• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US and Russia agree Syria chemical weapons deal in Geneva

Fallenangel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
BBC News - US and Russia agree Syria chemical weapons deal in Geneva

"Mr Kerry said inspectors must be on the ground by November, and that the stockpiles should be removed or destroyed by mid-2014.
The six points outlined by Mr Kerry were:

1. The amount and type of chemical weapons must be agreed and "rapidly" placed under international control
2. Syria must submit within one week a comprehensive listing of its stockpiles
3. Extraordinary procedures under the Chemical Weapons Convention will allow "expeditious destruction"
4. Syria must give inspectors "immediate, unfettered access" to all sites
5. All chemical weapons must be destroyed, including the possibility of removing weapons from Syrian territory
6. UN will provide logistical support, and compliance would be enforced under Chapter VII"

So...they have set the rules the game, meanwhile the war in Syria will go on.

Cheers,
Fallen.

"Mr Kerry said inspectors must be on the ground by November, and that the stockpiles should be removed or destroyed by mid-2014.

1. The amount and type of chemical weapons must be agreed and "rapidly" placed under international control
3. Extraordinary procedures under the Chemical Weapons Convention will allow "expeditious destruction"
5. All chemical weapons must be destroyed, including the possibility of removing weapons from Syrian territory
6. UN will provide logistical support, and compliance would be enforced under Chapter VII"

Cheers,
Fallen.

More like this is the platform from which Syria and Assad will for some reason be found guilty and attacked later on. Buying time until the opposition and Russia clears away a bit I guess.

More like this is the platform from which Syria and Assad will for some reason be found guilty and attacked later on. Buying time until the opposition and Russia clears away a bit I guess.

Doubt it.

Cheers,
Fallen.

Doubt it.

Cheers,
Fallen.

Syria is like Bosnia I think. It takes a while longer to crunch all the variables prior to strikes and liberation.

You doubt it but what if some of these inspectors find other clues that hint other forms of WMD's?

I agree that the "War is Good Business" machine operating in the USA will continue to attempt to create chaos in Syria. I also think the USA will have a problem with the International Press trying to promote their false agenda for war. It seems many of the citizens of the USA have awakened to the fact that these wars don't benefit anyone except those that profit from War. On the other hand, can the USA economy survive without War. It's a $700 billion Military Offense budget that was hit by sequestration and perhaps will be hit again next month. I hope so. It is a painful way for the Nation, but there seems to be no other effective manner to cut Military spending. Let's bite the bullet and retire all those lying warmongers.

Syria is like Bosnia I think. It takes a while longer to crunch all the variables prior to strikes and liberation.
You doubt it but what if some of these inspectors find other clues that hint other forms of WMD's?

The situation is quite different with Syria, mostly because of the apparent opinion change in the Western world regarding "freedom wars".

I am not an expert on disposal of chem. weapons, but I doubt that these inspectors would have the ability and the carte blanche to investigate for other WMDs.

Fallen.

Cheers,
Fallen.

The bottom line is the UN inspectors and CW destruction time line for Syria allows Assad another 9 or 10 months (minimum) for business as ususal, then things will be evaluated/negotiated again. A great victory for team Obama?

I see where you're coming from DDD. I'm hoping we will end up with a president who will be anti-war for a change.

The bottom line is the UN inspectors and CW destruction time line for Syria allows Assad another 9 or 10 months (minimum) for business as ususal, then things will be evaluated/negotiated again. A great victory for team Obama?

Absolutely right! So, nothing changes for at least a year, Russia, Iran and Syria continue doing what they are doing and Obama doesn't have to make a decision (wiping his brow). Some will see this as a win-win. I see it as a lose-lose.

Absolutely right! So, nothing changes for at least a year, Russia, Iran and Syria continue doing what they are doing and Obama doesn't have to make a decision (wiping his brow). Some will see this as a win-win. I see it as a lose-lose.

Obama did make decisions, several of them, in fact. Mainly Obama decided to lead from behind and say many different things without actually doing much of anything. Obama is a great leader, making the U.S. respected throughout the world. ;)

Yep. There are parts of Syria the government does not control and I am willing to bet there are people in Syria with chemical weapons that the government does not control as well, but the government will be blamed.

Cheers,
Fallen.

Heya FA. :2wave: Course then the Leaders of the Rebel/Terrorists had to speak out. What is still a bit amusing is that the MS media would allow the Rebels/ Terrorists to use them to get out their message out. Which they still will not accept any peace talks. Showing they do not want to end the conflict. The French and Brits officially recognized the Rebel/Terrorist as the Official Ruling government of Syria.

But now both have just been shown and thru the UN. That Assad is still the ruling government of Syria. That the French's grand little scheme has now been put to a flat out bust. Which means France running into the UN and saying and recognizing Terrorists as the Ruling government of a country, needs to be addressed. Upfront and with France being humiliated on the World Stage repeatedly for their sheer incompetent meddling into others affairs.

From your link FA. Note the Press not wanting to call them the Rebels or terrorists. Even more hilarious is them calling Idris a military leader. Now that is funny.

However, the military leader of the anti-Assad Free Syrian Army rejected the deal and promised to continue fighting

"There is nothing in this agreement that concerns us," said Gen Salim Idriss, describing it as a Russian initiative designed to gain time for the Syrian government.

Mr Kerry said he hoped the deal would help kick-start a wider peace process.....snip~

Yeah after the Rebels/ Terrorists say No to peace.....Kerry still hopes for Peace. Yeah........Righhhhhhht. :roll:

Last edited:

Cheers,
Fallen.

This is good news. Hopefully, efforts will be made to initiate a ceasefire in the near-term. A near-term deal to block arms shipments to the warring parties would also be helpful, but given that so many outside parties are vested in aiding one or the other side, that deal is not likely, even as it could reduce the intensity of the conflict.

The situation is quite different with Syria, mostly because of the apparent opinion change in the Western world regarding "freedom wars".

I am not an expert on disposal of chem. weapons, but I doubt that these inspectors would have the ability and the carte blanche to investigate for other WMDs.

Fallen.

Why should these inspectors be experts for chems and no other WMD's?

This is good news. Hopefully, efforts will be made to initiate a ceasefire in the near-term. A near-term deal to block arms shipments to the warring parties would also be helpful, but given that so many outside parties are vested in aiding one or the other side, that deal is not likely, even as it could reduce the intensity of the conflict.

Mornin DS. :2wave: Plus Assad has now put out bounties for the Capture of Foreign Fighters in the country. Which can be used and those captured placed on their Television and in the News. Legally tried in a court of law.

Yep. There are parts of Syria the government does not control and I am willing to bet there are people in Syria with chemical weapons that the government does not control as well, but the government will be blamed.

You are on for that bet. How much?

LOL at this. "3. Extraordinary procedures under the Chemical Weapons Convention will allow "expeditious destruction"."

Yes siree bob, get rid of all evidence of where the stuff came from to begin with. And have all the players agree to it. No way Kerry wants any evidence on display about the origin of the weapons.

Why should these inspectors be experts for chems and no other WMD's?

Their professional expertise is irrelevant (sorry if that is what you understood from my post).
What is relevant is the mandate they would be given and their ability to enforce this mandate and their own authority on the ground.

Fallen.

Their professional expertise is irrelevant (sorry if that is what you understood from my post).
What is relevant is the mandate they would be given and their ability to enforce this mandate and their own authority on the ground.

Fallen.

If they happen to find clues for other WMD's you suppose they should ignore them?

LOL at this. "3. Extraordinary procedures under the Chemical Weapons Convention will allow "expeditious destruction"."

Yes siree bob, get rid of all evidence of where the stuff came from to begin with. And have all the players agree to it. No way Kerry wants any evidence on display about the origin of the weapons.

I think they are Russian :) . You?

If they happen to find clues for other WMD's you suppose they should ignore them?

Never said that, but their mandate would most probably be different and limited - they would not come to investigate in search of various kinds of WMDs, but to monitor and inspect the already listed and presented chemical storage sites.

Fallen.

Agreed. Assad and Putin got what they wanted - a delay. Let's see what comes out of it - my guess is "nothing".

Never said that, but their mandate would most probably be different and limited - they would not come to investigate in search of various kinds of WMDs, but to monitor and inspect the already listed and presented chemical storage sites.

Fallen.

Well we know these inspector will go in.....so who in NATO is going to go and validate and help secure the chems that Assad gives up? I didn't see any of that in the agreement.

Which Kerry better not commit us to that action. Plus no one is going to just accept Russia's word they on they will do it.

Back
Top Bottom