• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US And Allies Agree To Release 60 Million Barrels Of Oil From Their Reserves As russian Invasion Of Ukraine Causes Price Spike

The new F150 has a 300 mi range with the upgraded battery, has a 44 min 15-80 charging time and starts at only $42k
I've seen that. Seems a good design for a lightweight hybrid/electric. Let's see if they manage to come up with more heavy-duty options that have electric.

I've seen that. Seems a good design for a lightweight hybrid/electric. Let's see if they manage to come up with more heavy-duty options that have electric.

The F-150 Lightening is not a hybrid - it is 100% electric. Fully loaded, the F-150 Lightening is close to $100K. The extended-range battery option alone is nearly $20K. It’s a very nice truck for sure, but you can buy a lot of gasoline (5K gallons at $4/gallon) for $20K (enough to drive about 100K miles at 20 mpg).

All the more reason to go EV. Saudi Arabia has already said they won't increase production to support the oil crisis due to the "Russian" problem. So, sanction SA until to force them to produce and make more money for themselves. If they don't join the effort, F'n take them over. Easier than a nuclear WW3. Plus, do a DPA on US oil production.
Well I don't think the Saudi's know what to do.
in 2018 Trump went to them and asked them to increase their oil production to put pressure on IRAN and they did.
then they got into the price war with Russia and drove prices even lower until the US oil industry could not compete and shut down a lot of their wells ( and still have not opened a lot of them yet ) and they put political pressure on Trump and he went back to the Saudi's and told them to cut their production and RAISE prices or he would stop their Military aid so they did .
and then we know what happened prices are still up and they are keeping supplies low
and when Biden went back and asked them to increase production again they said NO
why don't you people in the US make up your minds
you want us to increase production then you want us to decrease production now you want us to increase production MAKE UP YOUR MIND.
Have a nice day

Better yet just pump our own oil.
That would be nice the US oil industry still hasn't reopened all the wells the had operating in 2019 before they shut them down because of the Saudi Russian price war keeping the price of oil up,
Have a nice day

Electric vehicles are only practical as commuter vehicles. For many of us, vehicles are much more for actual WORK than just commuting.

So while your answer works for urban and some suburban folks, it doesn't work for others.

Most of the workers in America are commuters.

In 2013 we got my ex a Chevy Volt. It's both electric and regular gas vehicle. It charged up to 40 miles in electricity then flipped over to the gas engine when the charge was gone. We found that it rarely flipped over to the regular gas. That at least 80% of the time, it never flipped over to gas. Yes, on long trips it flipped but most people don't drive long distances at one time. Charging that vehicle each month at our home added 8 dollars to our electric bill each month.

However you can get an electric vehicle that has a charge for up to 300 miles.

Yes there are people who drive more than 300 miles in one day but they are a very small minority.

The majority of people in the US can own an electric vehicle without any problems.

We do have the vehicles now to stop using gas. We have the vehicles now to use less gas. I've owned one since April 2001. The one I have now is my fourth hybrid. I filled my car the other week for just under 35 dollars. That full tank of gas will last me at least a month of normal driving. If I take a road trip, I'll have to refill it. Plus it doesn't pollute as much a regular vehicle. In fact the emissions are so low, I've never smog checked any of my hybrids. I haven't smog checked a vehicle since the 20th century when I owned a Saturn.

How much do you spend on gas a month?

The new F150 has a 300 mi range with the upgraded battery, has a 44 min 15-80 charging time and starts at only $42k

Hyundai also has an electric vehicle that goes up to 300 miles too.

Tesla has 4 models that go 300 miles or more on a charge.

Here is a link to the list of electric vehicles that have the highest mileage charge. There are many of them:

https://www.businessinsider.com/electric-car-range-longest-miles-esla-bolt-kia-2021-7#:~:text=The%2010%20longest%20range%20electric%20cars%20you%20can,EUV%20—%20247%20miles.%20...%20More%20items...%20

Most of the workers in America are commuters.

In 2013 we got my ex a Chevy Volt. It's both electric and regular gas vehicle. It charged up to 40 miles in electricity then flipped over to the gas engine when the charge was gone. We found that it rarely flipped over to the regular gas. That at least 80% of the time, it never flipped over to gas. Yes, on long trips it flipped but most people don't drive long distances at one time. Charging that vehicle each month at our home added 8 dollars to our electric bill each month.

However you can get an electric vehicle that has a charge for up to 300 miles.

Yes there are people who drive more than 300 miles in one day but they are a very small minority.

The majority of people in the US can own an electric vehicle without any problems.

We do have the vehicles now to stop using gas. We have the vehicles now to use less gas. I've owned one since April 2001. The one I have now is my fourth hybrid. I filled my car the other week for just under 35 dollars. That full tank of gas will last me at least a month of normal driving. If I take a road trip, I'll have to refill it. Plus it doesn't pollute as much a regular vehicle. In fact the emissions are so low, I've never smog checked any of my hybrids. I haven't smog checked a vehicle since the 20th century when I owned a Saturn.

How much do you spend on gas a month?
Me? I don’t go far personally.

Just drove a hybrid minivan while on vacation - will likely buy that when my current minivan needs to be replaced. I can’t go smaller than a minivan because kid and dogs = need space for stuff. I won’t go full electric at this juncture - but will definitely consider a hybrid.

Now my husband? That’s another story. First, our business is fishing and all the boats are diesel. Gigantic inboard Diesel engines that basically drink fuel 😂

I want to say our marine fuel bills alone last year came close to $100K? I’d have to double check the receipts that we have to take to the accountant here soon.

His truck is a Dodge Ram…I’m not sure the number. It’s a heavy duty truck and he drives it 75 miles, one way. So a round trip is 150+ and then you’re talking towing and hauling. Electric doesn’t meet those criteria yet…it’s getting there with the new Ford truck but my husband won’t touch Ford trucks. (Not to mention they’re still at light weight truck not heavy duty)

Me? I don’t go far personally.

Just drove a hybrid minivan while on vacation - will likely buy that when my current minivan needs to be replaced. I can’t go smaller than a minivan because kid and dogs = need space for stuff. I won’t go full electric at this juncture - but will definitely consider a hybrid.

Now my husband? That’s another story. First, our business is fishing and all the boats are diesel. Gigantic inboard Diesel engines that basically drink fuel 😂

I want to say our marine fuel bills alone last year came close to $100K? I’d have to double check the receipts that we have to take to the accountant here soon.

His truck is a Dodge Ram…I’m not sure the number. It’s a heavy duty truck and he drives it 75 miles, one way. So a round trip is 150+ and then you’re talking towing and hauling. Electric doesn’t meet those criteria yet…it’s getting there with the new Ford truck but my husband won’t touch Ford trucks. (Not to mention they’re still at light weight truck not heavy duty)

I wouldn't buy a Ford. No matter what the model. But my best friend bought her ex a Ranger in the early 90s. That truck was in the shop constantly. It was a perfect example of what my dad said about Ford, fix or repair daily. LOL.

You and your husband are the exception. Most people don't use fuel like your husband does.

Imagine lower fuel bills because everyone else is using less gas? Your husband's business would save a ton of money if everyone who could stop using a regular gas vehicle stopped using one.

We could make gas much less influential to our economy. We have the ability now. I just wish more people would do it.

Congratulations on deciding to get a hybrid. They have subtle differences from a regular gas car. As in you don't rev the engine when starting it. Just put your foot on the brake and start the car.

After a while of driving a hybrid car, I rented a regular gas car on vacation. I was stunned by the smell of exhaust and gas. I couldn't believe I had been sitting in that smell for so many years. It didn't take me long to get used to the car not making much noise.

We now have the ability to make oil much less important in our society and world.

Yes we need oil but we can use less of it and we can stop using it for vehicles.

There are many very good fully electric vehicles. There are many very good hybrid vehicles.

I bought my first hybrid in 2001. At the time I decided to never buy a regular gas car again and I haven't. The one I'm driving now is fourth one.

My next vehicle will be fully electric.

We can make oil much less influential in our world and economy.

I wish more people would do what I have done.

If we did, a lot of very bad people in the Middle East and in russia will have a lot less influence on our world.

Saudi Arabia bailed-out the Russian oligarch Abramovich from punitive sanction by buying his Chelsea football club. Now, SA, the purveyor of human rights violations, who refuses to increase production to offset what the US would need is cutting off oil from Russia, will have not be at risk of sanction. All the more reason to go with renewable energy supplying electricity and EVs. This is the kind of legislation the Dems should be pushing to also put the Rep/cons on the spot and on the record while they still have a House to advance the legislation and a prez that will sign it. Doubtful a Manchin controlled Senate, who eats coal for breakfast, will let that legislation pass. But the members of the Senate will have to go on record. I doubt, though, that the Dems have what it takes to make political capital of it all. Oh well.

Well I don't think the Saudi's know what to do.
in 2018 Trump went to them and asked them to increase their oil production to put pressure on IRAN and they did.
then they got into the price war with Russia and drove prices even lower until the US oil industry could not compete and shut down a lot of their wells ( and still have not opened a lot of them yet ) and they put political pressure on Trump and he went back to the Saudi's and told them to cut their production and RAISE prices or he would stop their Military aid so they did .
and then we know what happened prices are still up and they are keeping supplies low
and when Biden went back and asked them to increase production again they said NO
why don't you people in the US make up your minds
you want us to increase production then you want us to decrease production now you want us to increase production MAKE UP YOUR MIND.
Have a nice day

How much money did SA lose in all their agreeing with the US? What would happen if Biden said "No military aid" to SA unless they increase production to their #1 customer? Do you think SA recognizes that Trump was a buffoon and that Biden, with all his yrs in foreign relations, is better to deal with?

I just did. What, in your mind, is the difference between supporting her point and agreeing with her point?

Allow me to clarify. I meant regarding the OP (Yes, a 'she'). That though you give facts (support) of limited impact by releasing Fed oil, do you agree with what else was stated in the OP is what is needed more than the US oil stockpile. Or, do you disagree with the need for what else the OP suggested be done?

Better yet just pump our own oil.

The oil industry are the only ones that can do that. They've no plans of theirs you can provide evidence of the industry pumping any more than they did at pre-pandemic levels. But the US and the world are moving to renewables. There will be no need to "pump our own oil" as a greater share of energy is provided by renewable sources.

Back
Top Bottom