• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Upset parents change baby at Chipotle table.

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Were the parent's actions appropriate?

Absolutely not. It's ****ing disgusting and if I were the acting manager I'd have asked them to leave immediately. As a diner in close proximity I'd have to resist the urge to rub their nose in it.

Do you think they felt they had no other choice?

There's always the car :shrug:

Do you think they did it to merely "prove a point"?

Should a restaurant be required, or even feel obligated if not required, to provide changing tables in restrooms?

Yes and no.

Should a restaurant be required, or even feel obligated if not required, to provide changing tables in restrooms?

Restaurants have no obligation to provides such facilities. They do it as a service to their customers. If the parents aren't satisfied with the services offered by the restaurant, they can go somewhere else.

They were trying to make a point, and expecting that their own needs should be met, and acting like children. I don't know what it is with the lack of class and manners that seems so prevalent now. It's a true coarsening of our society.

That's ridiculous. Some people are just plain animals.

They were trying to make a point, and expecting that their own needs should be met, and acting like children. I don't know what it is with the lack of class and manners that seems so prevalent now. It's a true coarsening of our society.
This summarizes my thoughts exactly.

1) Were the parent's actions appropriate?

2) Do you think they felt they had no other choice?

3) Do you think they did it to merely "prove a point"?

4) Should a restaurant be required, or even feel obligated if not required, to provide changing tables in restrooms?

1) No. 2) Maybe, but why not examine the restroom first then, if it is not up to their "standards", leave stating the reason. 3) Absolutely. 4) No, but see #2 - if it cost them enough business then perhaps it would be added.

Absolutely not.

There was a time that no business had such facilities. You didn't see people acting so rude because of it then. They took their child outside and used the car or even a blanket on the ground. They had choices.

The point that they're self entitled assholes is the only point that I got from this.

No a restaurant should not be required to provide changing tables. Nor should they feel obligated to. They should do it if they want...but thats it.

Oh please, lack of class has been going on since way before the younger generation.

Look no further than the morons in the baby boomer generation.

Oh please, lack of class has been going on since way before the younger generation.

Then perhaps it's just that people in this day and time don't mind openly showing the world that they are trashy. I don't recall ever seeing anyone act like this when I was younger.

What the heck? I didn't see any reference to "younger generation" in the statement you commented on. In fact it seemed rather "all inclusive". Not too classy to invent such a claim, and then denigrate another generation after doing so.

You've played right into to the stereotype.

Wow. That is... disgusting and totally unhygenic. And entitled beyond my ability to comprehend.

1. No. They were revolting and warrant being kicked out of the establishment.

2. No. Find your own time and space for it, or just don't go there if it's such a big deal. People did for decades, before changing tables were put in anywhere.

3. Yeah, probably. Passive aggressive assholery.

4. No. They can cater or not cater to whatever they want.

My brain hurts.

Back in the '90s a couple did the same thing at the restaurant where I was working. I asked them to leave as my employee brought out the sanitation bucket and dumped it on the table.

Which I would define here as a lack of respect for others and no sense of boundaries. How hard is it to take the kid out to the vehicle to change the diaper? :roll:

When I had diaper-age children to deal with, LOTS of places did not have changing tables in the men's room, even if they had them in the women's.

I managed without doing something like this.

The parents were wrong. (if they came by car, they could have gone to the car)

Changing stations are not required by law. Wonder how parents changed kids before "changing" stations?

Total disgusting. If I saw someone doing that, I think I would get a bit upset with them.

When I had diaper-age children to deal with, LOTS of places did not have changing tables in the men's room, even if they had them in the women's.

Heck, I never even had a changing table in my house. Changing a diaper isn't that technologically challenging, and if worse comes to worse, you throw a blanket down on the floor, and do the change there. It's not as if baby's psyche is going to be damaged from lack of an adequate changing environment. :lol:

This. Pretty sure my dad did too. Not much public bathroom parity back at the start of the 90's (if there even is now, which I'm pretty sure there still isn't in many places).

Absolutely not. It's ****ing disgusting and if I were the acting manager I'd have asked them to leave immediately. As a diner in close proximity I'd have to resist the urge to rub their nose in it.

There's always the car :shrug:

Yes and no.

You took the words out of my mouth. If I were there and the manager didn't speak up, I would.
Disgusting behavior with no regard to others

Our society is getting much better. It is much nicer and we are much more compassionate than we were. We just have the means to know about more of the douchebags than we have been able to in the past.

A simple fact that has always been true: society is always getting better, and people always think it is getting worse.

Then perhaps it's just that people in this day and time don't mind openly showing the world that they are trashy. I don't recall ever seeing anyone act like this when I was younger.

It seems that too many people have regard only for themselves. From cell phone etiquette to personal hygiene to clothing requirements, it seems that, the more offensive they are, the better they feel about themselves. And the rest of us better not speak up or reap their wrath.

Why couldn't they just change him on the floor and spare customers from their baby's fecal matter?

It seems that too many people have regard only for themselves. From cell phone etiquette to personal hygiene to clothing requirements, it seems that, the more offensive they are, the better they feel about themselves. And the rest of us better not speak up or reap their wrath.

What you've got is a nascent culture which believes that fomenting outrage is an appropriate way to effect change. These people are inevitably wholly self absorbed and operate from the core conviction that their world view is the only acceptable world view. They feel "disrespected" when others fail to recognize and cater to their desires. They feel oppressed when it is pointed out to them that they are not the only people on the planet and are refused services to which they believe they are entitled.

Nope, they are disgusting pigs and should have been thrown out of the restaurant. It isn't other people's job to provide things for them, they have to deal with it themselves. If that means going out to the car to change the kid, then that's what they need to do. We did that with our kids on more than one occasion, we changed them on the floor or on the counter in the bathroom if we had to. It's our responsibility, not the restaurant's.

Those parents need a swift kick in the butt on their way our the door.

Was it appropriate to change a baby's diaper on the same table where people eat?

No, of course not!

We had babies, some 40 + years ago, and few restaurants had changing tables. Believe it or not, babies dirtied diapers back then, too, but never did we find occasion to change one of them on the same table used for eating!

Yuck!

Back
Top Bottom