• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US carries out air strikes in Syria targeting Iranian backed militia structures

?? No. Assumes fact not in evidence. Conservatives are no less in support of US militarism.
Quite the contrary, the military itself is weighted toward conservatism.
It may be as simple as the fact that none of them, libs or cons, have a clue how to bow out of the ever ongoing conflicts we think we must involve ourselves in.

I just want to be in the war room ONE TIME so I'll have all the info.

Have any of the supposedly progressive "Democrats" strongly voiced their dissent of this escalation?
Too soon to tell. In fact, we don't even know if it can be characterized as an escalation yet. It may be nothing more than a response to an Iranian escalation.

The article indicates it may be entirely prophylactic.

Someone lied and people died. Calling Cindy Sheehan and the ladies in black.
Seriously, why now? What is the point they are trying to make?

I think the Iranians were happy that Trump was gone, and Biden was going to be this softy they could just steamroll over. Maybe this was a message that they may have been mistaken in this impression.

Seriously, why now? What is the point they are trying to make
And that's why I posted that I would love to be in the war room just one time and get all the information about why certain moves are made.

As it is I'm almost 60 years old and I've never been given all the information up front when something like this happens. I always have to wait decades to find out.

And that's why I posted that I would love to be in the war room just one time and get all the information about why certain moves are made.

As it is I'm almost 60 years old and I've never been given all the information up front when something like this happens. I always have to wait decades to find out.
As it is often the case, we are masters of things we know little about. :)

As it is often the case, we are masters of things we know little about. :)
I just want to be included in that room one time.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to have to make the call. I just wanna be in there and see what roller coaster your brain takes as information is presented.

So now the US is directly warring in addition to indirectly warring. And since it's a "Democratic" administration, "liberals" are okay with it.

What do you mean by indirectly warring?

President Biden did not declare war. He did not send Army reserves to Syria. He did not tell Syria, "If you don't do this I will send our troops." Exactly what did Biden do to make anyone think the United States is going to war in Syria?

I just want to be included in that room one time.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to have to make the call. I just wanna be in there and see what roller coaster your brain takes as information is presented.
I'll be right next to you, quiet as a church mouse.

Too soon to tell. In fact, we don't even know if it can be characterized as an escalation yet. It may be nothing more than a response to an Iranian escalation.

The article indicates it may be entirely prophylactic.
Going to direct warring is an escalation.

I imagine the so-called progressive "Democrats" aren't going to say or do shit about this.

What do you mean by indirectly warring?
The US government has been supporting the warring against Syria.

Oops, wrong warring. I was thinking of Yemen.

President Biden did not declare war. He did not send Army reserves to Syria. He did not tell Syria, "If you don't do this I will send our troops." Exactly what did Biden do to make anyone think the United States is going to war in Syria?
Declare war? How quaint.

Warring means acts of war. Air strikes are acts of war.

Last edited:
That's not our ****ing job. Nation-states need to be in equilibrium with one another, we can't be the global policeman trying to clean up everyone else's mistakes. We should work with NATO and MNNA to stabilize the situation, not unilaterally act as global judge, jury and executioner. That's why this situation is happening in the first place, we acted like it was our JOB to overthrow Saddam Hussein, and our destablization of Iraq has led to spillover effects in Syria, Lebanon and other neighboring countries.
May want to dig a little deeper...
1614309514701.png

I used to play pick up at a health club with this guy who was about 5'10", kind of pudgy and not very fast. But he was quick and he could shoot lights out.

People would get really aggressive with him and ever so often he would do a head fake and as they were coming down he would take the top of his head and go through their chin. Blood would fly.

And over all that time I knew him, ever so slowly, people stopped being aggressive with him.

For whatever reason, when I read the link in the OP, he's the first person I thought of.

Going to direct warring is an escalation.
No. You're wrong. Responding to elevated aggression isn't necessarily escalation. Time will tell.
In April of 2017, Trump sent 59 cruise missiles into Syria's Shayrat Airbase. Nothing escalated from that event.

I imagine the so-called progressive "Democrats" aren't going to say or do shit about this.
I can't account for what you imagine. Knock yourself out.

I used to play pick up at a health club with this guy who was about 5'10", kind of pudgy and not very fast. But he was quick and he could shoot lights out.

People would get really aggressive with him and ever so often he would do a head fake and as they were coming down he would take the top of his head and go through their chin. Blood would fly.

And over all that time I knew him, ever so slowly, people stopped being aggressive with him.

For whatever reason, when I read the link in the OP, he's the first person I thought of.
Do I get this right, folks did and that was ok?

No. You're wrong. Responding to elevated aggression isn't necessarily escalation. Time will tell.
In April of 2017, Trump sent 59 cruise missiles into Syria's Shayrat Airbase. Nothing escalated from that event.
I was thinking of Yemen.

Do you approve of the 20-year war on terror?

Do I get this right, folks did and that was ok?
Oh, no. There was always a fight (unless the other guy was on a stretcher). But he had learned how to keep people off him.

I was thinking of Yemen.

Do you approve of the 20-year war on terror?
Absolutely not. There's no such thing as a "war on terror". It's the biggest oxymoron of the 21st century.

Regarding Iraq, I believe Bush the Lesser should have strictly adhered to the Powell Doctrine - which was specifically designed to keep us out of another Vietnam. Instead we wound up with the totally incompetent Paul Bremer, who feebly engaged in occupation and "nation building".

Regarding Afghanistan, again, we should have never engaged in "nation building", but instead, the moment we got bin Laden - the pretext for entering that conflict in the first place - we should have pulled out. That was almost a decade ago.

When you have no business being somewhere to begin with, it's futile making an argument for staying there.

Last edited:
The US government has been supporting the warring against Syria.

Oops, wrong warring. I was thinking of Yemen.

Which Biden has decided the US will no longer be supporting.

Declare war? How quaint.

Warring means acts of war. Air strikes are acts of war.
Act of war against whom? Militias aren't states.

Back
Top Bottom