• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Updated Computer and Now Have Unwanted Edge Browser Issue

Old 'N Chill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I need advice on this problem I'm having today. I installed updates on my computer last night, and now have an Edge browser page that will not even allow me to close the browser to get back to my desktop. I never liked or wanted Edge, but it did come with my Windows 10 computer. I've been using Firefox as my default browser and that's the browser I want to continue using.

I went under Firefox options and it still shows as being the default browser. I can use the Firefox icon on the toolbar, but I cannot close the browser, somthing I do when I leave my computer for periods of time to do other things. The Edge page appears and insists that I click continue to use Edge and read its features.

I have things to do now, and I have to leave the computer on my homepage in Firefox.....just want to get rid of this Edge and get back to my desktop. Can someone suggest a simple way to fix this? I'm going to do other things now, but will check back later. Thanks.

I'm installing the update right now. Let's see if I have the same problems.

I need advice on this problem I'm having today. I installed updates on my computer last night, and now have an Edge browser page that will not even allow me to close the browser to get back to my desktop. I never liked or wanted Edge, but it did come with my Windows 10 computer. I've been using Firefox as my default browser and that's the browser I want to continue using.

I went under Firefox options and it still shows as being the default browser. I can use the Firefox icon on the toolbar, but I cannot close the browser, somthing I do when I leave my computer for periods of time to do other things. The Edge page appears and insists that I click continue to use Edge and read its features.

I have things to do now, and I have to leave the computer on my homepage in Firefox.....just want to get rid of this Edge and get back to my desktop. Can someone suggest a simple way to fix this? I'm going to do other things now, but will check back later. Thanks.
Have you tried killing Edge using Task Manager?

Have you tried killing Edge using Task Manager?

Yep, try using Task Manager to disable Edge at computer startup.

I have automatic updates on and have noticed that in last week with edge, explorer and Firefox but not Vivaldi

Control-Alt-Delete all at the same time.

I installed the update and everything is working fine.

I decided to switch from chrome to the new edge browser. It's supposed to be based on chrome. I guess google open sourced chrome or something.

Download New Microsoft Edge Browser | Microsoft

It seems pretty good.

Thanks to everyone for your input and advice, it is appreciated. :) I ended up just trying to restart the computer to see if that made a difference. I saw there were more updates, as it said update and restart, so that's what I did. I had to stay on the Firefox browser to do anything, like access the restart function. It updated for a few minutes and restarted, and now things are back to normal.

dont update

windows doesnt force the major version updates anymore. dont do them

Back
Top Bottom