• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US fails to win UN condemnation of Hamas militants in Gaza

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

12/6/18
UNITED NATIONS — A U.S.-sponsored draft resolution that for the first time would have condemned the militant Islamic group Hamas, which controls Gaza, failed to win the required two-thirds majority in the U.N. General Assembly on Thursday. Before the vote on the resolution, the 193-member world body had narrowly voted to require a two-thirds majority for approval as sought by Arab nations for rather than the simple majority urged by the United States. U.S. Ambassador Nikki Haley told the assembly before the vote that it could make history and unconditionally speak out against Hamas, which she called “one of the most obvious and grotesque cases of terrorism in the world.” “What the U.N. chooses to do today will speak volumes about each country’s seriousness when it comes to condemning anti-Semitism,” she said. “Because there is nothing more anti-Semitic than saying terrorism is not terrorism when it’s used against the Jewish people and the Jewish state.”

I think everyone should see who voted yes/no/abstain concerning condemning the Hamas terrorist organization.....

DtzruAqWoAA0efk.jpg

Obviously nobody bothers reading Hamas' Charter any more.:roll:

Oh looky - trump's best friends Russia and Saudi Arabia voted AGAINST this. Once again trump FAILS.

Oy vey! That is a stupid conclusion.

TRUMP CARD....

And in the #2 post... Impressive.

Antisemite card played OP................ trumps the Trump cards introduction............

Some interesting points that were not cited from the article in the OP

1. It appears the US was forced to make an amendment that it would ......... "support a comprehensive peace agreement “bearing in mind relevant United Nations resolutions.” " in order to get 28 votes from EU members

2. An Irish resolution calling for a " “Comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East " enjoyed enormous global support being " overwhelmingly approved by a vote of 156-6, with 12 abstentions.

Those that are the least bit clued up about UN GA votes on the conflict will not be surprised to learn that the 6 votes against it were as follows .........Australia, Israel, Liberia, Marshall Islands, Nauru, United States

Thus confirming both the Israeli and US sophistry wrt UN voting and claims of wanting a peaceful and just resolution of the conflict. Recall the US amendment to collect the 28 EU votes for their own proposition ( point 1 above )

Be sure the US veto is what has stopped the resolution of this conflict for decade after decade , ongoing

What was antisemitic about the OP?

Please be clear and concise.

Read the content of the opening post again and see where and who plays the card.

I think everyone should see who voted yes/no/abstain concerning condemning the Hamas terrorist organization.....

DtzruAqWoAA0efk.jpg

I noticed that Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras all voted YES, but apparently we're still busy calling them terrorists, or at the very least, accusing them of sending terrorists. Any chance Twumpy might ease up on his own militant rhetoric against these nations now that we know that they're in our corner on the Hamas issue?

I doubt it.

It isn't so much what anybody here considers Hamas to be, it's more this ------------------->

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_positions_on_the_nature_of_Hamas#International_designation_of_Hamas

I've read all their charters past and present. Then I look at their media, like Al-Aqsa TV and Al-Fateh.

"We want to wage jihad and blow up the Jews"

Sorry, I don't buy into this so called "revised Hamas charter", it's bullcrap. Hamas is every bit as much a terrorist organization as it has always been, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

The Israel-Palestine-Hamas problem is 100% intractable and always will be till either the end of time.
Neither nation is interested in solving it.

I noticed that Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras all voted YES, but apparently we're still busy calling them terrorists, or at the very least, accusing them of sending terrorists. Any chance Twumpy might ease up on his own militant rhetoric against these nations now that we know that they're in our corner on the Hamas issue?

I doubt it.

I think you have it scoped wrong Mr Strangler............ think US foreign aid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-un-diplomats-will-taking-names-vote-against/

Sure it was on the Jerusalem vote but surely doesn't end there

What is anti-semitic about the OP. Your claim. Your burden.

Read the link content in the OP and it becomes clear who played it and where.

Oh I understand about the foreign aid. I was just being sarcastic. :)

Fairy nuff :)

Obviously they don't have the same card to play to bag European votes so they make out they are committed to existing UN resolutions and then vote against them when their own resolution flopped. Europeans can claim something of a hollow victory but the truth is something else altogether imo

I've read all their charters past and present. Then I look at their media, like Al-Aqsa TV and Al-Fateh.

Sorry, I don't buy into this so called "revised Hamas charter", it's bullcrap. Hamas is every bit as much a terrorist organization as it has always been, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

The Israel-Palestine-Hamas problem is 100% intractable and always will be till either the end of time.

Hamas , imo , are trying to change in order to get a seat at the table but the status quo suits both Fatah and Israel

Israel , by keeping a wedge between Hamas and Fatah , puts on ice any outside calls for serious negotiations leading to a resolution of the conflict. The " we have no legitimate negotiating partner " has stood it well

Fatah , seeing Hamas as rivals to their supremacy in Palestinian political culture , ar happy to see them being seen as the perennial outcasts

Hamas is trying to develop itself as Fatah did and their paths have been somewhat similar in that regard

Division between the Palestinians suits Israels strategy of solidifying it's takeover of Palestinian territories and gives it time to change the facts on the ground that is making any notions of a two state solution something of a dead letter

I agree with you about the intractability of many/most of the players hence why I think the UN should be given the task of creating as fair a resolution as is possible using international law as the framework for negotiations. For that to happen the US would have to waive it's veto power which , for decades now , has blocked such opportunities

Hamas , imo , are trying to change in order to get a seat at the table but the status quo suits both Fatah and Israel

Israel , by keeping a wedge between Hamas and Fatah , puts on ice any outside calls for serious negotiations leading to a resolution of the conflict. The " we have no legitimate negotiating partner " has stood it well

Fatah , seeing Hamas as rivals to their supremacy in Palestinian political culture , ar happy to see them being seen as the perennial outcasts

Hamas is trying to develop itself as Fatah did and their paths have been somewhat similar in that regard

Division between the Palestinians suits Israels strategy of solidifying it's takeover of Palestinian territories and gives it time to change the facts on the ground that is making any notions of a two state solution something of a dead letter

I agree with you about the intractability of many/most of the players hence why I think the UN should be given the task of creating as fair a resolution as is possible using international law as the framework for negotiations. For that to happen the US would have to waive it's veto power which , for decades now , has blocked such opportunities

Much of what you're referring to might sound reasonable but it's a fact that both Israel and the Palestinian people look all the way back to early British political moves on the issue. The Israelis naturally believe that the British decision on Palestine was right and just, and of course Palestinians see it as a theft and usurpation.

Addressing the British Mandate to rule Palestine calls Israel's existence directly into question, which is something that Palestinians naturally wish to come about.

Intractable, one hundred percent intractable.
I cannot imagine or conceive of any instrument or event which could ever clear this logjam.

The eternal optimist. Willing to sacrifice the last Israeli in pursuit of your most noble ideals.

You have faith in Hamas. You said it yourself. That’s worth a re-examination, along with pretty much every other aspect of your worldview and value system....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the point.

Yup, they're both very much at home in the current status

Back
Top Bottom