• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Jets Bomb Great Barrier Reef.

Not bombs but BDUs, what we called blue bricks. Considering that, that it was into 50 meter deep water and intentionally away from coral, there should be no environmental damage.

BDU'S are those the ones fileld with lead and encased in concrete?

poor great barrier reef cant catch a break lol. From reading another article though the damage was minimal! Overall pretty weak article from the BBC left it very open lol

BDU'S are those the ones fileld with lead and encased in concrete?

Not sure about the lead, but yeah. Same weight and shape as Mk 82s, but inert. It sounds like they did everything right once the mission was aborted. Not sure why the harriers cannot land with the load, but considering that, they handled it appropriately from the was it reads.

Not sure about the lead, but yeah. Same weight and shape as Mk 82s, but inert. It sounds like they did everything right once the mission was aborted. Not sure why the harriers cannot land with the load, but considering that, they handled it appropriately from the was it reads.

didn't even know that the US still used Harriers I thought I heard they were scrapping them?

What a GREAT story! They dropped bombs on the barrier reef! Well...except they werent really bombs, jettisoned them in an emergency as a safety precaution and DIDNT drop them on their intended target DUE TO SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, ensured they were dropped away from the coral reef and in deep water, and will likely be reclaimed. But...They BOMBED THE ****IN BARRIER REEF!! OMG!!!!

What a GREAT story! They dropped bombs on the barrier reef! Well...except they werent really bombs, jettisoned them in an emergency as a safety precaution and DIDNT drop them on their intended target DUE TO SAFETY PRECAUTIONS, ensured they were dropped away from the coral reef and in deep water, and will likely be reclaimed. But...They BOMBED THE ****IN BARRIER REEF!! OMG!!!!

Why is it likely they'll be retrieved?

Why is it likely they'll be retrieved?
If there is an environmental concern if nothing else than in the name of PR. But...didnt you read the headlines? They BOMBED THE ****ING BARRIER REEF! I mean...this is Pulitzer prize winning **** right here!

but it is kind of funny and would only happen to the US...

but it is kind of funny and would only happen to the US...
No, it would only be REPORTED if it was done by the US. Hey...BTW...did you hear? The US BOMBED THE ****ING BARRIER ****ING REEF! The BARRIER REEF! And they BOMBED IT!!! Swear ta god!!!

No, it would only be REPORTED if it was done by the US. Hey...BTW...did you hear? The US BOMBED THE ****ING BARRIER ****ING REEF! The BARRIER REEF! And they BOMBED IT!!! Swear ta god!!!

but that's why I mean its would only happen to the US that's why its funny.

but that's why I mean its would only happen to the US that's why its funny.
On the great grand scheme of things, thats probably a 3 of 10 on the weird **** o meter that happens on ranges. In Saudi Arabia, a group of our A-10s got some really bad range guidance from the Saudi FACs and laid out a combined total of about 4600 rounds of 30 MM party mix on one of a Saudi Princes bus caravan (luckily they werent on the buses-the 30 mm cannon with the targeting system can be surgical). We have seen industrial dumpsters mistaken for targets in ZAB Spain and bombs dropped behind training units at the Fort Lewis range...and those were live fire incidents.

If there is an environmental concern if nothing else than in the name of PR. But...didnt you read the headlines? They BOMBED THE ****ING BARRIER REEF! I mean...this is Pulitzer prize winning **** right here!

But would they normally be retrieved?

In other news, thousands of civilian casualties at the Great Barrier Reef. Rescue teams and with specially trained dolphins digging through the rubble. :lol:

On the great grand scheme of things, thats probably a 3 of 10 on the weird **** o meter that happens on ranges. In Saudi Arabia, a group of our A-10s got some really bad range guidance from the Saudi FACs and laid out a combined total of about 4600 rounds of 30 MM party mix on one of a Saudi Princes bus caravan (luckily they werent on the buses-the 30 mm cannon with the targeting system can be surgical). We have seen industrial dumpsters mistaken for targets in ZAB Spain and bombs dropped behind training units at the Fort Lewis range...and those were live fire incidents.

During Desert Shield, we had two pilots sent to do a practice bombing run somewhere(with live bombs). They somehow got the information wrong or just ended up at the wrong place, and ended up bombing a small oasis where camels where watered. I got to see the HUD video, camels are not supposed to fly through the air doing flips...

The pilot's callsigns where of course changed to Camel and Shredder.

But would they normally be retrieved?

Only if I was deemed a legit biological concern.
Say...did you hear? They BOMBED THE BARRIER REEF!!!

During Desert Shield, we had two pilots sent to do a practice bombing run somewhere(with live bombs). They somehow got the information wrong or just ended up at the wrong place, and ended up bombing a small oasis where camels where watered. I got to see the HUD video, camels are not supposed to fly through the air doing flips...

The pilot's callsigns where of course changed to Camel and Shredder.

Not funny but for some reason I see an old and weathered 'Gus' the camel sitting with his grandkids and great grand kids telling that story. So there we were, at the oasis fueling up, when out of nowhere....

We needed to level out the sea floor some for the oil platform we will be putting there. No big deal.

the article reported low fuel levels

Back
Top Bottom