• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US faces ‘worst’ flu season, coronavirus death toll of 300,000 by December

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
US faces ‘worst’ flu season, coronavirus death toll of 300,000 by December | South China Morning Post

The US coronavirus death toll passed 170,000 on Sunday after recording at least 515 more fatalities in a day

US remains the global epicentre for Covid-19 deaths, followed Brazil, Mexico, India and Britain

The United States surpassed 170,000 coronavirus deaths as health officials expressed concerns over Covid-19 complicating the autumn flu season.
Deaths rose by at least 515 on Sunday, with Florida, Texas and Louisiana, leading the rise in fatalities.

The United States has at least 5.4 million confirmed cases, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University, the highest in the world. However that figure was likely an undercount as the country still has not ramped up testing to recommended levels.

US public health officials and authorities were concerned about a possible autumn resurgence in cases amid the start of the flu season, which would likely exacerbate efforts to treat the coronavirus.
=========================================================================
Last time I checked, no one gets out of here alive. Always look on the bright side of life.

US faces ‘worst’ flu season, coronavirus death toll of 300,000 by December | South China Morning Post

The US coronavirus death toll passed 170,000 on Sunday after recording at least 515 more fatalities in a day

US remains the global epicentre for Covid-19 deaths, followed Brazil, Mexico, India and Britain

The United States surpassed 170,000 coronavirus deaths as health officials expressed concerns over Covid-19 complicating the autumn flu season.
Deaths rose by at least 515 on Sunday, with Florida, Texas and Louisiana, leading the rise in fatalities.

The United States has at least 5.4 million confirmed cases, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University, the highest in the world. However that figure was likely an undercount as the country still has not ramped up testing to recommended levels.

US public health officials and authorities were concerned about a possible autumn resurgence in cases amid the start of the flu season, which would likely exacerbate efforts to treat the coronavirus.
Last time I checked, no one gets out of here alive. Always look on the bright side of life.

Cool story. Might as well start smoking the substance of our choice.

every 80 years there is a crisis according to strauss howe

lincoln,washington, and FDR lead us through them-who would be the hero this time?

The trend is for 300K by Dec 1 but we'll be lucky to do so if the Red State govs keep pushing Trump doctrine. They're doing they're best to beat our Spanish Flu record. A premature release of a not fully proved vaccine will only worsen matters thereafter. Unless America changes it's behavior in response to the virus, we'll be lucky to keep it much below 600K before Sep 2021, assuming we get a working vaccine.

every 80 years there is a crisis according to strauss howe

lincoln,washington, and FDR lead us through them-who would be the hero this time?

Putin or Stalin. ;)

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Nobody expects the spanish inquisition.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The trend is for 300K by Dec 1 but we'll be lucky to do so if the Red State govs keep pushing Trump doctrine. They're doing they're best to beat our Spanish Flu record. A premature release of a not fully proved vaccine will only worsen matters thereafter. Unless America changes it's behavior in response to the virus, we'll be lucky to keep it much below 600K before Sep 2021, assuming we get a working vaccine.
We could stop aboritions is women stopped having sex and we could stop aides if men stopped having sex with each other. We could stop obesity if people stopped consuming more than 2000 calories per day. I'm guessing you still are not seeing the logical fallacy in your argument but at least I made a good faith effort to point it out.

Yet, some on the right wing may still allege the pandemic is a Hoax.

Vote blue not false witness bearing Red!

do you understant strauss howe?

Strauss–Howe generational theory - Wikipedia

Academic response to the theory has been mixed—some applauding Strauss and Howe for their "bold and imaginative thesis" and others criticizing the theory as being overly-deterministic, unfalsifiable, and unsupported by rigorous evidence,[4][5][6][7][8] "about as scientific as astrology or a Nostradamus text."[9] Strauss–Howe generational theory has also been described by some historians and journalists as a "pseudoscience"[6][10][11] "kooky",[12] and "an elaborate historical horoscope that will never withstand scholarly scrutiny."[13][14][15] Academic criticism has focused on the lack of rigorous empirical evidence for their claims,[16] and the authors' view that generational groupings are more powerful than other social groupings such as economic class, race, sex, religion, and political parties.[17]​

I'll pass, thank you.

Strauss–Howe generational theory - Wikipedia

Academic response to the theory has been mixed—some applauding Strauss and Howe for their "bold and imaginative thesis" and others criticizing the theory as being overly-deterministic, unfalsifiable, and unsupported by rigorous evidence,[4][5][6][7][8] "about as scientific as astrology or a Nostradamus text."[9] Strauss–Howe generational theory has also been described by some historians and journalists as a "pseudoscience"[6][10][11] "kooky",[12] and "an elaborate historical horoscope that will never withstand scholarly scrutiny."[13][14][15] Academic criticism has focused on the lack of rigorous empirical evidence for their claims,[16] and the authors' view that generational groupings are more powerful than other social groupings such as economic class, race, sex, religion, and political parties.[17]​

I'll pass, thank you.

it is the closest thing we got to the cyrstal ball

We could stop aboritions is women stopped having sex and we could stop aides if men stopped having sex with each other. We could stop obesity if people stopped consuming more than 2000 calories per day. I'm guessing you still are not seeing the logical fallacy in your argument but at least I made a good faith effort to point it out.

No. In the analogy you give one must change the behavior for always. With adequate virus response, it's temp. Also, there is no fallacy in my argument. I'm saying if we don't change behavior, it will be much like your analogy, though a bad analogy, and I don't see enough sign of the behavior changing enough to prevent the numbers from getting significantly worse. All that I'm saying is factual that you can't refute. You can try, though.

No. In the analogy you give one must change the behavior for always. With adequate virus response, it's temp. Also, there is no fallacy in my argument. I'm saying if we don't change behavior, it will be much like your analogy, though a bad analogy, and I don't see enough sign of the behavior changing enough to prevent the numbers from getting significantly worse. All that I'm saying is factual that you can't refute. You can try, though.
I see what your saying and before I start us down this rabbit hole, let me start by saying that I do not have any problem with anyone voluntarily following your advice. The problem is when people insist that other people modify the behavior of others.
You claim its temporary but you dont actually know that it is. This virus may be with us for another 100 years or longer. The science is rather limited despite the claims to the contrary.
The advice being given from the medical community is the same generic advice they give about all germs.
If your sick, stay home. If you dont want to get sick practice good hygene and avoid contact with others. Thats the same advice they give every flue season.
My problem is when these guidelines become law and the laws are hypersensitive versions of that advice. Demanding everyone wear masks and everyone practice social distancing, etc.... is msandating healthy people who are not spreading the virus to live under restrictions as if they were infected. Thats a problem for me.

I see what your saying and before I start us down this rabbit hole, let me start by saying that I do not have any problem with anyone voluntarily following your advice. The problem is when people insist that other people modify the behavior of others.
You claim its temporary but you dont actually know that it is. This virus may be with us for another 100 years or longer. The science is rather limited despite the claims to the contrary.
The advice being given from the medical community is the same generic advice they give about all germs.
If your sick, stay home. If you dont want to get sick practice good hygene and avoid contact with others. Thats the same advice they give every flue season.
My problem is when these guidelines become law and the laws are hypersensitive versions of that advice. Demanding everyone wear masks and everyone practice social distancing, etc.... is msandating healthy people who are not spreading the virus to live under restrictions as if they were infected. Thats a problem for me.

I would have a problem mandating/enforcing everyone wear mask regularly in most any situation but for hospital, etc., post-pandemic, with the authority reasoning due to fear of future outbreaks. But, that's no going to happen because the public will in no way accept that. Rarely is any virus completely eliminated from the face of the earth. So, this virus will most likely be with us for more than another 100 yrs. We still have H1N1. We have, I think, 4 flus rolled into one vaccine as we add new flu for our 2-yr inoculation as they come along. Healthy asymptomatic people can contaminate others, so they should wear mask, too. Being "healthy" is a poor excuse to not wear a mask and practice social distancing. They don't know if they are COVID healthy.

I got my flu shot a week ago. Few realize that it takes roughly a month for the vaccine antigen to build up the necessary level of immunity.

Back
Top Bottom