• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US gun deaths reach highest level in nearly 40 years

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Last year marked a record-high for gun-related deaths in the U.S. in nearly four decades, according to new data released from Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention's WONDER database.

Nearly 40,000 people were killed by guns last year, according to the data.

The 39,773 recorded deaths from firearms marked an increase of more than 10,000 compared to the 28,874 deaths recorded in 1999.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...deaths-reach-highest-level-in-nearly-40-years

I think we have definitely reached a crescendo in the gun debate. A call for restricting guns should be demanded. 40,000 - 50,000, 60,000 enough is enough......the bodies are piling up.

Last edited:
Rights don't depend upon statistics. Nothing regarding the Constitutionality, effectiveness and enforceability of any new gun laws has changed.

That is quite telling.

40,000 people died last year because of gun violence.

If 4.2 million people die next year because of gun violence are you still going to tout the company line?

That is quite telling.

If 4.2 million people die next year because of gun violence are you still going to tout the company line?

It broke it all down and 2/3 of those are suicides....the public is in little danger of gun violence unless they remain in a domestic abuse situation or participate in a gang.

Maybe you should be more concerned about why so many people want to kill themselves.

That is quite telling.

Do you believe that people have a right to kill themselves?

No such right exists.

Of course it does.

If there is a right to life, one has the right to exercise it as they see fit. (oversimplified but adequate for now)

https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...deaths-reach-highest-level-in-nearly-40-years

I think we have definitely reached a crescendo in the gun debate. A call for restricting guns should be demanded. 40,000 - 50,000, 60,000 enough is enough......the bodies are piling up.

US Population in 1999 was 273 million https://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/p23-205.pdf

Current US Population is almost 328 million, an increase of 55 million people. U.S. Population (2018) - Worldometers

Yet gun deaths only increased by 11,000? Most of those (2/3's) are suicides (btw I support a person's right to life including voluntarily ending it).

So how does this equate to a problem with gun ownership?

But why doesn't anybody include the statistics that the more gun laws are imposed, the more gun crime we have?

The Brady Bill certainly didn't slow down or make a dent in the carnage before provisions of it were declared unconstitutional some years after it was passed.

In most years since then, more and more controls on guns become law but if your OP is accurate, gun crime significantly increased since 1999.

The highest concentrations of gun violence seem to happen in places that have the strongest gun controls.

Most mass killings occur in places designated as gun free zones and almost all are committed by men from broken homes, i.e. where the father was not in the home.

There are more than 16 million concealed carry permits active in the USA at this time, but no more than a handful of crimes have been committed by people who hold those permits making them the most law abiding demographic in the country.

I certainly am not opposed to sensible laws regulating gun use any more than I oppose sensible laws regulating any activities or instruments that present a hazard to others. But taking guns away from law abiding people only makes the world more dangerous for those law abiding people and everybody else.

The debate would certainly be more constructive and might result in action that would actually be beneficial if all the components that go into gun crime would be fair game to discuss: welfare/broken homes, gangs, illegal immigrants, gun free zones, radicalization, suppression of religious values in the public sphere etc. etc. etc. along with the regulation of guns and gun use.

So when it comes time to vote vote for politicians that will inact gun control. There is a process within our laws to amend the Constitution.

If you can't do that then clearly it's not enough.

If you want to suspend constitutional rights through government Fiat then maybe you should move to Venezuela.

Of course it does.

If there is a right to life, one has the right to exercise it as they see fit. (oversimplified but adequate for now)

Notice how sad of a statement it is that people in this country have an easier time finding a gun to commit suicide than they do poison.

Again your words, not mine.

Notice how sad of a statement it is that people in this country have an easier time finding a gun to commit suicide than they do poison.

Please source that it's easier to come up with a gun than poison...homes are full of poisons.

So you posted bull**** instead of facing the fact that people have a right to life...or not.

That is quite telling.

What company are you talking about? It is a constitutional right to own a gun.

Maybe instead of crowing about how bad we need gun control you do something worth the time.

If we wanted more gun control as a nation we would have it. In 250 years did our nation has been in existence we've actually implemented very few laws to control gun ownership.

So I don't think crowing about it is doing anything. The people have spoken they'll speak the next election and every subsequent election after that.

That is quite telling.

Show me where the right changes due to numbers? If the world is that dangerous, I'd be stupid to make it harder to defend myself.

Gravity can be found everywhere, as can hanging devices or high places.

That is quite telling.

Depends on the circumstances. If it’s 4 million gang members then good riddance

Do me a favor and do some research on the #1 method of suicide.

Irrelevant, what someone else does to themself is not a reason to restrict my actions

It's still not a matter of 'gun violence' that endangers the public. It's a private, personal illness issue and it's their right to choose suicide. It's a terrible thing to do to family and friends but the rest of us should not be punished because of their personal decision or illness.

Are you saying their lives are more important than those of us who keep our guns to protect ourselves and family? Our lives are less valuable?

Yet you compared guns to poison, one of the least effective means, instead of hanging/suffocation, which accounts for over half the number of gun suicides and has grown at a rate 6 times that of gun suicide for deaths since 1999. It's a easy substitute.

Well it isn't like gun laws I'm going to make guns magically disappear or not work. Nor will they make people mentally fit, nor will it take away the impetus to commit suicide.

Oh this tells me is that we need to focus more attention paid to mental health which I'm not against I'm absolutely for.

the last thing it makes me think is that people who carry guns shouldn't be allowed to anymore.

So it's an ineffectual argument.

Yet you compared guns to poison, one of the least effective means, instead of hanging/suffocation, which accounts for over half the number of gun suicides and has grown at a rate 6 times that of gun suicide for deaths since 1999. It's a easy substitute.

Forget the fact that if someone wants to commit suicid and they would prefer using a gun, they likely do not care about obeying laws.

The suicide argument is a bad one.

Back
Top Bottom