• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US courts strike down “Voter ID” laws in four states

You haven't been to a bank in a while, have you? They're already doing all that. They want you to bank online.

Maybe you just go to a crappy bank because mine has been adding branches

There is no significant pattern of fraud in US elections. voting ID laws only target one type of fraud, which is people claiming to be someone else while physically at the polls. this is the rarest type. it's easy to enforce this, when my father used to go down to the polling station (before WA went to all postal voting) they never asked for ID, he told them who he was and they found his name on a precinct list of registered voters and crossed it off with a marker, no one else claiming to be my father could vote under his name after that time. I watched this happen because he would drag us kids with him to the polling place.

Yeah, same here. However, what you're leaving out is that the poll workers were neighborhood folks. They knew most of the people coming in to vote - including your father. And just how do we know "there is no significant pattern" when we don't positively identify the person voting?

the postal voting is great too, I get my ballot in the mail, I get it two weeks before the election, I fill it out at the post office, stamp it, and send it back in the outgoing mail. you have to register using an ID card number or social security number or an affidavit. the county auditors regularlily (every month) get the lists of deaths in Washington state from county coroners and Dept of Health and remove deceased persons from voting rolls.

Wasn't too long ago that Washington state had elections in question because of a high dead voter turnout.

There is no valid reason why an ID shouldn't be required to vote. You need it for nearly everything else. Every voter should have their identification verified to protect the integrity of an election. You shouldn't be able to walk up, make a self claim, and attempt to forge a signature that won't be checked and then cast a ballot.

I think it is foolish to demand to show an ID if you live in a country where having one is not mandatory. Here in the Netherlands having an ID is mandatory, if you don't have one and are asked to show it, you can get fined and you will be hauled off to jail until your identity has been established.

Sadly in some states people are using the ID laws as a means to win elections by suppressing the vote, and that is wrong, every wrong and should not be allowed.

And the state who has gone voter suppression supreme even wants to have their case heard in front of the supreme court because a lower court struck down the North Carolina law. In it's opinion the court wrote that the State had enacted law that targeted minorities and poor people with "surgical precision", they even asked for the statistics as to how people voted and used that data to disenfranchise as many minority voters as humanly possible.

I hope the supreme court refuses to hear the case or tells the Governor of North Carolina that their law is unacceptable and that he can stick it where the sun don't shine (and no, I do not mean an orifice on the man's body but a deep dark archive where it will never see the light of day again).

There is no valid reason why an ID shouldn't be required to vote. You need it for nearly everything else. Every voter should have their identification verified to protect the integrity of an election. You shouldn't be able to walk up, make a self claim, and attempt to forge a signature that won't be checked and then cast a ballot.

the 'valid reason' is that in order to win, the democratic party has relied on stuffed ballot boxes since the boss tweed days. but, it's racist to suggest that 125% of the population of Philadelphia voted in 2012, so i'll move on.

Basically, everyone makes the same flawed assumption here, that ID will help Republicans (and let's face it, that's why the Democrats are against and Repubs for it).

Here's what'll happen. Eventually, ID will be required nationwide (but probably not enforced if you're white). Democrats will organize a drive to get ID for their voters, and elections will go back to the same as they are now. And we'll be on to the next fake issue.

The new law restricted early voting,...ended same-day registration and preregistration for minors, and ended out-of-district provisional voting.

I purposefully took out the voter ID bit since my question does not address it. What about these things are racist? If they are not, why even mention them?

Back
Top Bottom