• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US denies entry to German writer and NSA critic Trojanow

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
US denies entry to German writer and NSA critic Trojanow | News | DW.DE | 01.10.2013

Questions have arisen after the German author Ilija Trojanow was denied entry to the United States, apparently without reason. A colleague of the writer claims his call for clarity about US spying activity is the answer.
The 48-year-old Trojanow had been invited to a German language convention in the US city of Denver. However, he was left stranded at Salvador da Bahia airport, in Brazil.
A spokeswoman for Trojanow's publisher said he was on the on way back to Germany on Tuesday, the news agency DPA reported.
Zeh and Trojanow co-authored a 2009 book in German: "Attack on Freedom: Security Paranoia, the Surveillance State and the Dismantling of Civil Rights."

OFFTOPIC NOTE: I don't know if dw.de should be in the non-mainstream media section or the mainstream media section. It isn't listed in any of the examples over at the forum rules, so I hope it's ok if it's posted here. Anyway, back to business.

Wow. Really? What happened to Free Speech? I mean I know the guy isn't a US national but it's not like he's advocating for hate speech. He is just saying that the fact that the USA did all that NSA business is rather bad... something MOST people agree because MOST people are sane.
Personally, I don't think the US govt should be putting their fingers in their ears and going: NANANANANANA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU! when it's about civic liberties. Republicans should be particularly furious about this if they are the civil rights and liberties advocates they like to say they are. And if dems are the ones who also advocate fairness and all that, they should be up in arms about it too... but noooo...

he isn't even critical of the whole US administration, just the NSA program and the whole surveillance state issue. Something, i repeat, most sane people in the world agree with that it's a BAD idea for the preservation of freedom and liberty.

This is the first I've heard of it and I"m sure thats true for a lot of people. So why on earth would you expect anyone to be "up in arms" over something they haven't even heard about and that you probably just found out yourself? So just how furious are you? Enough to "take up arms" yourself? Nevermind everyone else, what exactly are YOU going to do about it?

US denies entry to German writer and NSA critic Trojanow | News | DW.DE | 01.10.2013

OFFTOPIC NOTE: I don't know if dw.de should be in the non-mainstream media section or the mainstream media section. It isn't listed in any of the examples over at the forum rules, so I hope it's ok if it's posted here. Anyway, back to business.

Deutsch Welle is a well renowned main stream news organisation. Basically like PBS as I understand it.

Wow. Really? What happened to Free Speech? I mean I know the guy isn't a US national but it's not like he's advocating for hate speech. He is just saying that the fact that the USA did all that NSA business is rather bad... something MOST people agree because MOST people are sane.
Personally, I don't think the US govt should be putting their fingers in their ears and going: NANANANANANA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU! when it's about civic liberties. Republicans should be particularly furious about this if they are the civil rights and liberties advocates they like to say they are. And if dems are the ones who also advocate fairness and all that, they should be up in arms about it too... but noooo...

he isn't even critical of the whole US administration, just the NSA program and the whole surveillance state issue. Something, i repeat, most sane people in the world agree with that it's a BAD idea for the preservation of freedom and liberty.

Not the first time it has happened. Started after 9/11 and the Patriot act.

He has the word "Trojan" in his name and you want to let him in!?

He has the word "Trojan" in his name and you want to let him in!?

Oh yes, I'm sure that the moment he enters the USA, his stomach will open and a thousand NSA critics will jump out of him, causing an invasion of NSA critics in the USA that will actually go out and protest against the govt espionage. After all, it's not like there are massive popular movements from the population that demand the end of the espionage on the american people...

Oh yes, I'm sure that the moment he enters the USA, his stomach will open and a thousand NSA critics will jump out of him, causing an invasion of NSA critics in the USA that will actually go out and protest against the govt espionage. After all, it's not like there are massive popular movements from the population that demand the end of the espionage on the american people...

That's not how it went last time...

Back
Top Bottom