• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Government Shutdown Looms

Does the US government shutdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Government funding runs out in September 2020.

In light of everything else, are we heading for a shutdown at the end of this month?

In light of everything else, are we heading for a shutdown at the end of this month?

September 30, 2020 is the end of the federal fiscal year. Before the month is out you can expect either a Continuing Resolution, an Omnibus bill, or another Supplemental Spending bill passed by both houses of Congress with most-likely a veto-proof majority. One thing is absolutely certain, neither Democrats nor Republicans will fulfill their constitutionally responsibility and pass all twelve appropriation bills. They haven't done it for the last 22 years, and they aren't going to suddenly change and become responsible now.

Come September and October millions of people will start to miss their rents and mortgage payments. The Senate Republicans thought it was more important to go on vacation rather than help out the American people struggling to pay their bills.. Why working, blue collar Americans vote Republican is beyond me..

Anyway when people start to miss their mortgages the foreclosures will skyrocket, the housing market will crash, and there's a chance the economy will crash and make the 2008 crash look mild.

I'm much more worried about hard working Americans paying their bills and the economy crashing yet again, than if the government shuts down....

I doubt anyone sees political advantage of a shutdown so close to election, odds are a last minute deal will punt the issue into the hands of the next Congress to deal with.

I doubt it. The last government shutdown, a 35 day shutdown insisted upon by Donald Trump to strong-arm his wall money, didn't go very well for Trump or the GOP.

I am so tired of this shutdown crap. If I could go back in time, I'd strangle Newt in his cradle.

September 30, 2020 is the end of the federal fiscal year. Before the month is out you can expect either a Continuing Resolution, an Omnibus bill, or another Supplemental Spending bill passed by both houses of Congress with most-likely a veto-proof majority. One thing is absolutely certain, neither Democrats nor Republicans will fulfill their constitutionally responsibility and pass all twelve appropriation bills. They haven't done it for the last 22 years, and they aren't going to suddenly change and become responsible now.

Wondering where in our Constitution you see this as being a Constitutional responsibility?

Cant vote, thought they would have a relief bill done before now and yet here we are, so …..
Will the Repubs risk more damage to their Party by allowing the government to be shutdown? To do so would be capitulating the election to the Dems.

Come September and October millions of people will start to miss their rents and mortgage payments. The Senate Republicans thought it was more important to go on vacation rather than help out the American people struggling to pay their bills.. Why working, blue collar Americans vote Republican is beyond me..

Anyway when people start to miss their mortgages the foreclosures will skyrocket, the housing market will crash, and there's a chance the economy will crash and make the 2008 crash look mild.

I'm much more worried about hard working Americans paying their bills and the economy crashing yet again, than if the government shuts down....

Good. This time we can take the foreclosed houses and give it to black folks as reparations

No shutdown, the gop has zero to gain from it.

Good. This time we can take the foreclosed houses and give it to black folks as reparations

People of color scare the hell out of you guys. It's an obsession . If you live your own lives and turn off Fox I promise you you will be happier..

People of color scare the hell out of you guys. It's an obsession . If you live your own lives and turn off Fox I promise you you will be happier..

Stop spreading lies and stupidity.

Cant vote, thought they would have a relief bill done before now and yet here we are, so …..
Will the Repubs risk more damage to their Party by allowing the government to be shutdown? To do so would be capitulating the election to the Dems.

Why do you assume republicans will shut down the government? Arent there democrat in government as well?

Why do you assume republicans will shut down the government? Arent there democrat in government as well?

Who shut it down last time, the Repubs
Who has the Relief Bill sitting in limbo, the Repubs
Do you expect a difference this time if it is shut down?

People are working where I live.

Good. They are working here in NY too. Unemployment rate is still 10+%.. So obviously some people aren't working, and they are going to need help..

Unemployment until it runs out, then get back to work somewhere.

Wondering where in our Constitution you see this as being a Constitutional responsibility?

If you had actually read the US Constitution you can find under Article I, Section 7. The House, specifically, has the constitutional responsibility to raise revenues in order to form a budget, which the Senate may amend. I'm not the least bit surprised you were unaware. Progressives are unaware of many things in the US Constitution that they have never read, which is why they are always violating it.

Who shut it down last time, the Repubs
Who has the Relief Bill sitting in limbo, the Repubs
Do you expect a difference this time if it is shut down?

You seem to think that whatever the House passes must be approved of by the senate and the president or else. Thats not how it works

Are you saying that federal wildland firefighter are not hard working? You do realize the feds employ about 2.7 million civilian workers. Wildfire is just one small part.

Congress and President Trump. I dare you to let the government shut down while wildfires are still happening. See how that will help you out come November election.

Unemployment until it runs out, then get back to work somewhere.

Unemployment payments aren't the answer, you know that.. Way too many variables involved.. Neither is the line' go work someplace else'.. Especially when we''re in a recession. Amazing, and scary how little Republicans care about the working man, and people with family and homes.

And many keep voting against their own interests and families by voting Republican. Maybe someday they'll wake up and learn.

Unemployment payments aren't the answer, you know that.. Way too many variables involved.. Neither is the line' go work someplace else'.. Especially when we''re in a recession. Amazing, and scary how little Republicans care about the working man, and people with family and homes.

And many keep voting against their own interests and families by voting Republican. Maybe someday they'll wake up and learn.

What is the answer then?

Are you saying that federal wildland firefighter are not hard working? You do realize the feds employ about 2.7 million civilian workers. Wildfire is just one small part.

Congress and President Trump. I dare you to let the government shut down while wildfires are still happening. See how that will help you out come November election.

Help me?? The Republicans are the ones who usually are responsible for the shutdowns.. Pin any shut-down on them.. When push comes to shove the Republicans in the Senate will just go on another vacation....

Anyway the Fed employees will be fine, they are taken care off during shutdowns, especially the essential workers.

A government shutdown is not very likely. In the last 20 years there have only been 5 years when Congress passed a budget (a.k.a. Continuing Resolution, Omnibus, or Supplemental Spending bill) that a President could veto. Bush43 had 5 years when Congress (both Democrats and Republicans) passed veto-proof budgets. Only Obama's first two-years as President were not veto-proof budgets passed by Congress. Trump has not yet had a budget passed by Congress that wasn't veto-proof.

In order for a President to be responsible for shutting down the government two things must happen first: 1) Congress must actually pass a budget; and 2) The budget must not pass Congress with a veto-proof majority. Like in 1995, when Clinton shutdown the government by vetoing two budgets passed by Congress in 1995. The third budget passed Congress with a veto-proof majority, which ended the government shutdown.

Trump threatened to shutdown the government in 2018, but then Congress passed a Continuing Resolution bill with a veto-proof majority. Taking that option off the table.

In 2019 Congress waited until the last second before passing an Omnibus bill just before Christmas. The Omnibus bill passed Congress with a veto-proof majority, but since Congress passed the bill just before they recessed for the Christmas break, Trump could have refused to sign the bill making it a "pocket veto." However, since Congress already passed the bill with more than a two-thirds majority, it is a good bet that Congress would have overrode a "pocket veto" the same day they returned after the Christmas break. So all a pocket veto would have accomplished was shutting down government for that two-week period. Which probably explains why Trump signed the bill.

What is the answer then?

Another stimulus. Another round of $1200 checks... If people start to lose their homes and apartments because they miss mortgage and rent payments they sure as hell won't be able to spend money during the Christmas Shopping season(usually the time of year that make or break many businesses).. So 2nd Covid wave or no 2nd wave without people spending money over the next few months, the economy can't recover.. Unless we're careful between student loans and foreclosures the economy could be headed for a perfect storm of trouble.

And please don't use the 'debt and deficit' argument.. I heard that for 8 years of Obama, but now that he's gone no one, and I mean NO ONE cares about the debt anymore..

Back
Top Bottom