• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US banker with ties to Putin’s inner circle sought access to Trump transition: Sources

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From ABC News

US banker with ties to Putin’s inner circle sought access to Trump transition: Sources

Nine days after Donald Trump won the presidency, as scores of supporters clamored for meetings with his transition team, the Hollywood producer of “The Apprentice,” Mark Burnett, reached out to one of Trump’s closest advisers to see if he would sit down with a banker who has long held ties to Russia.

The banker, Robert Foresman, never got the role he was seeking with the fledgling Trump administration. But he has recently attracted the attention of congressional investigators as one more name on an expanding list of Americans with established ties inside the Kremlin who appears to have been seeking access to the newly elected president’s inner circle, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

Foresman, who is now vice chairman of the Swiss bank UBS’s investment arm, lived for years in Moscow, where he led a $3 billion Russian investment fund and was touted by his new company as someone who maintains connections to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s inner circle. Reached by phone, Foresman declined to comment. Attorneys he has hired, including one in Washington who was hired to deal with the congressional probe, also declined to discuss the matter.

COMMENT:-

I suspect that a whole lot of people are going to try and make "Anti-Trump" mileage out of this story and that's about as sensible (on the state of current information) as blaming a Judge because some criminal made an unsuccessful attempt to bribe them.

A brand new administration and people are looking to get a position with them?
Sound like a devious Russian plot that failed? :lamo
A very slow news day for ABC?

The banker, Robert Foresman, never got the role he was seeking with the fledgling Trump administration.

Let me take a guess the democratic congress is going to haul him
before one of the many committees that will be harassing President
Trump shortly?

I think that the buried lead in that article is the meeting with Sechin from Rosneft.

Now... let me get out more red string and thumbtacks.

From ABC News

Nine days after Donald Trump won the presidency, as scores of supporters clamored for meetings with his transition team, the Hollywood producer of “The Apprentice,” Mark Burnett, reached out to one of Trump’s closest advisers to see if he would sit down with a banker who has long held ties to Russia.

The banker, Robert Foresman, never got the role he was seeking with the fledgling Trump administration. But he has recently attracted the attention of congressional investigators as one more name on an expanding list of Americans with established ties inside the Kremlin who appears to have been seeking access to the newly elected president’s inner circle, according to three sources familiar with the matter.

Foresman, who is now vice chairman of the Swiss bank UBS’s investment arm, lived for years in Moscow, where he led a $3 billion Russian investment fund and was touted by his new company as someone who maintains connections to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s inner circle. Reached by phone, Foresman declined to comment. Attorneys he has hired, including one in Washington who was hired to deal with the congressional probe, also declined to discuss the matter.

COMMENT:-

I suspect that a whole lot of people are going to try and make "Anti-Trump" mileage out of this story and that's about as sensible (on the state of current information) as blaming a Judge because some criminal made an unsuccessful attempt to bribe them.

Just the fact that this person "sought access" shows that he did not succeed but the left will start crying collusion all over again anyway. More than likely, several foreign governments sought access to Obama as well. Doesn't mean a damn thing.

A brand new administration and people are looking to get a position with them?
Sound like a devious Russian plot that failed? :lamo
A very slow news day for ABC?

The banker, Robert Foresman, never got the role he was seeking with the fledgling Trump administration.

Sounds like it was open season and our Govt. was up for sale to me. Perhaps the banker underbid.

Just the fact that this person "sought access" shows that he did not succeed but the left will start crying collusion all over again anyway. More than likely, several foreign governments sought access to Obama as well. Doesn't mean a damn thing.

I quite agree.

However, if there is more about this than we know at present I'm quite prepared to shift on that point (and in either direction once that "more" comes out).

Sounds like it was open season and our Govt. was up for sale to me. Perhaps the banker underbid.

It sounds like someone THOUGHT that "it was open season and our Govt. was up for sale" - which, alone, should be cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom