• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US intelligence indicates Iran paid bounties to Taliban for targeting American troops in Afghanistan

Metric Mouse

Your hi-top sneakers and your sailor tattoos.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Didn't we hear the exact same story, with a different villain, a few months ago?

Yeah, but that's Iran. It's ok.

Just wondering if the bounties they're offering are competitive with what the Russians are offering. Got any data on that?

I don't! I hesitate to ask why you are interested.

Yeah, but that's Iran. It's ok.

OK with Trump? Because, ya know, he's the supposed CinC. We do know it was OK for Putin, let's see if somehow he cares when it is Iran.

This from the same people who told you Hussein had WMDs.

The same people who couldn't find Iran on a map and have been systematically brainwashing gullible and clueless Americans into believing Iran is an existential threat-ignoring the fact that Iran hasn't attacked, threatened or invaded anyone for centuries. America, on the other hand...

The same people who couldn't find Iran on a map and have been systematically brainwashing gullible and clueless Americans into believing Iran is an existential threat-ignoring the fact that Iran hasn't attacked, threatened or invaded anyone for centuries. America, on the other hand...

I agree that Iran is not a threat, but they are a serious threat to their own people, and who better to swoop in and save them than the nation builders themselves. There are enough of them in both the Republican and Democrat parties to overrule Trump and get another long war going. Or we could elect Biden and get war anyway.

I agree that Iran is not a threat, but they are a serious threat to their own people, and who better to swoop in and save them than the nation builders themselves. There are enough of them in both the Republican and Democrat parties to overrule Trump and get another long war going. Or we could elect Biden and get war anyway.

Forcible regime change in Iran fomented by the CIA is how Iran changed from a benign, forward-looking democracy into a US-friendly dictatorship and subsequently the hard-line theocracy of today. The US conniving with Great Britain over access to Iranian oil created the very issues the West is complaining about. Joining the dots from the events of 1953 to now isn't hard.
It's a tragedy; back in the 70s I worked with several Irani folk, and more welcoming, friendly and delightful people you couldn't hope to meet.

Last edited:

This type of story is just one of the reasons I think that Trump could attack Iran in October. Americans tend to come together when the leaders say the nation is in danger - undecided voters who are between 10-15% of all voters would probably vote for the "MAN defending the Nation!"

What would be Trump's excuse for attacking Iran? Let me count the possibilities: 1) A 'false flag' attack on an American ship in the Persian Gulf 2) A missile attack on Israel 3) 'Intelligence' reports that say Iran is planning an actual #1 or #2 (4) Attack on the US military based in Qatar

This type of story is just one of the reasons I think that Trump could attack Iran in October. Americans tend to come together when the leaders say the nation is in danger - undecided voters who are between 10-15% of all voters would probably vote for the "MAN defending the Nation!"

What would be Trump's excuse for attacking Iran? Let me count the possibilities: 1) A 'false flag' attack on an American ship in the Persian Gulf 2) A missile attack on Israel 3) 'Intelligence' reports that say Iran is planning an actual #1 or #2 (4) Attack on the US military based in Qatar

Yes, any or all of the above. He would even use Iran's legitimate detaining of US sailors for 'accidentally' broaching Iran's territorial waters as an excuse. I recall clearly the outraged whinings from US conservatives over this; imagine, Iran had the effrontery to comply with and apply international laws concerning foreign military incursions into their territorial waters!

UNITED NATIONS CONVENTION ON THE LAW OF THE SEA

Navy punishes four sailors who were detained by Iran

Last edited:

I'm not sure Iran is interested or capable of actually attacking the United States in a meaningful way. They'll sit and spin like they always have, maybe paying for some suicide bomb attacks on civilians or shoot down one of their own airliners or maybe attack another Norwegian ship; all unlikely to goad the United States into a serious attack.

Iran doesn't have anything the United States wants, which is its biggest problem.

I'm not sure Iran is interested or capable of actually attacking the United States in a meaningful way. They'll sit and spin like they always have, maybe paying for some suicide bomb attacks on civilians or shoot down one of their own airliners or maybe attack another Norwegian ship; all unlikely to goad the United States into a serious attack.

Iran doesn't have anything the United States wants, which is its biggest problem.

That wasn't the same in 1953 when the US decided that Iran's oil was theirs to plunder. ALL of the issues the US has with Iran today stem from their connivance with Britain over access to Iranian oil. The CIA even conspired to overthrow Iran's legitimate democracy and effectively ruin the country for decades because Iran had the effrontery to nationalize their own oil reserves and tell the US and Britain to take a hike.

1953 Iranian coup d'etat - Wikipedia

64 Years Later, CIA Finally Releases Details of Iranian Coup – Foreign Policy

Last edited:
I thought it was Russia.
Is this where we blame Trump

I think it was both Russia and Iran. It's a complex, violent world out there. Especially the middle east, at the moment.

That wasn't the same in 1953 when the US decided that Iran's oil was theirs to plunder. ALL of the issues the US has with Iran today stem from their connivance with Britain over access to Iranian oil. The CIA even conspired to overthrow Iran's legitimate democracy and effectively ruin the country for decades because Iran had the effrontery to nationalize their own oil reserves and tell the US and Britain to take a hike.

1953 Iranian coup d'etat - Wikipedia

64 Years Later, CIA Finally Releases Details of Iranian Coup – Foreign Policy

Good thing the United States is essentially energy independent then. Kinda why Iran has no leverage outside of terrorism. I hope they're not still trying to play by 1950s rules. I don't think that'll work out for them very well.

Not sure about Great Britain. Maybe Iran can deal with them?

Good thing the United States is essentially energy independent then. Kinda why Iran has no leverage outside of terrorism. I hope they're not still trying to play by 1950s rules. I don't think that'll work out for them very well.

Not sure about Great Britain. Maybe Iran can deal with them?

Energy independent? Not really, and I note you are also a victim of your own anti-Iran propaganda. Remember who it was created the mess that is today's Iran in the first place? Yes, your country together with Britain. The 'Bastion of Democracy', the US, overthrew Iran's legitimate democracy in its greed for someone else's oil. ****ing hypocrites.

The EIA expects the US to import more oil that it produces this year after a short stint as a net exporter

Last edited:
So has Donny mentioed the bounties to Vlad yet? They must have had another of their regular chats by now! Face it, the constant torrent of outrages have pushed this particular crime down the running order and out of sight.

OK with Trump? Because, ya know, he's the supposed CinC. We do know it was OK for Putin, let's see if somehow he cares when it is Iran.

Do you care, now that it's Iran?

Trump is way too busy fighting his war against Americans to be bothered by this.

Energy independent? Not really, and I note you are also a victim of your own anti-Iran propaganda. Remember who it was created the mess that is today's Iran in the first place? Yes, your country together with Britain. The 'Bastion of Democracy', the US, overthrew Iran's legitimate democracy in its greed for someone else's oil. ****ing hypocrites.

The EIA expects the US to import more oil that it produces this year after a short stint as a net exporter

So we are an oil exporter, an exporter of refined oil products, (which is why the United States imports oil mixes from different sources anyway, even as a net exporter of light sweet crude) and the vast balance of oil that is imported comes from Canada and Mexico... what exactly does Iran have that the United States needs?

Surely Great Britain can take Iran under their wing, help them transition from building nuclear missiles and stop their terrorist funding, or whatever it is that the world wants Iran to do.

Do you care, now that it's Iran?

I care when anyone is putting bounties on Americans or any of our allies.

Trump doesn't seem to care either way.

Back
Top Bottom