have vanished in the US where it once was pretty common and expected in political leaders. Seems today popularity is just a matter of who can yell the loudest and who can be most disrespectful of opposing views. Personally, I think you're diminished as a result.

nope, we really always have been messy you just want to bash the US so back to your igloo with you.

Some issues of note:

Well summed up, CJ.

I'll make it even worse. We're importing ****s like Sidney Crosby too.

Back
Top Bottom