• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US has evidence that Russian troops in the Donbas are executing Ukrainians even as they surrender, official says

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

71c3f2672b8f54ee84f7ba666c038be0

The US has evidence that Russian troops in eastern Ukraine have executed people who are trying to surrender, a top US official told the United Nations Security Council on Wednesday. "We now have credible information that a Russian military unit operating in the vicinity of Donetsk executed Ukrainians who were attempting to surrender, rather than take them into custody," Beth Van Schaack, the US ambassador-at-large for Global Criminal Justice, said in the meeting. "If true, this would be in violation of a core principle of the law of war: the prohibition against the summary execution of civilians and of combatants who are hors de combat by virtue of surrender, injury, or other forms of incapacitation." Hors de combat is a French term used in international law to refer to someone in war who has clearly expressed an intention to surrender or who is injured and incapable of defending themselves.

Van Schaack continued: "These ... reports suggest that atrocities are not the result of rogue units or individuals; they rather reveal a deeply disturbing pattern of systematic abuse across all areas where Russia's forces are engaged." In the besieged port city of Mariupol, at least 21,000 civilians have been killed by Russian forces, local Ukrainian officials said earlier this month. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has accused Russia of committing "genocide" and called Russian soldiers "murderers, looters, butchers."

For Russian soldiers, war is carte blanche permission to murder, rape, and pillage.

No need to wonder why the Ukrainian troops holed up in the Azovstahl steel plant in Mariupol refuse to surrender.

This Putin genocide and senseless war shows exactly who he is and why he needs to be stopped as soon as possible. I don't know the answers except that Ukraine gets exactly what they need as far as weaponry and support to defend themselves and stop the raping and the murder. This has gone on too long, I wish the best for President Zelenskyy and his people. Putin must be stopped! :(

So...the administration has evidence war crimes are currently ongoing and innocent men women and children are being raped, beaten, and/or executed? What are they doing about it?

So...the administration has evidence war crimes are currently ongoing and innocent men women and children are being raped, beaten, and/or executed? What are they doing about it?

What would you like them to do about it?

This Putin genocide and senseless war shows exactly who he is and why he needs to be stopped as soon as possible. I don't know the answers except that Ukraine gets exactly what they need as far as weaponry and support to defend themselves and stop the raping and the murder. This has gone on too long, I wish the best for President Zelenskyy and his people. Putin must be stopped! :(

But who will bell this cat though?

You brought it up....should we all just wear some more ribbons to show how much we 'care'?

You're the one who asked what the US was doing about it.

Yet you apparently don't have a clue as to what exactly the US should be doing about it.

You're the one who asked what the US was doing about it.

Yet you apparently don't have a clue as to what exactly the US should be doing about it.
Oh I do for sure...but YOU are the one that brought the topic up. And you are nose deep in the administration. So...what do YOU think they should do about it...cluck their tongues disapprovingly...talk about how it cant be allowed....and then...nothing?

Love your little flag though. I can tell how much this all matters to you.

Oh I do for sure...but YOU are the one that brought the topic up.

I posted an article that most folks can readily understand.

But then again, you are hardly on a par with most folks.

And you are nose deep in the administration.

But you couldn't dig up any examples?

So...what do YOU think they should do about it...cluck their tongues disapprovingly...talk about how it cant be allowed....and then...nothing?

What do you think Mr. Mack? Send in Madison Crawdaddy and Marjorie Taylor Mama Klan?

Love your little flag though. I can tell how much this all matters to you.

You couldn't find Ukraine on a globe with an orange neon sticker on it.

Sending 6.4 billion dollars in security assistance.

Send
What would you like them to do about it?
Supply Ukraine with fighter planes and bombers. Hit the Russians behind the lines. Cripple their supply routes. Level the field of this war.

I posted an article that most folks can readily understand.

But then again, you are hardly on a par with most folks.

But you couldn't dig up any examples?

What do you think Mr. Mack? Send in Madison Crawdaddy and Marjorie Taylor Mama Klan?

You couldn't find Ukraine on a globe with an orange neon sticker on it.
You see? The only thing you are capable of is ignoring the inept response of the current administration and then try to draw some ridiculous idiotic comparison to people that literally have **** all to do with the conversation.

But again...it IS very awesome that you have that little flag sticker thingy on your posts. NOTHING shows how much you care more than an impotent and worthless empty gesture.

You see? The only thing you are capable of is ignoring the inept response of the current administration and then try to draw some ridiculous idiotic comparison to people that literally have **** all to do with the conversation.

Couldn't dig up any examples of me "nose deep in the administration" could ya?

The Fail Bucket for you Mr. Mack.

Supply Ukraine with fighter planes and bombers. Hit the Russians behind the lines. Cripple their supply routes. Level the field of this war.
A NATO country killing Russian soldiers would start World War 3.

No NATO nation is killing Russian soldiers.

What we have here is a proxy war. The West supplies the heavy weapons and Ukrainians prosecute the war on Ukrainian territory.

What don’t you understand about supplying Ukraine with fighters and bombers? Attacking their supply lines to isolate their armies. It would lead to a stalemate and possibly a truce. The war now projects to be endless and catastrophic for Ukraine.

What don’t you understand about supplying Ukraine with fighters and bombers? Attacking their supply lines to isolate their armies. It would lead to a stalemate and possibly a truce. The war now projects to be endless and catastrophic for Ukraine.
Your phrasing is odd and makes it difficult to understand what you are saying. I thought you meant we should supply Ukraine with fighters and bombers and attack [Russia's] supply lines to isolate their armies.

You seem to have meant that we should supply Ukraine with fighters and bombers so that they can attack Russia's supply lines to isolate their armies.

The problem is, the US doesn't have any fighters or bombers that Ukrainian pilots are trained to operate.

Your phrasing is odd and makes it difficult to understand what you are saying. I thought you meant we should supply Ukraine with fighters and bombers and attack [Russia's] supply lines to isolate their armies.

You seem to have meant that we should supply Ukraine with fighters and bombers so that they can attack Russia's supply lines to isolate their armies.

The problem is, the US doesn't have any fighters or bombers that Ukrainian pilots are trained to operate.
Poland offered fighter planes, MiG 29’s I think, that Ukraine can use. That was a month ago. Where there’s a will there’s a way. With an Air Force Ukraine could attack supply lines and isolate Russia forces. Without gas, food, and arms the war would end.

Poland offered fighter planes, MiG 29’s I think, that Ukraine can use. That was a month ago. Where there’s a will there’s a way. With an Air Force Ukraine could attack supply lines and isolate Russia forces. Without gas, food, and arms the war would end.
Then Poland should deliver them.

Then Poland should deliver them.
It’s clear to me that there should be a consensus amongst NATO countries as to the way forward, but that should have already been reached. The US must lead. We must find a way to help deplete Russian assets and resources. This is clearly the way to bring an end to this war. However, the longer the war last the weaker Russia becomes. This appears to be the strategy the US is embracing. It behooves us to drag it out for now. It’s the only positive press that this administration is getting. Politicians agree.

Reactions: lwf
Back
Top Bottom