• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Uplifting

"If I have the pleasure of bringing out Christ - this is just how I'll do it."

Last edited:
"In the final hours of Jesus’ life with his disciples, he prepares them for what lies ahead by providing them with some ‘words to live by’.

The question isn’t ‘am I a good person or not – it is am I IN CHRIST?’

The question isn’t ‘do I go to Church regularly – it is do I KNOW CHRIST?"

Probably not a surprise to that know me in this sub forum that I'm not overly inspired by traditional hymns and sermons a lot of the time. I don't hate on them, they serve a purpose, so are good. But I find that my faith is bound by more organic themes.

However, I have found a kind of simplicity that I can relate to in Rastafarian songs - songs of praise born in poverty and desperation tend to cut closer to the heart of the matter for me. In case you are not familiar, Rastafarianism is related to Christianity in the same way Judaism and Islam are. Most of their songs are directed at the same God (who they call Jah) that Christians pray to, so while I'm not Rastafarian, I don't have a problem contemplating their spiritual music. Here's a couple I like.

"The Cross before me, the world behind me. No turning back.

It tells the story of a family in the Garo tribe from Meghalaya, then called Assam in India, who faced persecution just because of their faith in Jesus Christ. The lyrics are based on the last words of a Garo tribesman."

"When you're stepping out into obedience, you're stepping into a battlefield."

The Gospel is for all nations.

John 17

Jesus Prays for All Believers

20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message,
21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may
believe that you have sent me.

22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—
23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.
26 I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them
and that I myself may be in them.”

Last edited:

It is Thy pleasure that Thou art my joy.

Last edited:
What happened to Samson.

Abraham's story - what isn't taught in Sunday School
Learning Loop of Disobedience

Isaiah 58

6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.

9 Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

The Jesus I Never Knew

10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

11 The Lord will guide you always;
he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,

like a spring whose waters never fail.

Going back to his ancestral town, and yet no room for Joseph and Mary?

A devotional:

WHY READ THE BIBLE?

“You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about Me,
yet you refuse to come to Me to have life.”
—John 5:39-40

What is the first thing most people do after purchasing a new car? Some will immediately take it for a joy ride, while others will play with the seats and settings. Eventually, they will get around to casually browsing through the manual, by taking the time to read it diligently, and paying careful attention to maintenance issues to prevent problems down the road.

However, diligent study of the manual for its own sake completely misses the point. We could read some of it every night, underline the bits we like and put it to music and sing about it. We could even memorize particularly important parts so we do not forget them, but eventually, the day will come when we say, “I am utterly bored with this manual.” Why? Because the purpose of the manual is not to know the manual, but to know the car.

Christians will tell people to read the Bible, but how often is it explained why we should read it? Some think we read the Bible because it teaches us moral ethics and values to live by. The historically inclined might say that it is good to know the history of God’s chosen people and all the events that lead to Christ. Others will believe it to be food for their souls and find inspiration, encouragement and comfort when things go wrong. This is all wonderfully true, but the danger is in allowing our reading and studying of Scripture to become more important than who Scripture is about. Just as we read the manual to get to know our car, the primary reason we are to read the Bible is to come to know Jesus Christ and the Father who sent Him.

This is exactly what Jesus criticized the Pharisees for in the opening verses. The reason some people find the Bible dull and dry is because they think it is simply a manual on how we should live. The whole purpose of the written Word is so we can know the Living Word, and allow Him to become our life. All of the Old Testament Scripture points to Christ and the New Testament reveals Him as the climax of God’s plan for the redemption of all creation, particularly us. We are to read and study Scripture, not merely to acquire knowledge, but God speaks to us through His Word so that we may personally come to know Him and His Son. By the work of the Spirit, words will leap off the pages into our hearts and transform our lives. The more we come to know the Bible, the more we know Christ to be alive and active. It is not the Bible that saves us but Jesus who saves us!

Prayer: Father God, I want to personally come to know You and Your Son. I ask for a work of Your Holy Spirit to make the Bible come alive

and real for me. Thank You, Lord.

A valuable perspective on difficulties and troubles - a must-watch:

Back
Top Bottom