• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US army officer sues police who pointed guns and pepper-sprayed him during traffic stop

Utility Man

Sidewalk Inspector
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
US army officer sues police who pointed guns and pepper-sprayed him during traffic stop

Lt Caron Nazario, who is Black and Latino, files suit after encounter in which officers referenced execution
Associated Press in Richmond, Virginia

Sat 10 Apr 2021 13.18 EDT

A second lieutenant in the US army is suing two Virginia police officers over a traffic stop last December in which the officers drew their guns, pointed them at him and used a slang term to suggest he was facing execution before pepper-spraying him and knocking him to the ground.

Body camera footage shows Caron Nazario, who is Black and Latino, dressed in uniform and with his hands held in the air outside the driver’s window as he tells the armed officers he is “honestly afraid to get out” of his SUV.

“Yeah, you should be!” one officer responds during the stop at a gas station............

Can't blame the guy for wanting to pull over in a well lit area with power tripping cops like that on the prowl.

Reaching to open the door or undoing the seat belt might give them an excuse to execute him as well.

Then they could say it looked like he was going for a weapon.

What a sad scene.

Those police officers have some splainin to do.

I joke but that was pure overreaction by both officers, perhaps assault, and talking to Nazario like that including confirming he should be scared was entirely uncalled for. This is the sort of shit that gives today's civil rights movement all the conformation that we have a long way to go.

I have two comments on this incident;

Why did it take from December to April for this to become public?

How do LEOs act when there is no camera rolling?

finally, “...how are we to tell if you are a good one...?” Really?

Lt Caron Nazario, who is Black and Latino, files suit after encounter in which officers referenced execution
Associated Press in Richmond, Virginia

Sat 10 Apr 2021 13.18 EDT

A second lieutenant in the US army is suing two Virginia police officers over a traffic stop last December in which the officers drew their guns, pointed them at him and used a slang term to suggest he was facing execution before pepper-spraying him and knocking him to the ground.

Body camera footage shows Caron Nazario, who is Black and Latino, dressed in uniform and with his hands held in the air outside the driver’s window as he tells the armed officers he is “honestly afraid to get out” of his SUV.

“Yeah, you should be!” one officer responds during the stop at a gas station............

Can't blame the guy for wanting to pull over in a well lit area with power tripping cops like that on the prowl.

Reaching to open the door or undoing the seat belt might give them an excuse to execute him as well.

Then they could say it looked like he was going for a weapon.

What a sad scene.

'You want to stop in a well light area because you're nervous?"

Answer: "yes"

Do you blame him?

Time for some conservatives to tell us why this is all justified because they read on a blog somewhere that this guy stole a candy bar when he was in 4th grade. I mean, how else are they supposed to act with such a hardened criminal!? </s>

That they can act like this to a guy in uniform while they know they're being recorded is totally bizarre. How crazy and violent some cops must act when they're not being recorded. In case anyone was wondering, THIS is what BLM was all about.

Because they can. Unless the DA decides to press criminal (assault and battery?) charges, nothing is likely to happen since suing the state, county or city is expensive and unlikely to work.

Not a lawyer/Holiday Inn Express a few years ago.

I think there is ample evidence here for a lawsuit, barring some damning earlier activity..

This is simple bullshit, if we have all the details......

I think it's hard for most people to understand how a Black person can be so fearful of police as we've never experienced what this man, and many Blacks, have endured at the hands of abusive and racists cops. The few times I've been pulled over for speeding tickets the police have been very courteous. But I'm white.

If me and my demographic were treated the way this guy was I would be afraid and probably hateful as well. I would see the police as serving no purpose useful to me and only existing to intimidate and subjugate.

That guy screaming at him to keep his hands outside of the window but to get out of the car. No clear directions. How the hell is he supposed to even open the door. They are lunatics.

If this went down as presented, they should be relieved of their duties. Permanently.

I like how he yells at him to open the car but the dude was just sprayed..

Yeah last thing I'm gonna do is open a door while my face is on fire.

......In a report from that night the officers said they had pulled over Lieutenant Nazario because his S.U.V. did not have license plates. Lieutenant Nazario said he had recently bought a Chevrolet Tahoe and was waiting for license plates. Temporary ones had been taped inside the rear window and were visible, according to the lawsuit.

The police report also said Lieutenant Nazario had “willfully and wantonly disregarded” police lights and sirens before pulling over, and “was actively resisting” when Officer Crocker attempted to open the S.U.V.’s driver-side door.

Lawyers for Lieutenant Nazario filed copies of video footage from his cellphone......

.....Officer Gutierrez said he would not have to write a summons for obstruction of justice and failure to display a license plate “if you want to chill and let this go.”

If he wrote a summons, the Army would have to be alerted, Officer Gutierrez told Lieutenant Nazario.....

Looks like part of the cell phone video is in the article above, also below.

He has a fairly good and solid law suit here.
I think so as well. It seems to be a small police force so I hope they have insurance for this type of thing.

Not a lawyer/Holiday Inn Express a few years ago.

I think there is ample evidence here for a lawsuit, barring some damning earlier activity..

This is simple bullshit, if we have all the details......

Disagree.....he will lose the lawsuit...by a wide margin in my opinion, IF it goes to trial/court and the city doesn't just settle to get it over with.

The guy argued, argued, argued, didn't comply etc. refused a lawful order etc, he will be lucky to stay in the military after this.

They didn't have to spray him.Just rough him up a bit.Again a loud mouth guy who just wouldn't listen.

They didn't have to spray him.Just rough him up a bit.Again a loud mouth guy who just wouldn't listen.
Disagree.....he will lose the lawsuit...by a wide margin in my opinion, IF it goes to trial/court and the city doesn't just settle to get it over with.
The guy argued, argued, argued, didn't comply etc. refused a lawful order etc, he will be lucky to stay in the military after this.
Ah there you are. We were wondering when one of you would show up and start victim blaming. They had no reason to arrest him in the first place and approached his car with guns drawn for no reason. Any minority knows if you let your hands get out of sight to unbuckle or open up a door they'll shoot you dead, which you would also defend.

Also, you're absolutely ****ing delusional if you think he's going to get kicked out of the military for being wrongfully assaulted by two dumbass cops.

Ah there you are. We were wondering when one of you would show up and start victim blaming. They had no reason to arrest him in the first place and approached his car with guns drawn for no reason. Any minority knows if you let your hands get out of sight to unbuckle or open up a door they'll shoot you dead, which you would also defend.

100% wrong, they had reason to stop him, as soon as he refused to comply, they had reason to approach with taser's drawn....the kid made it worse on him by not complying, simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom