• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US Government Shutdown Looms

Does the US government shutdown?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another stimulus. Another round of $1200 checks... If people start to lose their homes and apartments because they miss mortgage and rent payments they sure as hell won't be able to spend money during the Christmas Shopping season(usually the time of year that make or break many businesses).. So 2nd Covid wave or no 2nd wave without people spending money over the next few months, the economy can't recover.. Unless were careful between student loans and foreclosures the economy could be headed for a perfect storm of trouble.

And please don't use the 'debt and deficit' argument.. I heard that for 8 years of Obama, but now that he's gone no one, and I mean NO ONE cares about the debt anymore..

I think the stimulus has to be in the scale of 11 trillion dollars in order to be effective

Another stimulus. Another round of $1200 checks... If people start to lose their homes and apartments because they miss mortgage and rent payments they sure as hell won't be able to spend money during the Christmas Shopping season(usually the time of year that make or break many businesses).. So 2nd Covid wave or no 2nd wave without people spending money over the next few months, the economy can't recover.. Unless were careful between student loans and foreclosures the economy could be headed for a perfect storm of trouble.

And please don't use the 'debt and deficit' argument.. I heard that for 8 years of Obama, but now that he's gone no one, and I mean NO ONE cares about the debt anymore..

Are the jobs never coming back for those still out of work? I'm hearing from some contractors that young workers are slow in coming back.

Are the jobs never coming back for those still out of work? I'm hearing from some contractors that young workers are slow in coming back.

Young workers don't have mortgages... They're not the people who really need the help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for anyone who wants a job and can work should get a job and should work. I'm not asking for hand-outs or any of that. But over the next 3 months we have to be careful. Home owners are starting to feel the pain.

Another housing market crash, which will lead to banks failing.. We don't nee that again.. In 2008 the crash happened so fast I don't think anyone could have prevented it.. This time we can see the signs, there's no reason the government can't go to work, put aside their petty differences and help the people who need it.

Young workers don't have mortgages... They're not the people who really need the help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% for anyone who wants a job and can work should get a job and should work. I'm not asking for hand-outs or any of that. But over the next 3 months we have to be careful. Home owners are starting to feel the pain.

Another housing market crash, which will lead to banks failing.. We don't nee that again.. In 2008 the crash happened so fast I don't think anyone could have prevented it.. This time we can see the signs, there's no reason the government can't go to work, put aside their petty differences and help the people who need it.

Who is the Demographic in such need? What career fields etc.

You seem to think that whatever the House passes must be approved of by the senate and the president or else. Thats not how it works
Wrong again, what I expect is the House to come up with a Bill, submit it to the Senate, then the Senate comes up with their own Bill or Changes, then the two sides sit down and hammer out a deal that both sides can be comfortable sending off to the President for approval, meaning Compromise. That is a rare thing these days, it was under Obama and still is under trump, I expect the Congress to do their Damn Job, nothing less.

Wrong again, what I expect is the House to come up with a Bill, submit it to the Senate, then the Senate comes up with their own Bill or Changes, then the two sides sit down and hammer out a deal that both sides can be comfortable sending off to the President for approval, meaning Compromise. That is a rare thing these days, it was under Obama and still is under trump, I expect the Congress to do their Damn Job, nothing less.

I think the senate needs a new rule that mandates every bill that is passed by the house must receive an up or down vote.

I think the senate needs a new rule that mandates every bill that is passed by the house must receive an up or down vote.
Agree 100%, at least it puts them on record for all to see.

Ok. Fair enough. Id like to see that too, but I dont hold out much hope that will happen

I think the real solution is that the House needs to stop passing bills on purely party line votes then dropping them off at the Senate that doesnt function that way

If trump has any say there will be......

CARTOON-0201.jpg

.....republicans and putin chose him destroy America, not help it.

Help me?? The Republicans are the ones who usually are responsible for the shutdowns.. Pin any shut-down on them.. When push comes to shove the Republicans in the Senate will just go on another vacation....

Anyway the Fed employees will be fine, they are taken care off during shutdowns, especially the essential workers.

Nice backtracking on your comment.

Government funding runs out in September 2020.

In light of everything else, are we heading for a shutdown at the end of this month?

I'm totally okay with a government shutdown in September.

It's not like the government is doing anything positive anyway.

A government shutdown is not very likely. In the last 20 years there have only been 5 years when Congress passed a budget (a.k.a. Continuing Resolution, Omnibus, or Supplemental Spending bill) that a President could veto. Bush43 had 5 years when Congress (both Democrats and Republicans) passed veto-proof budgets. Only Obama's first two-years as President were not veto-proof budgets passed by Congress. Trump has not yet had a budget passed by Congress that wasn't veto-proof.

In order for a President to be responsible for shutting down the government two things must happen first: 1) Congress must actually pass a budget; and 2) The budget must not pass Congress with a veto-proof majority. Like in 1995, when Clinton shutdown the government by vetoing two budgets passed by Congress in 1995. The third budget passed Congress with a veto-proof majority, which ended the government shutdown.

Trump threatened to shutdown the government in 2018, but then Congress passed a Continuing Resolution bill with a veto-proof majority. Taking that option off the table.

In 2019 Congress waited until the last second before passing an Omnibus bill just before Christmas. The Omnibus bill passed Congress with a veto-proof majority, but since Congress passed the bill just before they recessed for the Christmas break, Trump could have refused to sign the bill making it a "pocket veto." However, since Congress already passed the bill with more than a two-thirds majority, it is a good bet that Congress would have overrode a "pocket veto" the same day they returned after the Christmas break. So all a pocket veto would have accomplished was shutting down government for that two-week period. Which probably explains why Trump signed the bill.

There have been 21 shutdowns in US History.

We have had
- 3 under President Trump so far
- 1 under President Obama
- 2 under President Clinton
- 1 under President HW Bush
- 8 under President Reagan
- 5 under President Carter
- 1 under President Ford
List of Government Shutdowns

Bottom line Congress and the President have failed to carry out their duty in the past. In the end the taxpayer gets the shaft.

I think the real solution is that the House needs to stop passing bills on purely party line votes then dropping them off at the Senate that doesnt function that way

It does totally function that way. Has for more than 200 years.

People of color scare the hell out of you guys. It's an obsession . If you live your own lives and turn off Fox I promise you you will be happier..

I am supporting reparations. Apparently you do not. Perhaps you should turn off Fox.

It does totally function that way. Has for more than 200 years.

It totally does not function that way. The Senate needs 60 votes, so a party line House bill goes nowhere.

It totally does not function that way. The Senate needs 60 votes, so a party line House bill goes nowhere.

And vice versa.

And since the house has to originate all spending bills, let me know how that works out on September 20th.

And vice versa.

And since the house has to originate all spending bills, let me know how that works out on September 20th.

That was my point. :roll: If the House originates a spending bill on a party line vote it is doomed in the senate. If the House would attempt to pass something bipartisan for a change, the system might start to function and we will stop going from shutdown to shutdown to shutdown.

That was my point. :roll: If the House originates a spending bill on a party line vote it is doomed in the senate. If the House would attempt to pass something bipartisan for a change, the system might start to function and we will stop going from shutdown to shutdown to shutdown.

Good. I'd love to have that sitting in the GOP's lap on November 3rd. Especially Mitch McConnell's.

Good. I'd love to have that sitting in the GOP's lap on November 3rd. Especially Mitch McConnell's.

So your only interest is games and partisan advantage. You should have jut said so

So your only interest is games and partisan advantage. You should have jut said so

So what? Are you trying to pretend with a straight face that you are not partisan? :lol:

So what? Are you trying to pretend with a straight face that you are not partisan? :lol:

I never said that. Nor did it have anything to do with the point I was making or the post you responded to. Clearly, you arent following along this conversation very well so you can continue on your own.

There have been 21 shutdowns in US History.

We have had
- 3 under President Trump so far
- 1 under President Obama
- 2 under President Clinton
- 1 under President HW Bush
- 8 under President Reagan
- 5 under President Carter
- 1 under President Ford
List of Government Shutdowns

Bottom line Congress and the President have failed to carry out their duty in the past. In the end the taxpayer gets the shaft.

They obviously have a very loose definition, since most of those so-called "shutdowns" the federal government was fully funded, like in 2019. The fact of the matter is that Congress passed a veto-proof budget in 2018 and 2019. Threatening to use funds that Congress did not allocate for a border wall is not shutting down government since the budget had already passed. Trump didn't get the funding he wanted, but the federal government was still being funded, so there was no shutdown.

A government shutdown can only occur if Congress fails to pass a budget, or if the President vetoes a budget that has been passed by Congress. Both Reagan and Clinton vetoed budgets passed by Congress. Ford, Carter, Bush41, Budh43, Obama, and Trump have not.

The House came up with a bill a couple of months ago.. The Senate never acted on it, never sat down and discussed it, they never addressed it, then went on vacation.

Back
Top Bottom