• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

US’ poorest suffer from blood-sucking parasite because they can’t afford septic tank (VIDEO)

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.rt.com/usa/446877-alabama-hookwarm-infection-video/

Hookworm, a blood-sucking parasite thought eradicated in the US in the last century, is now seeing a resurgence in Alabama. In the Now explains how wealth inequality and racism put the state on par with countries like Honduras.

Lowndes County is part of Alabama’s so-called Black Belt, a name reflecting its majority population and dark soil. The soil has clay-like properties and cannot absorb water very well. It means special septic systems need to be installed there to treat sewage. Spending some $10,000 on such a system in a country where a third of people live in poverty is not an option for many households, so they often get a regular system that is twice cheaper. Unfortunately, such septics clog and overflow in rain, resulting in literal cesspools forming in people’s backyards.
======================================
What a charming image of rural Alabama. They may not have Jim Crow any more but instead they have hookworm.

Having lived for many years in rural areas of NJ where city sewage was not available, septic systems (septic tanks coupled to drainage fields) are a way of life. But I still would not want my kids sledding on the septic mound in winter. I had a Siamese kitten once, the runt of the litter, and it had dermal hookworm that needed constant attention until a veterinarian diagnosed the problem as being a dietary deficiency of a vitamin.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookworm

I suppose that changing and/or enforcing building codes to deal with the problem would be deemed racist.

A lot of them good ole boys have more head lice and hookworms than brain cells.
Mebbe they done got all et up by 'em.

I thought this was a thread about politicians....

Mildly disappointed.

#hookwormlivesmatter

Hookworm, a blood-sucking parasite thought eradicated in the US in the last century, is now seeing a resurgence in Alabama. In the Now explains how wealth inequality and racism put the state on par with countries like Honduras.

Lowndes County is part of Alabama’s so-called Black Belt, a name reflecting its majority population and dark soil. The soil has clay-like properties and cannot absorb water very well. It means special septic systems need to be installed there to treat sewage. Spending some $10,000 on such a system in a country where a third of people live in poverty is not an option for many households, so they often get a regular system that is twice cheaper. Unfortunately, such septics clog and overflow in rain, resulting in literal cesspools forming in people’s backyards.
What a charming image of rural Alabama. They may not have Jim Crow any more but instead they have hookworm.

Having lived for many years in rural areas of NJ where city sewage was not available, septic systems (septic tanks coupled to drainage fields) are a way of life. But I still would not want my kids sledding on the septic mound in winter. I had a Siamese kitten once, the runt of the litter, and it had dermal hookworm that needed constant attention until a veterinarian diagnosed the problem as being a dietary deficiency of a vitamin.

What a perfect place to send 10 tons of Yankee poop!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...mall-alabama-town-until-the-town-fought-back/

Correct or not, using the Russian Propaganda Ministry (RT) as a source tends to make me pay less, if any, attention to a thread.

Correct or not, using the Russian Propaganda Ministry (RT) as a source tends to make me pay less, if any, attention to a thread.

Well at least they didn't run footage from Romania claiming it was Americans drinking coffee made from snow. :lamo

I suppose that changing and/or enforcing building codes to deal with the problem would be deemed racist.

Unquestionably...as are the hookworms, clearly.

Lol, "you see no birds, because they are all eaten" and "this man awaits heroin" had me rolling.

I think it is Eastern European footage. Have a close look at people's eyes, many have that extra fold in the eyelid common in Eastern Europe or "Eurasia" as it has been called.

Actually it's not nearly as dishonest as the lies Trump tells..

And in some parts of the country, like Flint, Michigan, coffee or water made from snow won't kill you as fast as the water from the water system.

No, it ain't, and I lived in a trailer park in Jonesboro, Arkansas for three years, so step off.

I was just messing with you, I assumed you didn't mean anything racial by it. I have to ask though, if a Republican candidate tweeted your exact response about a majority black population, what do you believe the headlines would read?

And in some parts of the country, like Flint, Michigan, coffee or water made from snow won't kill you as fast as the water from the water system.

I was reading about that the other day. There hasn't been anything that bad since the "Love Canal" in Niagara county New York.

This problem is easily rectified as are most with you guys, you simply require a "percolation test" before a building permit. If the soil doesn't ercolate, you either use a better system or buy a tent.

I was just messing with you, I assumed you didn't mean anything racial by it. I have to ask though, if a Republican candidate tweeted your exact response about a majority black population, what do you believe the headlines would read?

Hmmm, prolly wouldn't contain "good ole boys", but maybe some other terms.
I guarantee you we were at the store buying lice treatment not even a week after our kids' school year started. They didn't have any lice till they showed up in kindergarten.

That he referenced a "majority black population".

The reason you guys are getting **** is because Stupid and his "base" are racist, say racist ****, do racist things and on and on. That hyper sensitivity is a result of being caught out so often.

That he referenced a "majority black population".

The reason you guys are getting **** is because Stupid and his "base" are racist, say racist ****, do racist things and on and on. That hyper sensitivity is a result of being caught out so often.

The article itself is referencing an area with a majority black population, I was simply pointing out that had a notable Republican had posted that same quote in a discussion of that article it would be instantly decried as racist. This has been an issue long before Stupid ever got elected, anyone that is remotely right leaning has to walk on egg shells everytime they speak publicly even if the subject has nothing to do with race as it will be spun that way regardless.

Then here's a parallel piece from The Guardian (UK):

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-county-alabama-water-waste-treatment-poverty

Hookworm, a disease of extreme poverty, is thriving in the US south. Why?

Exclusive: in America, the world’s richest country, hookworm, a parasitic disease found in areas of extreme poverty, is rampant, the first study of its kind in modern times show

Children playing feet away from open pools of raw sewage; drinking water pumped beside cracked pipes of untreated waste; human faeces flushed back into kitchen sinks and bathtubs whenever the rains come; people testing positive for hookworm, an intestinal parasite that thrives on extreme poverty.

These are the findings of a new study into endemic tropical diseases, not in places usually associated with them in the developing world of sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, but in a corner of the richest nation on earth: Alabama.
=============================
Russian sources, I agree, should always be double-checked to detect undue spin. But this story has legs.

Then here's a parallel piece from The Guardian (UK):

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...-county-alabama-water-waste-treatment-poverty

Hookworm, a disease of extreme poverty, is thriving in the US south. Why?

Exclusive: in America, the world’s richest country, hookworm, a parasitic disease found in areas of extreme poverty, is rampant, the first study of its kind in modern times show

Children playing feet away from open pools of raw sewage; drinking water pumped beside cracked pipes of untreated waste; human faeces flushed back into kitchen sinks and bathtubs whenever the rains come; people testing positive for hookworm, an intestinal parasite that thrives on extreme poverty.

These are the findings of a new study into endemic tropical diseases, not in places usually associated with them in the developing world of sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, but in a corner of the richest nation on earth: Alabama.
=============================
Russian sources, I agree, should always be double-checked to detect undue spin. But this story has legs.

Not doubting the story, maybe the political implications made but not the facts, just doubting the OP choice of a source.

Lowndes County is arguably the poorest county in the nation. Using that county, like the City of Durant within that county (yeah I've worked there), to make the US as a whole or the Southern US as a whole look bad overall is the political implication I was talking about. It makes it look like this is happening all over the country or all over the south, and gives it the sort of legs that the video in this thread made by the DPRK has when it comes to propaganda potential.

There are bad things happening in Lowdnes County, but the OP article (and the UK version) are replete with micro-characterizations and a lack of a holistic view of the actual root causes that sensationalize the problem, but do harm to efforts trying to get the problem solved. Major corporations do not want to relocate to areas that get this type of negative press. Pointing out the problem is one thing. Destroying avenues to raise the population up out of their misery is another.

Back
Top Bottom