• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US black school aide fired for rebuking boy's use of n-word

The thread title and the OP are totally distorting what actually transpired here.

The school security guard was terminated for a valid reason.

<SARC>Damn right!! That uppity N****r ought to have known better than not to have used such a horrendous racist term.</SARC>

Should have known better than to do his job or ask to be treated with respect?

He could have done both of those without cussing.

And anyone who gets bent out of shape over not getting respect from a child should probably not be working in a school. And as a security guard of all things...

And anyone who gets bent out of shape over not getting respect from a child should probably not be working in a school. And as a security guard of all things...

Have you ever heard of this thing called context?

If "A" calls "B" a __[insert banned derogatory term here]__, is "A" then "cussing (sic)"?

If "B" tells "A" not to call them a __[insert banned derogatory term here]__, is "B" then "cussing (sic)"?

Absolutely, it was all the fault of the security guard (who was an "uppity __[insert banned derogatory term here]__" in the first place).

Would you agree that "Anyone who gets bent out of shape over not getting respect from a scofflaw probably should not be working as a police officer."?

If this is as is being reported, he definitely should not have been fired. And it does sound like that is the situation.

However, we still do only have the one side of this story. Granted, even that appears to confirm that the story being put out is how it happened.

I am very much against zero tolerance policies. Even our courts usually recognize exceptions to rules, laws. Our kids should not face rules that don't even abide by our own principles and standards that adults live by, that there are exceptions to rules and laws, that reasonable person point of view is very valid when it comes to examining a situation and understanding and being compassionate to the reasons behind why things happened, how and why anyone broke a certain rule.

If this is as is being reported, he definitely should not have been fired. And it does sound like that is the situation.

However, we still do only have the one side of this story. Granted, even that appears to confirm that the story being put out is how it happened.

I am very much against zero tolerance policies. Even our courts usually recognize exceptions to rules, laws. Our kids should not face rules that don't even abide by our own principles and standards that adults live by, that there are exceptions to rules and laws, that reasonable person point of view is very valid when it comes to examining a situation and understanding and being compassionate to the reasons behind why things happened, how and why anyone broke a certain rule.

Yeah, agree.

After doing a little more digging am changing my initial opinion/view on the event.

First impression was that the student and the guard got into a shouting match lobbing the n-bomb at each other. Appears now that Anderson simply used the word in the process of telling the student to stop labeling him with it. Think there is probably a pretty good chance that Anderson (the security guard) gets re-instated.

Marlon Anderson: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Would you agree that "Anyone who gets bent out of shape over not getting respect from a scofflaw probably should not be working as a police officer."?

Yes.

The kid baited this guard and he made the mistake of taking that bait and stooping to the level of the unruly student.

I'd expect more self-control and better judgment from someone in charge of protecting minors. Apparently so would the school district for the city of Madison, WI.

Yes.

The kid baited this guard and he made the mistake of taking that bait and stooping to the level of the unruly student.

I'd expect more self-control and better judgment from someone in charge of protecting minors. Apparently so would the school district for the city of Madison, WI.

I appreciate the humour of taking the position that it is improper to use the actual term that you want someone to stop using when you are telling them to stop using it.

I say this because I endured a lengthy "meeting" with the nun who was in charge of the school that I was attending during which she repeatedly tried to tell me to stop doing something which she disapproved of without once actually mentioning what it was that she disapproved of.

FWIW, what she objected to was two consenting adults engaging in "adult relationships in bed" and the situation was the classic "The Young Doctor and the Student Nurse" scenario. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I wasn't exactly being monogamous at the time because she would have been even more shocked at a "Student Nurse and Student Nurse" scenario (let alone two of them).

From the BBC

US black school aide fired for rebuking boy's use of n-word

Students at a Wisconsin school have protested against the firing of a black security guard after he told a student not to call him a racial slur.

Marlon Anderson was sacked for repeating the n-word while scolding a black pupil who addressed him with the epithet.

Mr Anderson was asked on 9 October to help remove an unruly teen, who then began directing racial abuse at him.

He was sacked from West High School in the city of Madison on Wednesday.

COMMENT:-

Reading this article reminded me of the time that I was called into the office of the "Head Nun" (I was enrolled in a Catholic School at the time) and spent the better part of an hour with her trying to tell me not to do something that she adamantly refused to specifically identify.

My black co-workers use the N word all the time during conversations. Only blacks can use the N word. If a white person used that word, he would be racist.
They need to reinstate the guard. Shame on the school district.

I appreciate the humour of taking the position that it is improper to use the actual term that you want someone to stop using when you are telling them to stop using it.

The kid wasn't going to stop cussing, so why cuss back at him?

Just an example of someone who can't keep their cool and remain professional in an uncomfortable situation, ie, an example of someone who shouldn't be a guard at a high school.

The kid wasn't going to stop cussing, so why cuss back at him?

The incident proceeded roughly along these lines

STUDENT - "F*** Y** you N****r."

GUARD - "You can't say that word."

STUDENT - "What word, you f*****g N***r?"

GUARD - "You know what word."

STUDENT - "If you don't f*****g tell me what f*****g word you f*****g N*****r how the f**k am I going to know what f*****g word I can't say you stupid f*****g N****r?"

STUDENT - "If you don't f*****g tell me what f*****g word you f*****g N*****r how the f**k am I going to know what f*****g word I can't say you stupid f*****g N****r?"

GUARD - "You can't say N****r."

SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION - "You are fired for using racist language to a student.".

REMAINDER OF THE ENTIRE KNOWN UNIVERSE - "What a heaping, steaming, load of crap that decision was.".

SCHOOL ADMINISTRATION - "We have a zero tolerance policy on the use of racist language so f*** **f."

So how did the guard "cuss" anyone? I get it that it sure looks like you are taking the student's side against the "Uppity 'N-word'", but I may be wrong and, if you can explain how the guard actually "cussed" anyone, I'm quite prepared to reconsider that opinion.

If you can't, well then ...

Just an example of someone who can't keep their cool and remain professional in an uncomfortable situation, ie, an example of someone who shouldn't be a guard at a high school.

Ummm - You do know that the Vice-Principle is NOT "a guard at a high school", don't you?

:coffeepap

Union official: Fired Wisconsin school guard gets job back

October 21, 2019

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin school district is rehiring a black security guard after he was fired last week for repeating a racial slur while telling a student not to use it, a union official said Monday.

Doug Keillor, executive director of Madison Teachers Inc., said that the union was contacted by school officials Monday saying interim Superintendent Jane Belmore decided to rescind the firing of Marlon Anderson.

Anderson said in a Facebook post Monday afternoon, “I’m back!!” He said he learned of his rehiring while at his new job Monday.

“Thank you to the 1,000 plus students for allowing your voices to be heard and to all the people from across the globe for reaching out to my family,” Anderson said in his post.

Keillor said Anderson, 48, will be on paid leave as he works with the district on a transition plan back to the school.

“We are very pleased,” Keillor told The Associated Press......

Read more here: Union official: Fired Wisconsin school guard gets job back

And this is where this all leads:

Charge dropped against teacher seen on video punching student who called him racial slur

The moment a "racial slur" is involved, all poor behavior is excused - including teachers beating the **** out of kids.

Punch a Nazi... I guess.

Possibly you might want to familiarize yourself with Chaplinsky v New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568 (1942) and its

" ... words which 'by their very utterance, inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.' ..."

Mind you, thinking that something that has been recognized by American law for 77 years is a "new" development is something that very few people are capable of doing.

What, specifically, is the relevance of that case to this one?

What, specifically, is the relevance of that case to this one?

If you had read the case (or even the excerpt from the reasons for judgment that I included in my post) you would have had the answer to your question before you asked it.

HINT
"Fighting words"

Everyone knows it's always okay for black people to use the N-word.

:lamo

A stupid concept is "fighting words", for sure, but the case is still irrelevant - disciplining the student for bad speech is different from excusing a teacher for beating the **** out of that same student for that same speech.

Would you feel comfortable sending your child to school knowing that if they offended a teacher, they could have the **** beat out of them by that teacher? Should teachers be so thin-skinned that childish taunts move them to violent rage?

And, hell, even if we loved living in a world where feelings of personal offence can excuse physical violence, one might still well argue that a child is not properly capable of reasoning out the consequences of their actions and so - even in this bizarro world where people can assault others just for their words - responding to a child's "fighting words" by actually fighting said child would not be okay... and might even be less okay if the adult in question had been put in a particularly strong position of authority (like being a teacher) over the child whom others might reasonably believe had a responsibility to - if not ensure the child's safety - at least not intentionally threaten it by, say, beating the **** out of a kid.

But this being bizarro world and all, I'm probably expecting too much.

A stupid concept is "fighting words", for sure, but the case is still irrelevant - disciplining the student for bad speech is different from excusing a teacher for beating the **** out of that same student for that same speech.

Would you feel comfortable sending your child to school knowing that if they offended a teacher, they could have the **** beat out of them by that teacher? Should teachers be so thin-skinned that childish taunts move them to violent rage?

And, hell, even if we loved living in a world where feelings of personal offence can excuse physical violence, one might still well argue that a child is not properly capable of reasoning out the consequences of their actions and so - even in this bizarro world where people can assault others just for their words - responding to a child's "fighting words" by actually fighting said child would not be okay... and might even be less okay if the adult in question had been put in a particularly strong position of authority (like being a teacher) over the child whom others might reasonably believe had a responsibility to - if not ensure the child's safety - at least not intentionally threaten it by, say, beating the **** out of a kid.

But this being bizarro world and all, I'm probably expecting too much.

Considering that the student attacked the teacher first and that the teacher did NOT "beat the **** out of a kid" I'm not quite sure what your point is - well, other than you REALLY do want to ignore what the actual state of the law is.

Back
Top Bottom