• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US has the worst drivers of all developed countries

I feel a need to qualify my comments by saying they are wonderful people individually, and out of cars, but any city like my home here in Toronto that has had an influx of Asians, particularly from Hong Kong, South Korea, China, etc., knows that they are by far the worst drivers ever to get behind the wheel of a car. They may be able to do math in their heads, but finding a turn signal or finding the curb lane is like asking them to do brain surgery. Whenever I pass an accident, inevitably at least one car if not both or all cars are either Toyota's, Honda's, Kia's, Hundai's, etc. and driven by drivers dazed by the fact that the car hit something while they were fiddling with their phone or chatting with passengers or gawking at the scenery, or trying to cross three lanes of traffic from the far left lane to an exit they just realized they were going to miss.

Check the traffic statistics in your city. You'll find that the most dangerous intersections are those where a large segment of the population is from some part of Asia and newly arrived. Watch the Asian owned and operated driver training schools and see they train new Asian drivers to keep to the left lane at all times, never signal, and drive dangerously slow while competent drivers are forced to change lanes to get around them all the time not knowing what they may do next.

I've said in the past that I believe it's a conspiracy of the Chinese government to send to Canada the worst drivers in the world so that they will "drive" us bat **** crazy and then take over and fully repopulate this great country.

Hate to break it to you, but I took a group of YMCA kids on a bicentennial tour of the US in 76, with a detour into Canada for the Olympics. Drove through 40 states and then into Canada. The worst drivers were - Canada. Followed very closely by Oregon drivers who forget how to drive in the rain if it's dry for more than three days. :mrgreen:

You cannot determine the quality of a nation's drivers based solely on fatalities.

Two, you cherry picked your list, I note that Russia is almost double the US rate, as is China. And should have mentioned that Libya has a 73.

Figures lie and liars figure, has been a trusted motto of mine all my life.

What will tell who is the best drivers is a combination of total crashes, and moving violations per segment of the population

BINGO!! I just took a longer look at the list and what Viking posted is a load of crap. Full on, 100% pure lie. The US is #119 on the list and here's the countries that ranked higher:

*Libya,*Thailand,*Malawi,*Liberia,*Democratic Republic of the Congo,*Tanzania,*Central African Republic,*Iran,*Rwanda,*Mozambique,*Togo,*São Tomé and Príncipe,*Burkina Faso,*Gambia,*Dominican Republic,*Kenya,*Madagascar,*Zimbabwe,*Lesotho,*Benin,*Cameroon,*Guinea-Bissau,*Uganda,*Saudi Arabia,*Guinea,*Sierra Leone,*Senegal,*Angola,*Niger,*Congo,*Jordan,*Ghana,*Cabo Verde,*Mali,*Somalia,*Oman,*Ethiopia,*South Africa,*Zambia,*Vietnam,*Mauritania,*Tunisia,*Belize,*Sudan,*Ivory Coast,*Kazakhstan,*Swaziland,*Cook Islands,*Chad,*Eritrea,*Malaysia,*Namibia,*Algeria,*Botswana,*Brazil,*Bolivia,*Gabon,*Lebanon,*Kyrgyzstan,*Yemen,*El Salvador,*Mongolia,*Paraguay,*Nigeria,*Myanmar,*Iraq,*Ecuador,*Solomon Islands,*Suriname,*Guatemala,*Russia,*China,*Tajikistan,*Kuwait,*Armenia,*Saint Lucia,*Morocco,*Bosnia and Herzegovina,*Sri Lanka,*Cambodia,*Honduras,*Turkmenistan,*Guyana,***Nepal,*Colombia,*Papua New Guinea,*India,*Uruguay,*Timor-Leste,*Vanuatu,*Samoa,*Afghanistan,*Indonesia,*Nicaragua,*Dominica,*Qatar,*Albania,*Bhutan,*Laos,*Pakistan,*Trinidad and Tobago,*Peru,*Costa Rica,*Bahamas,*Belarus,*Bangladesh,*Argentina,*Ukraine,*Egypt,*Republic of Moldova,*Chile,*Mexico,*Mauritius,*Montenegro,*Georgia,*Jamaica,*Uzbekistan,*United Arab Emirates

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't believe any list about road fatalities that doesn't put Italy squarely on top :lol:

Those guys drive like ****ing maniacs.

Absolutely, and Israelis seem to put the drop in resale value of their cars at the top of their list of priorities. They drive so close together that you could fit a piece of paper between their cars and the paper wouldn't fall.

That said, when you have public transportation which is much more widespread an un-stigmatized as it is in most developed nations, their traffic deaths are obviously going to be much lower.

Absolutely, and Israelis seem to put the drop in resale value of their cars at the top of their list of priorities. They drive so close together that you could fit a piece of paper between their cars and the paper wouldn't fall.

That said, when you have public transportation which is much more widespread an un-stigmatized as it is in most developed nations, their traffic deaths are obviously going to be much lower.

The Dominican Republic. The police are corrupt, the "roads" have no signage [you need esp] and if it is physically and mechanically possible people do it, every driver WILL do it and at an excessive rate of speed. There are supposedly lanes for each direction, but are only marked near the airport. Of course they are narrow, have, for some reason, more buses than Seattle, and thousands of motorbikes, none of whom pay any attention to any kind of organization, they ride on the wrong side, on sidewalks, and bazars. You can hit by one while sitting at a sidewalk cafe. The only speed bumps are at police stations where they gather on the road collecting graft to let people pass.

To make matters worse, there's about 20 people on the island who can afford big cars, and they love big Detroit iron, and drive accordingly.

Oh, and people never stop for a crash, there are never any witnesses. The at fault is often the person with the deepest pockets.

Hate to break it to you, but I took a group of YMCA kids on a bicentennial tour of the US in 76, with a detour into Canada for the Olympics. Drove through 40 states and then into Canada. The worst drivers were - Canada. Followed very closely by Oregon drivers who forget how to drive in the rain if it's dry for more than three days. :mrgreen:

Well, from my perspective, Quebec isn't Canada. They like to call themselves a distinct society and I agree - I also agree that they can't drive - so I'm not surprised that you'd consider Montreal drivers to be terrible.

Well, from my perspective, Quebec isn't Canada. They like to call themselves a distinct society and I agree - I also agree that they can't drive - so I'm not surprised that you'd consider Montreal drivers to be terrible.
Well Quebec isn't Canada, but it is a part of Canada.

The worse drivers in the WORLD are in Boston. So yes, if we are counting Boston, then yes the worse drivers are in the US... :2razz:

I don't know about other countries, but I am increasingly fed up with the utter incompetence I see around me. So many people are eating, chatting on the cell, texting, etc., while they drive. The light turns green and I've got to honk after a few seconds because they're just sitting in front of me, utterly oblivious.

At this point, I'd rather they be drunk but focused on the road.

Back
Top Bottom