• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US double standards

M

Millie9

I can’t help getting amazed at the American inconsistency and I’d even say at their double standards towards everyone! Take the recent much publicized case about a resentence of Lynne Stewart the attorney who defended Egyptian Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman convicted of plotting terrorist attacks in US cities and of preparing the assassination of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak (Courthouse News Service).
Well yes she is guilty and she must serve her term in prison. No one doubts it. But in that case all those who cooperated with Osama Bin Laden before the 9/11 attacks must also get behind the bars! While they are very senior and high ranking officials and secret servicemen. It’s even common knowledge that former US President George W. Bush was engaged in oil business with Bin Laden!!
However not a single criminal case was started against them.
So here it is the notorious American democracy and equality in which those in power and with money don’t care a damn about ordinary people. I just despise it!

Sheik Rahman was in prison for terrorism charges, and under "special administrative measures" to prevent him from communicating with the Islamic Group. But Stewart, knowing of the restrictions, worked with her co-defendants to circumvent those restrictions, the U.S. Attorney's Office said in a statement.

Stewart, 70, was convicted in February, with two co-defendants, of providing material support to a conspiracy to kill and kidnap people in a foreign country, conspiracy to defraud the United States, and making false statements.

U.S. District Judge John Koeltl sentenced Stewart to 28 months in prison after the 9-month jury trial. The 2nd Circuit affirmed all three convictions in November 2009, but remanded for resentencing. [New sentence 10 years.]

I don't understand your post at all. Why correlate this to anything other than what it is?

How is this a double standard? If we believe in a jury trial for any defendant, why not afford it to anyone, even someone we may not like.

I can’t help getting amazed at the American inconsistency and I’d even say at their double standards towards everyone! Take the recent much publicized case about a resentence of Lynne Stewart the attorney who defended Egyptian Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman convicted of plotting terrorist attacks in US cities and of preparing the assassination of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak (Courthouse News Service).
Well yes she is guilty and she must serve her term in prison. No one doubts it. But in that case all those who cooperated with Osama Bin Laden before the 9/11 attacks must also get behind the bars! While they are very senior and high ranking officials and secret servicemen. It’s even common knowledge that former US President George W. Bush was engaged in oil business with Bin Laden!!
However not a single criminal case was started against them.
So here it is the notorious American democracy and equality in which those in power and with money don’t care a damn about ordinary people. I just despise it!

The Bush's engaged in a legal business with the Bin Laden FAMILY, not Osama Bin Laden himself, and you are suggesting that Bush should be charged with Terrorism?

You are making no sense here and comparing very different things... and in the end you despise the US system? Very interesting...

Back
Top Bottom