• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US commander admits Biden's deterrence strategy failed in Ukraine

Oh wow, you noticed that I and others regular refer to your Trumpist bumper sticker crap as "canned bullshit", and you've totally *gotten* me by saying my words back to me. Brilliant, USN. Just brilliant.

Next you could try "I know you are but what am I?" It'll impress your Trumpist buddies and get you the chicks.

______
Pro-tip: no amount of troll posts will obscure the idiotic fail that is this thread and your knee-jerk defense of it.

Hundreds of posts of me calling Trump a asshole........and you still have to resort to that line?

Troll posts? Your 24/7 carpet bombing of certain voters are not posting for effect?

You make a living on here doing exactly that and you know it.:ROFLMAO:

Mi

Biden's stupid decision was thinking threats of sanctions and diplomacy would stop Putin. Now he stupidly decides to deny those tactics were meant to dissuade which is saying he did nothing to dissuade. How stupid is that?

So again I ask.....

Does that mean we can assume you would have been in favor of a shooting war with Russia and the potential and probable use of nuclear armament?

Biden has been attempting to turn abject failure into some kind of political victory but the truth has a way of coming out and in this cesspool administration the shit is rising to the surface.

"You as a combatant commander felt that you were part of an inter-agency effort intended to deter Vladimir Putin from invading Ukraine?"

That's correct," Wolters responded. "Deter and dissuade."

"Would it be fair to say that deterrence failed in Ukraine?" Gallagher pressed.

"I can't argue with your conclusion," Wolters finished.

What the **** else was he supposed to say?

Russia is quite literally bombing the capital of Ukraine right now, it's blindly obvious that the deterrence strategy failed to stop them from invading.
It might have slowed them down a bit though, not sure we'll ever know one way or the other on that.

And it certainly didn't hurt to try.

Biden has been attempting to turn abject failure into some kind of political victory but the truth has a way of coming out and in this cesspool administration the shit is rising to the surface.

"You as a combatant commander felt that you were part of an inter-agency effort intended to deter Vladimir Putin from invading Ukraine?"

you are addicted to FoxNews.

Biden saying weeks before the invasion that Putin was going to invade is an obvious acknowledgement that deterence has failed. However, I don't see how this is Biden's failure, and this general doesn't blame Biden. Putin was obviously determined to invade.

I'm trying to figure out why the dumb question was asked. Putin invaded. We know this. Any attempt at deterrence obviously failed. It's just the obvious served up as red meat.
Yes that is all FOX does. They are the replacement for RT in our nation. RT here was redundant.

Biden's stupid decision was thinking threats of sanctions and diplomacy would stop Putin. Now he stupidly decides to deny those tactics were meant to dissuade which is saying he did nothing to dissuade. How stupid is that?

The other options:

- Politely asking them not to invade Ukraine and telling them that it would be naughty. (You people would've loved the threads you could create about that, since you'd finally not be lying your asses off if you called it stupid).

- State - and mean, because a called bluff would **** everything - that we will declare war upon Russia if it invades Ukraine. We could at least base that on the ....what was it....Budapest accord? Budapest memorandum? Either way, we did kinda promise to back Ukraine if it gave up its nukes.

The first option really would be stupid, and atrociously so. The second? We'd be betting the lives of every human on Earth that we could keep a hot war with Russia entirely conventional. Seeing as they couldn't stomp Ukraine like they intended, that looks like a rather poor bet. There's no way in hell they could handle our military absent use of nukes, tactical or otherwise.

How about you forget the hyperpartisan idiocy, and forget the idea that only morality is in play.

Our strategic goals in Ukraine are causing enough pain to Russia that it won't try it again with, say, Moldova, and ending the war but not necessarily with full Russian retreat. That's Ukraine's goal. Ours is to stop the war and if that means Ukraine has to give up some land, that aligns with our interests.

Crushing sanctions with Europe/NATO cooperation continues to look like the best possible strategy. You just don't know what our geopolitical interests are or why they're our geopolitical interests in the first place. You don't understand the cold hard realities of....well.. reality.

Which is kinda funny seeing as you were all for any reckless idiocy in the name of "America First."

I appreciate that you kept your opening bull shit claim short. 👍

I blame Trump and his handlers for the invasion. Putin's balls grew to enormous size under Trump and he felt like he could never lose. Vindman should know, he saw it first hand.

Alexander Vindman says Trump, Mike Pompeo, and Fox News helped bring about Putin's invasion of Ukraine​

Former Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, who rose to prominence as a witness in Donald Trump's first impeachment trial, said the the Republican Party has "blood on its hands" for emboldening Russia to invade Ukraine.
Vindman, who is Ukrainian-American, made the comments in an interview with Salon that was published on Monday.
He said that Trump's refusal to criticize Russian President Vladimir Putin was one of the factors that led Putin to act. He also blamed Trump for weakening the US internally with his divisive politics.
He singled out Trump, former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and Fox News host Tucker Carlson for criticism, highlighting their praise for Putin even as it became clear that he would invade.
"The Tucker Carlsons, the Donald Trumps, the Mike Pompeos, they and other Republicans are going to have to own this issue because they are the reason that Russia launched this operation," said Vindman.
Vindman, who served as the top Europe expert on the National Security Council, said that the domestic divisions exposed by the Jan 6 riot had likely been a factor in Putin deciding to act now.

"Putin, like Trump, smells vulnerability and exploits it. Vladimir Putin perceived that the United States was distracted and vulnerable. He's been testing our resolve. He's been getting positive signals in that regard," he said.

https://www.businessinsider.com/vindman-trump-fox-partly-to-blame-for-putin-ukraine-invasion-2022-3

Biden told Putin at the outset go ahead and invade Ukraine but just not too much. A second Russian genocide of Ukraine quickly ensued. If Putin is a war criminal why isn't Biden?
Stupid lie.

No matter how motivated Trumpsters are to blame Biden for Putin’s actions, they can’t come up with any truthful evidence. Only weak ass lies.

I'm trying to figure out why the dumb question was asked. Putin invaded. We know this. Any attempt at deterrence obviously failed. It's just the obvious served up as red meat.

Simple: to provide a basis for Fox articles/broadcasts that attack Biden.

A Republican asked the question. That Republican is perfectly well aware of Fox's mission. Dutifully, Fox went with "admit" to imply some kind of prior dishonesty, and "failure" because the target was a D.

It's all the dumbest theater possible. It's all about what someone says and how it sounds. Truth is irrelevant and falsity a plus, since falsity allows them to bring much more ridiculous charges than they would otherwise be limited to. The more ridiculous, the more likely to annoy a liberal. Meanwhile, Trumpists don't give a shit about truth, so it's not like it's ever going to hurt Fox.

What a load of horse manure.

Biden has backed Ukraine, sanctioned the crap out of Russia and the oligarchs, and has helped fund and arm Ukraine like never before.
And Ukraine, our ally in this, is doing much better than anticipated...the Russians (our adversaries for those Republican out there who forgot), are taking huge loses and performing terribly.

All of this on the backdrop of Trump having agreed with Russia over U.S. intelligence.
Trump one again complimenting Putin calling him a genius, and his plan savvy.
Trump having been impeached for extorting Ukraine, withholding aid while trying to get them to give him (manufactured) dirt on Hunter Biden.

Trump HATES that Ukraine is doing well...he backed Putin after all.
So then his faithful no doubt have to come out and like good little cultist-sheep, try to do damage control...try desperately, like in your post, to make everything somehow Biden's fault if its bad....

And like clockwork here comes your thread trying to do just that. Pathetic.

Stupid lie.

No matter how motivated Trumpsters are to blame Biden for Putin’s actions, they can’t come up with any truthful evidence. Only weak ass lies.

Here's Biden telling Putin a limited incursion into Ukraine would be permissible.

Biden told Putin at the outset go ahead and invade Ukraine but just not too much. A second Russian genocide of Ukraine quickly ensued. If Putin is a war criminal why isn't Biden?

He told the truth. If Russia took 20 square miles and stopped, we wouldn't do much about it because that's how geopolitics and national interest work.

I'm sure you could vicariously bask in the idea of strength had Biden said we would invade Russia if it so much as shoved one soldier over Ukraine's border. But that would be the real idiocy. Putin would laugh, knowing the Cold War calculation perfectly well, and do it anyway. There's no geopolitical reason for us to do that, so it wouldn't be believable.

Biden could not have "stopped" Putin because Putin is engaged in a war of conquest. He wants Ukraine and thought he could have it...in fact, have it easily. Biden had no tools with which to stop Putin from attempting this madness. The only things that would have prevented Putin's invasion was:
- a clear understanding of the actual capabilities of his own military assets
- a clear understanding of Ukrainian fighting spirit and desire to resist him
A manifold increase in anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons in Ukraine's hands Might have helped. If not, it would have at least given Ukraine a leg up on stopping the Russians before they acquired positions from which to shell Ukraine cities. Biden has done many of the right things, but he usually does them weeks after he should have. You can't win a war that way.

He told the truth. If Russia took 20 square miles and stopped, we wouldn't do much about it because that's how geopolitics and national interest work.

I'm sure you could vicariously bask in the idea of strength had Biden said we would invade Russia if it so much as shoved one soldier over Ukraine's border. But that would be the real idiocy. Putin would laugh, knowing the Cold War calculation perfectly well, and do it anyway. There's no geopolitical reason for us to do that, so it wouldn't be believable.

You're trying to reason with idiots.

A manifold increase in anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons in Ukraine's hands Might have helped. If not, it would have at least given Ukraine a leg up on stopping the Russians before they acquired positions from which to shell Ukraine cities. Biden has done many of the right things, but he usually does them weeks after he should have. You can't win a war that way.

Lol. Putin was just looking for an excuse to avoid invading. Biden practically forced him to do it.

Arming Ukraine to the teeth with stingers and Javelin missiles along with saying we had Ukraine's back before and during diplomatic efforts would have been negotiating from a position of strength instead of weakness. "Pausing" weapons to Ukraine along with his minor incursion remark gave Putin incentive to invade.
Would not have stopped Putin given that in his own mind this would be a walkover, compounded by how much Putin wanted and still wants Ukraine.

You are simply blowing smoke;
- did Putin attack....YUP
- Is it Biden's fault....NOPE

Lets not forget that lying murdering butcher Putin lied continually all the way up to his attack, claiming that he would not attack.

Last edited:
Everyone knew the sanctions were a joke. They didn't even work on Cuba. Clearly our media needs to get behind Biden. Hunter can wait until after this is over. He has been a loser his entire life. Nothing new here. We can deal with him after the Ukraine situation.

Biden is out matched as it is dealing with Putin. We don't need to distract him now. It can get much worse if Harris ends up in charge. We (our media and people) need to back our president when dealing with Putin. We can can hopefully elect a better leader at the next election. Putin needs to hear from our media that the people are behind our leader. It is our best option at this point.

Biden told Putin at the outset go ahead and invade Ukraine but just not too much.
First, you lied with this ^^.

Now, you again lie.
Here's Biden telling Putin a limited incursion into Ukraine would be permissible.
Why?

This is what Biden actually said;
“And so, I think what you’re going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades. And it depends on what it does. It’s one thing if it’s a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do, et cetera.”

No invitation or encouragement.

A manifold increase in anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons in Ukraine's hands Might have helped.

Would've been cited as the provocation that caused the entire conflict. Contrast with the Biden's actual painstaking efforts to dismantle every possible pretext for war in advance, leading to incredibly fast international consensus around a robust economic response when Putin went in anyway.

In your scenario, we wouldn't have the counterfactual (i.e., our reality) to know that Vlad's either nutty or dumb and was going in no matter what we did. As opposed to taking back leadership of the free world and uniting the liberal democracies as we have, we might be in a very different place now.

First, you lied with this ^^.

Now, you again lie.

Why?

This is what Biden actually said;
“And so, I think what you’re going to see is that Russia will be held accountable if it invades. And it depends on what it does. It’s one thing if it’s a minor incursion and then we end up having a fight about what to do and not do, et cetera.”

No invitation or encouragement.

Everyone knew the sanctions were a joke. They didn't even work on Cuba. Clearly our media needs to get behind Biden. Hunter can wait until after this is over. He has been a loser his entire life. Nothing new here. We can deal with him after the Ukraine situation.

Biden is out matched as it is dealing with Putin. We don't need to distract him now. It can get much worse if Harris ends up in charge. We (our media and people) need to back our president when dealing with Putin. We can can hopefully elect a better leader at the next election. Putin needs to hear from our media that the people are behind our leader. It is our best option at this point.
Perhaps you missed it. Biden never claimed that sanctions were a deterrent to Putin. In fact he has said just the opposite. As such your post really has no basis as a discussion topic and the whole damned thread is BULLSHIT for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom