• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US ISIS envoy resigns

Stop trying to intervene in areas where we can't fix or make matters worse. Understand that a certain level of oppressive governments in that region are currently how things need to be as it's the only thing that keeps the various religious sects and ethnicities from killing each other. Start reducing our support and relationship with Saudi Arabia, the country most responsible for global terrorism, which can start with not selling them more arms to commit war crimes in Yemen.

Don't really need to do a lot to make improvements or, at the very least, not get blood all over our hands and creating more enemies.

That makes sense but neither you nor I have all the information that we need to make such a decision. I happen to have a lot of confidence in General Mathis intelligence, common sense, patriotism, and knowledge and given that he quit because we are pulling out, it does suggest that he sees a lot of consequences coming. I certainly do not have any confidence in Trump's ability to evaluate any situation.

As such, I do believe that like most people that have brains, we need to let those that show real leadership capabilities as well as intelligence make the decisions. Trump does not fit into that category. If he was making a Real Estate decision I might go along with it. Any other decision, the probabilities of success favor going against what he thinks. After all, he did bankrupt 6 companies, none of which were in Real Estate.

US envoy in ISIS fight, Brett McGurk, resigns over US withdrawal from Syria

Brett+McGurk+DOD+Secretary+Mattis+Chairman+X1VoA6UDC02l.jpg

Brett McGurk and James Mattis - both US officials have now resigned over Trumps Syria withdrawal.

Yet another well-informed administration official resigns over Trumps disastrous Syria decision. Trumps impetuous cut and run, delivers victory to America's enemies .... Assad/Putin/Khamenei/Nasrallah.

It also sets up America's Syrian Kurdish allies (YPG/YPJ) for wholesale slaughter at the hands of Turkish dictator Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Related: U.S. Envoy Leading ISIS Fight Resigns Over Trump’s Syria Move

Well informed? Where is your thread that promoted his ideals prior to his resignation?

Brett McGurk and James Mattis - both US officials have now resigned over Trumps Syria withdrawal.

Yet another well-informed administration official resigns over Trumps disastrous Syria decision. Trumps impetuous cut and run, delivers victory to America's enemies .... Assad/Putin/Khamenei/Nasrallah.

It also sets up America's Syrian Kurdish allies (YPG/YPJ) for wholesale slaughter at the hands of Turkish dictator Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

This is terrible news. :(

This guy was leaving in the spring anyway. You can't quit if you already quit.

Whether you are right or not, the situation is that now getting out of Syria will mean we are giving it to Russia and to Iran and having them there in control is not of help to us, to Europe and much less to Israel.

Pointing out the errors made in the past is no solution to the existing problem. When errors are made, you need to consider the consequences as they are right now.

We aren't "giving Syria to Russia and Iran". Syria has always been allied with Iran and Russia. Russia has a large navel port there for that reason.

That makes sense but neither you nor I have all the information that we need to make such a decision. I happen to have a lot of confidence in General Mathis intelligence, common sense, patriotism, and knowledge and given that he quit because we are pulling out, it does suggest that he sees a lot of consequences coming. I certainly do not have any confidence in Trump's ability to evaluate any situation.

I'm not questioning his intelligence, thoughtfulness, or patriotism. Someone can have all that in spades and still have the wrong perspective on things because that's the culture in which they grew up and formed in. My one concern is for the Kurds, the only group that has been reliable allies and what they are potentially facing from Turkey. Now...if we can't enact enough pressure on Turkey, a NATO ally, to keep them from slaughtering the Kurds in Syria, we have much bigger problems to deal with than the disposition of the ME.

As such, I do believe that like most people that have brains, we need to let those that show real leadership capabilities as well as intelligence make the decisions. Trump does not fit into that category. If he was making a Real Estate decision I might go along with it. Any other decision, the probabilities of success favor going against what he thinks. After all, he did bankrupt 6 companies, none of which were in Real Estate.

The leaders "with brains" for decades, and through multiple administrations (to include Obama), have all gotten it wrong and we are seeing the results of their wrong-headedness today. Yet somehow people think we should still trust them to make the right decision? Keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results.

The leaders "with brains" for decades, and through multiple administrations (to include Obama), have all gotten it wrong and we are seeing the results of their wrong-headedness today. Yet somehow people think we should still trust them to make the right decision? Keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results.

So now you think that Trump, or you, are going to get it right? Have you ever given any thought that any other decision at this time could make it worse? Change for the sake of change is usually the wrong way to think.

An Obamidiot leftover from the "ISIS is the JV-Red Line in the Sand " administration. Wow...what a strategic genius he was.

Last edited:
So now you think that Trump, or you, are going to get it right? Have you ever given any thought that any other decision at this time could make it worse? Change for the sake of change is usually the wrong way to think.

I don't know how deeply Trump has thought about it. It could be no deeper than, "Not my circus, not my monkeys." level of thought. Someone can do the right thing for the wrong reasons.

I don't know how deeply Trump has thought about it. It could be no deeper than, "Not my circus, not my monkeys." level of thought. Someone can do the right thing for the wrong reasons.

So now we are at the flipping of a coin for making decisions?

Wow, we really can't be considered a world power anymore, can we?

'We Will Curse Them As Traitors': Syrian Kurds React To U.S. Troop Withdrawal Plan

There goes that asset. The most dependable US ally in the Middle East.

Gone. On a Trump whim.

Well informed? Where is your thread that promoted his ideals prior to his resignation?

Brett McGurk

Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
Incumbent
Assumed office
October 23, 2015
President Barack Obama
Donald Trump
Preceded by John Allen
Personal details
Born April 20, 1973 (age 45)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Spouse(s) Gina Chon
Education University of Connecticut (BA)
Columbia University (JD)
Brett H. McGurk (born April 20, 1973) is an American diplomat who is Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL. He was appointed by President Barack Obama on October 23, 2015,[1] and was retained in that role by the Trump administration. McGurk replaced General John R. Allen to whom he had been a deputy since September 16, 2014.

McGurk also served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Iraq and Iran, at the U.S. Department of State, and from October 2014 through January 2016 led 14 months of secret negotiations with Iran that led to a prisoner swap and release of four Americans from Evin Prison in Tehran, including Washington Post journalist, Jason Rezaian.[2] This assignment, among others, reinforced McGurk's "reputation as a doer", according to the New York Times.[3] He earlier served under President George W. Bush as Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Iraq and Afghanistan, and under President Obama as Special Advisor to the U.S. National Security Council and Senior Advisor to the U.S. Ambassador to Iraq. McGurk served as a law clerk to Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist on the U.S. Supreme Court during the Court's 2001 October Term.

Well there's the problem, these guys are well informed. If there's one thing we know about Trump it's that he is not well informed. And idiot, or a moron, sure. And for those too clueless to figure it out on their own, even many of Trump's top staff agree.

But McGurk and Mattis likely have different goals than Trump. For instance, do they own major hotels in Turkey?

In Istanbul, Surprise That Trump Towers Complex Is Linked to Trump .

Last edited:
Brett McGurk

Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant
Incumbent
Assumed office
October 23, 2015
President Barack Obama
Donald Trump
Preceded by John Allen
Personal details
Born April 20, 1973 (age 45)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Spouse(s) Gina Chon
Education University of Connecticut (BA)
Columbia University (JD)
Brett H. McGurk (born April 20, 1973) is an American diplomat who is Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL. He was appointed by President Barack Obama on October 23, 2015,[1] and was retained in that role by the Trump administration. McGurk replaced General John R. Allen to whom he had been a deputy since September 16, 2014.

McGurk also served as Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Iraq and Iran, at the U.S. Department of State, and from October 2014 through January 2016 led 14 months of secret negotiations with Iran that led to a prisoner swap and release of four Americans from Evin Prison in Tehran, including Washington Post journalist, Jason Rezaian.[2] This assignment, among others, reinforced McGurk's "reputation as a doer", according to the New York Times.[3] He earlier served under President George W. Bush as Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Iraq and Afghanistan, and under President Obama as Special Advisor to the U.S. National Security Council and Senior Advisor to the U.S. Ambassador to Iraq. McGurk served as a law clerk to Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist on the U.S. Supreme Court during the Court's 2001 October Term.

Was this posted on here prior to his resignation?

Judging someone by their disloyal accosiation isn’t winning any accolades.

So now we are at the flipping of a coin for making decisions?

Wow, we really can't be considered a world power anymore, can we?

That's not what I'm saying at all. Not even sure how you came to that conclusion as I've been pretty detailed. It's more like, "A broken clock is right twice a day." It doesn't matter what Trump's reasoning is. It's 100% irrelevant to me. He's making the right decision for the many reasons I've already stipulated, and I'm fine with that.

End the Forever Wars, stop messing other countries up in our hubris thinking we can fix them, bring our troops home.

End the Forever Wars, stop messing other countries up in our hubris thinking we can fix them, bring our troops home.

Then we can cut the military budget by 50-60% at least right?

That's not what I'm saying at all. Not even sure how you came to that conclusion as I've been pretty detailed. It's more like, "A broken clock is right twice a day." It doesn't matter what Trump's reasoning is. It's 100% irrelevant to me. He's making the right decision for the many reasons I've already stipulated, and I'm fine with that.

No, every single problem requires a decision that has been carefully thought out. The decisions will not always be the right ones but if they are done haphazardly, the probabilities of them being wrong go through the roof. The best way to make any decision is to discuss it with many knowledgeable people and then decide what is the best course of action. Deciding by "gut", like Trump does, is the absolute worst way given that you only have one opinion, your own, and with Trump not doing any reading and not interested in history, his decisions are uninformed.

Then we can cut the military budget by 50-60% at least right?

Maybe...we could also use the money to actually modernize. I shouldn't have to be using Vietnam era radios that barely work, among many other things.

No, every single problem requires a decision that has been carefully thought out. The decisions will not always be the right ones but if they are done haphazardly, the probabilities of them being wrong go through the roof. The best way to make any decision is to discuss it with many knowledgeable people and then decide what is the best course of action. Deciding by "gut", like Trump does, is the absolute worst way given that you only have one opinion, your own, and with Trump not doing any reading and not interested in history, his decisions are uninformed.

There is more than just me who sees these problems in the very same way, be it Rand Paul (R) or Tulsi Gabbard (D). And while I would definitely prefer a well thought-out decision, based in research and evidence, I'll take any win I can get in the "Less Horrible Wars" department, because we currently have two war parties and I'm not foreseeing many wins in this area.

There is more than just me who sees these problems in the very same way, be it Rand Paul (R) or Tulsi Gabbard (D). And while I would definitely prefer a well thought-out decision, based in research and evidence, I'll take any win I can get in the "Less Horrible Wars" department, because we currently have two war parties and I'm not foreseeing many wins in this area.

For every one that thinks like you or Trump, I can show you 100 (or more) that think differently. In addition, there is no one on your side that has a track record of success of consequence, while the opposite does. What qualifications do you, Rand Paul Tulsi Gabbard or even Trump have that can even being to go against someone like Mathis that has been involved in things like this his entire life and has had to make decisions in the past that resulted in a positive or negative outcome.

I am sorry, but your view is faulty. Are you willing to put your life at risk based on the decision of any of these people? I am willing to do that for someone like Mathis. At least, my chances of coming out alive are much higher than yours. Mathis has made many life and death decisions in his life, Trump, Rand Paul and Gabbard have made none yet.

For every one that thinks like you or Trump, I can show you 100 (or more) that think differently. In addition, there is no one on your side that has a track record of success of consequence, while the opposite does. What qualifications do you, Rand Paul Tulsi Gabbard or even Trump have that can even being to go against someone like Mathis that has been involved in things like this his entire life and has had to make decisions in the past that resulted in a positive or negative outcome.

I am sorry, but your view is faulty. Are you willing to put your life at risk based on the decision of any of these people? I am willing to do that for someone like Mathis. At least, my chances of coming out alive are much higher than yours. Mathis has made many life and death decisions in his life, Trump, Rand Paul and Gabbard have made none yet.

You can show me a million people that think warmongering BS like you and whoever else. It won't change the fact that ya'll idea of foreign policy has ****ed the world up and caused many of our own problems. Crack open a history book for once...your ignorance is so deep here that it's quite tiresome.

Back
Top Bottom