• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US budget shutdown: I won't compromise on wall, says Trump

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From the BBC

President Donald Trump has refused to compromise on his demand for a wall to be built on the Mexican border, the cause of a partial government shutdown.

He said he did not think he would have to reduce the $5.6bn (£4.4bn) in funds he was demanding and repeated a threat to declare a national emergency.

His new chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said earlier he expected the shutdown to "drag on a lot longer".

Democrats refuse to back the funding, calling the wall "immoral".

COMMENT:-

In light of "White House signals some compromise in ending U.S. government shutdown" and the indication that Mr. Trump might be willing to consider alternate materials for "The Wall" (the idea of "The Picket Fence" is no longer a part of the officially approved potential realities), I think that Mr. Trump should take a look HERE for alternative building materials. That stuff is 100% environmentally friendly and the US has a 100% domestic supply of it that would be more than sufficient to construct the whole of "The Wall".

From the BBC

President Donald Trump has refused to compromise on his demand for a wall to be built on the Mexican border, the cause of a partial government shutdown.

He said he did not think he would have to reduce the $5.6bn (£4.4bn) in funds he was demanding and repeated a threat to declare a national emergency.

His new chief of staff Mick Mulvaney said earlier he expected the shutdown to "drag on a lot longer".

In light of "White House signals some compromise in ending U.S. government shutdown" and the indication that Mr. Trump might be willing to consider alternate materials for "The Wall" (the idea of "The Picket Fence" is no longer a part of the officially approved potential realities), I think that Mr. Trump should take a look HERE for alternative building materials. That stuff is 100% environmentally friendly and the US has a 100% domestic supply of it that would be more than sufficient to construct the whole of "The Wall".

The WH and Trump are operating on two different planes of existence. Even the VP isn't on board. Trump said yesterday the meeting had no progress. Pence and WH said there was. What I can't tell is if it is deliberate or a **** show?

The WH and Trump are operating on two different planes of existence. Even the VP isn't on board. Trump said yesterday the meeting had no progress. Pence and WH said there was. What I can't tell is if it is deliberate or a **** show?

Unfortunately, Mr. Trump has just imposed a 25% tariff on any of that building material that comes from Canada. He met with Congressional leaders today to discuss his plan for a Great Big Beautiful Wall to keep hordes of Canadian Arctic Fronts from entering the United States of America.

It's the latter. Trump is to impulsive to think before he communicates publicly, so he says things that catches his own administration off guard and then there's the quick "clarification" of his comments; it's poor management. He should be meeting with his team regularly so they're discussing current issues and how to respond to them so no one has to scramble to make separate comments.

From the BBC

Trump so reminds me of when my daughter was three years old, and thought throwing temper tantrums was a good way to get what she wanted. What kind of adult would give in to such childish behaviour?

It's the latter. Trump is to impulsive to think before he communicates publicly, so he says things that catches his own administration off guard and then there's the quick "clarification" of his comments; it's poor management. He should be meeting with his team regularly so they're discussing current issues and how to respond to them so no one has to scramble to make separate comments.

That would require effort on Trump's part. He's too lazy to spend even five minutes learning anything about any topic.

So he says whatever he thinks his base wants to hear at that moment, and apparently this is based largely on what he has heard most recently on FOX "News", from such intellectual giants as Hannity, Carlson, and the crew of FOX and Friends.

That would require effort on Trump's part. He's too lazy to spend even five minutes learning anything about any topic.

So he says whatever he thinks his base wants to hear at that moment, and apparently this is based largely on what he has heard most recently on FOX "News", from such intellectual giants as Hannity, Carlson, and the crew of FOX and Friends.

Mr. Trump is going to have to revise his "We're catching 4,000 terrorists a month at the US/Mexican border." position now that even FOX News has told him that it's BS.

Fox host pushes back on Sarah Sanders' suggestion that terrorists are crossing southern border

Given the real data, it's obvious that the problem could be solved MUCH more easily by building walls around all the airports. (Which is just as stupid an idea as building "The Wall" where the terrorists aren't coming in.)

Trump so reminds me of when my daughter was three years old, and thought throwing temper tantrums was a good way to get what she wanted. What kind of adult would give in to such childish behaviour?

Call it what you want, Trump has a 100% chance of winning on this one!

From the BBC

Were the existing threads on the subject not sufficient for you idiotic sarcasm?

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Believing that he has a 100% chance of winning suggests you're unaware of what's at stake for the Democratic position, as well as the narrative having been locked down on this being the Republicans' fault.

Of course it's the Republicans fault. They owned all branches of government prior to last thursday. It's, as Trump himself said, a failure to lead, and the onus lays at the top of the food chain.

The GOP and Trump own this.

Wait another 8 days. When those returns are being filed and no one gets a check, see who everyone is angry at. It won't be a newly minted Democratic house majority. It will be the GOP, who own two branches of gov't.

And if Trump uses the national emergency card, it's Flint Michigan Redux.

From the BBC

“I won't compromise on wall” says Trump, contradicting himself from having previously said "It's going to be made of hardened concrete, and it's going to be made out of rebar, and steel." Then later proposing a fence (yes, fence, not wall) of "steel slats," and later “The Democrats, are saying loud and clear that they do not want to build a Concrete Wall - but we are not building a Concrete Wall, we are building artistically designed steel slats, so that you can easily see through it," while White House legislative affairs director Marc Short had said "in some cases," it would be a kind of fencing. "It is a myriad of different structures,". And finally, in true Trumpian style, a day after his outgoing chief of staff said the idea had been nixed months ago, Trump said “An all concrete Wall was NEVER ABANDONED, as has been reported by the media,”. Yup, more MSM fake news corrected by Trump.

Trump has already at least verbally compromised on the composition of the wall, on having a wall at all (a fence instead) and on Mexico paying for the wall, though Trump says that the taxes which will pay for “the wall” by Americans will in some convoluted way be paid by Mexico. Trump just doesn’t comprehend his own words. Even what few in his vocabulary he has.

One thing for sure. Whatever the “wall” ends up being, since Trump himself suggested it would be a great wall and be named after him, it will be “The Great Wall of Trump”.

I completely agree.

Regardless of what the outcome is, Mr. Trump will declare it a victory for himself and his followers will agree.

Were the existing threads on the subject not sufficient for you idiotic sarcasm?

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

It is very hard, even for hardened and professional sarcasimisteritas like myself, to be truly sarcastic about Mr. Trump simply because the sarcasm has a way of translating into reality.

Besides, think of all of the American jobs that would be created harvesting, processing, transporting, and stacking the positively millions of snow blocks needed to ensure that "The Wall" stays built. Without a doubt everyone would end up regarding "The Wall" as the "Greatest Snow Job Ever" and Mr. Trump would end up being the most revered and respected President in the 20,000 year history of the United States of America (as he is already regarded by over 99% of the highly successful rich stable genius leaders in the United States of America [Sample Size=1 {D.J. Trump}]).

Which says America has a 100% chance of losing considering America has rejected the idea, twice.

From the BBC

The Democrats won't compromise either. It's not a one sided deal.

Which says America has a 100% chance of losing considering America has rejected the idea, twice.

only the truly treasonous are against the wall.

Okay, folks. Here it is from Pres. Trump's lackey, Sen. "Kiss-Ass to Power" Lindsey Graham.

"I do want to open up the government, but the goal is not to open up the government," Sen. Lindsey Graham said Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation" when asked if he would support opening up the government before continuing negotiations.

"The goal is to fix a broken immigration system to bring reality to this table," the South Carolina Republican said. And after speaking to Trump, Graham said, "it was pretty clear to me that we're never going to have a deal unless we get a wall as part of it."

House Democrats led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., have said they will not negotiate on border security funding until the government is reopened.

Graham said those negotiations can't take place until Democrats like Durbin, rather than Pelosi, lead the negotiations.

"We're not going to put any offers on the table as long as people in charge of these negotiations accuse all of us who want a wall of being a racist and see our Border Patrol agents as gassing children," Graham said. "Until you get that crowd put to the sidelines, I don't see anything happening."

Source: USAToday.com

Face the Nation clip: https://www.cbs.com/shows/face-the-...e-the-goal-is-not-to-open-up-the-government-/

So, what we have here are two issues at play:

1. Kick the new Speaker of the House who is a female out of the negotiations. (Sexism)

2. DREAMERS (carrot) for the Wall or government remains closed and federal employees don't get paid. (stick)

Get your :popcorn2: ready...this is gonna be good.

Okay, folks. Here it is from Pres. Trump's lackey, Sen. "Kiss-Ass to Power" Lindsey Graham.

Source: USAToday.com

Face the Nation clip: https://www.cbs.com/shows/face-the-...e-the-goal-is-not-to-open-up-the-government-/

So, what we have here are two issues at play:

1. Kick the new Speaker of the House who is a female out of the negotiations. (Sexism)

2. DREAMERS (carrot) for the Wall or government remains closed and federal employees don't get paid. (stick)

Get your :popcorn2: ready...this is gonna be good.

I read it as GUWWWNAWTAGYSL 2.0

Give Us What We Want Now And We'll Think About Giving You Something Later 2.0

When I refer to Democrats' ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, it's usually in regard to bigger things....like picking the worst candidate.

But there are little contributing things, like choosing to call the wall "immoral". How is it immoral? Apart from an extremely low number of far out people, nobody wants literal "open borders" or anything like that. They just recognize that the wall is a stupid waste of money that won't accomplish anything.

So why not call it a "stupid wall" or a "stupid ****ing wall"? Why do they have to run with "immoral"? They discredit their position with that messaging.

Back
Top Bottom