• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

molten_dragon

Anti-Hypocrite
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
BBC News - US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

I'm curious what people think about this case. I feel like chimps, as well as the other great apes, and a few other species of animal inhabit a weird in-between status. They aren't human, but they're clearly more intelligent and self-aware than the vast majority of other animal species.

It's a matter of definitions, isn't it?

Human rights. Are chimpanzees and other great apes humans? That'd be no.

If you want to bestow on them rights, which is fine, but then those rights would be chimpanzees and great apes rights, and wouldn't necessarily be exactly the same as Human rights, as there is a difference between chimpanzees and great apes and humans.

I can't see how a chimp could have "rights". How would that even work? I do think there should be very strict animal welfare laws in place protecting primates. A chimp should certainly have more protections than a pet tarantula.

If we won't even extend human rights to unborn humans than why should animals have any?

He's not human... Seems pretty cut and dry

If we won't even extend human rights to unborn humans than why should animals have any?

I can certainly see the argument. Many species, especially among primates, are sentient beings with minds capable of thought and emotions. A zygote is not.

From the article:

Needless to say, unlike human beings, chimpanzees cannot bear any legal duties, submit to societal responsibilities or be held legally accountable for their actions.'

By that logic, you could make the argument that a chimp is more capable of those things than a fetus is.

It's a matter of definitions, isn't it?

Human rights. Are chimpanzees and other great apes humans? That'd be no.

If you want to bestow on them rights, which is fine, but then those rights would be chimpanzees and great apes rights, and wouldn't necessarily be exactly the same as Human rights, as there is a difference between chimpanzees and great apes and humans.
Does that mean my new pup can vote just three years from now?

I'm all for animal rights, but trying to extend human rights to an animal seems weird. The court made the right decision on this one. Human rights entails the ability to verbalize them and defend them if need be. In my opinion, it also entails having inherited certain human qualities. That said, a cluster of cells is no more a human than a blood drop from a papercut.

BBC News - US chimpanzee Tommy 'has no human rights' - court

I'm curious what people think about this case. I feel like chimps, as well as the other great apes, and a few other species of animal inhabit a weird in-between status. They aren't human, but they're clearly more intelligent and self-aware than the vast majority of other animal species.

Its a shame scumbag lawyers can't be punished for bringing fraudulent lawsuits like this court.There are actual cases judges have to deal with,not some **** for brains ride on the back of the short bus peta-tard lawsuit. I hope those peta-tards who filed that lawsuit have to pay for the legal fees of the person they sued as well as court costs.

This case raises the question of what it is that imbues humans with rights

Just today, a right winger explained that our natural rights (which I don't believe in BTW) are a result of our ability to think, hope, aspire, etc. If an animal is capable of those same things, then wouldn't it too have natural rights?

I'm all for animal rights, but trying to extend human rights to an animal seems weird. The court made the right decision on this one. Human rights entails the ability to verbalize them and defend them if need be. In my opinion, it also entails having inherited certain human qualities. That said, a cluster of cells is no more a human than a blood drop from a papercut.
A chimp wouldn't even understand the concept of rights

Does that mean my new pup can vote just three years from now?
As long as acorn registers him for the Democratic Party
:lol:

This case raises the question of what it is that imbues humans with rights

Just today, a right winger explained that our natural rights (which I don't believe in BTW) are a result of our ability to think, hope, aspire, etc. If an animal is capable of those same things, then wouldn't it too have natural rights?

This is a good example of why our rights are what we say they are, not from some higher place or inherent. They are those things we, as a whole, are willing to fight for or to defend.

Me too. I'm one of the biggest animal rights people probably on this board, but I can't even see this one as being wrong. Chimps simply can't be given human rights. Chimps has no power of reasoning and limited to the smallest degree capability to articulate thoughts.

A chimp wouldn't even understand the concept of rights

Perhaps the lawyer watched cartoons too much as a kid and never let go... you know, Steve with his monkey translator seemed pretty intelligent to say 7 year olds. Are we sure this lawyer isn't a 7 year old?

I agree these lawyers who brought this lawsuit should be run out of the bar and fined for such nonsense.

Tommy doesn't know what day it is.
He doesn't know who Jesus is or what praying is.

How can he be saved?
From the eternal grave?

I can't see how a chimp could have "rights". How would that even work? I do think there should be very strict animal welfare laws in place protecting primates. A chimp should certainly have more protections than a pet tarantula.

If a serverwely mentally handicapped person can have rights then so can chimps.

No they cannot. While chimps have 99% of the same chromosomal structure as humans, it's the 1% difference that IS the difference. A severely handicapped person is still a human... a perfectly normal chimp is still a chimp.

Is it because this chimp wears cute clothes and is humanized..

You obviously don't know a lot about chimps..they have 4 times the strength of the average human male..they can rip your arm off and beat you to death with the sticky ends..

In the wild..chimps go hunting in groups..often targetting other simian species..they are very organised..and when they catch their meal it is ripped apart live by the group..

They are wild animals, and should be treated with respect for their advanced IQ...

But human rights?...Really??

Chimps kill each other. When are we going to set up chimpanzee prisons to incarcerate the perpetrators of chimpanzee murders in defense of their rights?

Me too. I'm one of the biggest animal rights people probably on this board, but I can't even see this one as being wrong. Chimps simply can't be given human rights. Chimps has no power of reasoning and limited to the smallest degree capability to articulate thoughts.

We've been agreeing and too cordial lately. Let's find something to sensessly argue about for a few hours. It'll make me feel better about agreeing with so many Libertarians lately.

We've been agreeing and too cordial lately. Let's find something to sensessly argue about for a few hours. It'll make me feel better about agreeing with so many Libertarians lately.

I just argued with you in the Garner thread. About your misinterpretations about my opinion on what happened.

Back
Top Bottom