• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US: Lebanon war victims sue al-Jazeera

Your assertion that it was simply impossible for AJ to transmit any real-time-strike-data is erroneous. I myself have called in air-strikes using nothing more than a GPS grid unit, a laptop computer, and a satellite phone. I needed no monster-truck to cart me and my equipment around. I've often wondered how Hezbollah managed to precisely target the commuter train terminal in Netanya. Perhaps the trial will explain this uncanny precision.

I laughed when i saw that absurd claim by that poster. All you need is handheld satellite phone and $20 GPS unit. The nonsense you read on the web sometimes... :rolleyes:

Have you seen a mobile satellite device ?

By the way, you don't have the same space to maneuver whe you are a military and a when you are a journalist.

Is there a reason you are stepping back into this point, as if to make yourself look even less knowledgeable?

And there is such a thing in the system called "appeal."

To claim al jazeera reports the news is hilarious, i have contacts here with the US office, and even they laugh at the awful reporting by the overseas bureaus. You talk about propaganda, to the trained and educated serious AJ journalists, the arab bureaus are little more than terrorist press conferences masquerading as news.

How many countries has AJ been thrown out of?

Now, come on now!

You do have to admit that their referring to suicide terrorists as "Martyrs" is a nice touch.

Seems like most people - unlike the vast majority of arab muslims most of whom are illiterate anyway, consider them biased trash:

Aljazeera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good point. Must be why so many Americans buy into biased trash as their source of information.

* 50 percent of adults cannot read a book written at an eighth grade level.
* 20 percent of Americans are functionally illiterate and read below a 5th grade level.
* Nearly half of all Americans read so poorly that they cannot find a single piece of information when reading a short publication.

Illiteracy: The Downfall of American Society

Good point. Must be why so many Americans buy into biased trash as their source of information.

* 50 percent of adults cannot read a book written at an eighth grade level.
* 20 percent of Americans are functionally illiterate and read below a 5th grade level.
* Nearly half of all Americans read so poorly that they cannot find a single piece of information when reading a short publication.

Illiteracy: The Downfall of American Society
The paragraph/preface before your quoted stats notes:

"In a study of 20 'high income' countries, the US ranked 12th on literacy tests. Illiteracy has become such a serious problem in our country that 44 million adults are now unable to read a simple story to their child. A few other shocking facts:"

[12th] Which is not that bad/pretty good considering the Flood of illiterate immigrants we have here who never did get an education thru no fault of this country.. except our leaky border enforcement.

As explained here:
VDARE.com: 11/10/05 - “Skills Shortage”—Or Immigration Overreach?
National Data, By Edwin S. Rubenstein

“Skills Shortage”—Or Immigration Overreach?

From Gates to Greenspan, business leaders say a mismatch between the skills of American workers and the needs of employers puts our ability to compete internationally at risk. And the growing U.S. income inequality is often blamed on this shortage of skilled workers and a glut of incompetents.

But University of Wisconsin sociologist Michael J. Handel begs to disagree. In his new book Worker Skills and Job Requirements: Is There a Mismatch?, he offers proof that American workers are as competent as those in other advanced nations.

Native-born Americans are, that is.

The apparent relative weakness in U.S. average cognitive skills vanishes when the effects of immigration are netted out. Handel points to the 'International Adult Literacy Survey' (IALS), a test administered to working-age adults in 14 advanced industrialized countries between 1994 and 1998. The U.S. ranked 10th place overall, but our poorest performers (5th percentile) were dead last and our best performers (95th percentile) were 3rd highest. [Table 1.] The U.S. gap between top and bottom was the widest of all the countries surveyed.

Hendel cites studies showing this result is primarily the result of mass immigration. For example:
“Blau and Kahn…find that immigration accounts for a considerable portion of the greater test score inequality in the United States relative to eight other countries…When immigrants are excluded from the samples, the difference between test score inequality in the United States and other countries disappears completely for women and shrinks by 55% for men. [source]

“….when Devroye and Freeman….exclude immigration from samples for the United States, Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden, they find differences in test score inequality between the United States and the other countries declines by approximately 40%...” [source]​
Three points spring out from Hendel’s research.
The skills of U.S. immigrants are decidedly inferior to those of immigrants and native-born in other countries. This is quantified in another analysis of the IALS test scores: [Table 2]. U.S. immigrants scored 210, or 16 points less than the average of immigrants in other high-income countries. U.S. native born scored 284, or 8 points above the average of native-born in other high income countries.

Second (and closely related to the first), U.S. immigration policy is more important than our allegedly inferior education system in explaining why income inequality is greater here than in other countries......​
I imagine France's literacy score would go up too if one nets out their immigrants from the Middle East/North Africa. Though not as much as the USA's, due to our much Larger Mexican/Southern border problem.

Last edited:
The paragraph/preface before your quoted stats notes:

"In a study of 20 'high income' countries, the US ranked 12th on literacy tests. Illiteracy has become such a serious problem in our country that 44 million adults are now unable to read a simple story to their child. A few other shocking facts:"

[12th] Which is not that bad/pretty good considering the Flood of illiterate immigrants we have here who never did get an education thru no fault of this country.. except our leaky border enforcement.

As explained here:
VDARE.com: 11/10/05 - “Skills Shortage”—Or Immigration Overreach?
I imagine France's literacy score would go up too if one nets out their immigrants from the Middle East/North Africa. Though not as much as the USA's, due to our much Larger Mexican/Southern border problem.

I agree, you have a point there.

However, most Americans seem to be educated on a level that is directly useful to them.
I noticed this trend when I was a foreign student in the United States in the 80-s and I keep noticing it when I go there to visit my family each year.

Their main concern is limited within the boundaries of the U.S. and any conversation that turns toward countries outside of the border makes them feel quite uneasy.

But let's not change the subject of the thread.

It's worth starting a new thread in another section.

Is there a reason you are stepping back into this point, as if to make yourself look even less knowledgeable?

Moderator's Warning:
Knock off the personal attacks or there will be further consequences.

Back
Top Bottom