• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Update: Riot at trump nm rally... Mexican flag-waving mob...

I'd like to add that I have no problem with Hispanic people who are here legally.

I like all their food....I like their music.... and their culture.

But I maintain that if you live in America, you should obey all laws, respect our culture and you should be flying the American Flag at public events and ONLY the American Flag.
They can fly the Mexican Flag if they want to. They have the freedom to do so, anyways. Same as with people flying the Confederate Flag in a public square.

I may not 100% agree with it personally, but they still have a right to do it nonetheless. And I don't want to take that right away from them.

If the rebel flag was part of the United States of America, explain then why it's actually the battle flag of Northern Virginia and began use in December 1861, about 8 months or so after Virginia succeeded from the United States of America? Meaning it's not part of the United States but the Confederate States, a different country.

As I see it, had the South won the war and established themselves as a new and/or different country, then they would be. But they lost the war and that different country thing, was never established.
Bottom line, they are still Americans and the Reb flag is as American as anything else! It's an important part of our history and the way things are going with these worthless liberals, we might see another civil war and many out West, will be a part of it!

The Mexican flag being flown they way it is being displayed is a flag of conquest. They have taken over California and incidentally, it's welfare system. The democrats have used demographics to extinguish the Republican party in California, and the democrats plan to extinguish the party nationwide the same way. Now some of you here like that, but the governor is emptying the prisons of "low level offenders" I. E. those who copped a plea and is now sending them into your neighborhoods.

And yes, we are the state where mayhem is normalized because there aren't enough cops, the prisons are overflowing, and more and more illegals are arriving everyday picking up benefit checks, free medical. Good luck with that. And don't think they integrate into a workforce. They don't like blacks and they don't like whites, so don't expect a fair shake from your new supervisor at work.

No one in power in the state cares, so I can understand why the Mexicans feel so bold at the tell the rest of America to "shove it, we're here, deal with it".

Where are the blacks? They are the ones losing the most jobs. Mexicans are also covered by affirmative action, but they get hired and blacks don't. The Asians just hide in white collar jobs, live together in their little communities. They become invisible after working hours.

Where's BJM? (Black Jobs Matter)... Well, I just made that up...

And hey, if you can burn an American flag, then you can sure as hell fly a rebel flag if you want.

You Da Man of the day!!!! Damn straight! :thumbs::thumbs:

Unfortunately, the liberal ******s in Oregon are bending the same way. liberal politicians are worthless, gutless, turds!

Last edited:
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/07/01/confederate.flag.pdf

Go to the top of page four.

I can't imagine the numbers changed that much since the poll was taken considering historical trends.

Interesting tid bit:

Do you, yourself, see the Confederate flag more as a symbol of Southern pride or more as a symbol of racism?

group %pride/racism
all 57/33
blacks 17/72
whites 66/25

This brings into question who's opinion is more important, and whether or not it warrants government regulation. There is a clear majority in each subgroup, but they have the opposite views. If black people, 72% of them, feel its racist, but 66% of white people say its just southern pride.......who's right?

The flag itself represented those who fought to keep slavery alive. I can see why black people might find it a touch offensive. It's also convenient for white racists, hiding behind the southern pride angle while it's obvious that it will be offensive to many people, most of whom they despise anyway.

You can fully disagree all you want. But the rebel flag represents the Confederate States of America which is distinct and separate from the United States of America. The CSoA was a foreign country, for the brief period it was in existence. The rebel flag is no more a part of sovereign USA as a flag of any American Indian tribe would be.

The Rebel spirit does not still "live on in the south". The Civil War ended 1865. That's when the south was sent back home with their tails between their legs, and we haven't heard a peep from them since. Sure they claim the "south will rise again" but it hasn't and it won't. The south was beaten and made subservient and they have been subservient ever since.

The Rebel flag is as foreign as the Mexican flag. The only difference is that Mexico still exists while the CSoA does not. So at least the Mexicans can hold their own.

The Reb spirit most certainly lives on in the South and the South contributes a great deal to American politics and culture. Some of our greatest statesmen have come out of the South! Strom Thrumond, Fred Thompson and many others. Certainly not Algore!

not like those Italians, flying the Italian Flag on Columbus Day....right?

A one day celebration of happiness and festivities....sanctioned by various cities....and all legal......NOT a violent illegal protest full of assholes, at a political event! Stop trying to confuse the issues with your nonsense!

They can fly the Mexican Flag if they want to. They have the freedom to do so, anyways. Same as with people flying the Confederate Flag in a public square.

I may not 100% agree with it personally, but they still have a right to do it nonetheless. And I don't want to take that right away from them.

I do because most of them are illegal anyway!

The Rebel flag is (nearly) universally perceived as a statement of racism against african americans.

That's rediculous...

There is something to say about tradition and just plain good manners. If a foreign flag is flown on U.S. soil, it should always be alongside the U.S. flag with the U.S. flag to the viewers left. No, that is not the law. Yes, everybody has a right to fly whatever flag they want. But flag protocol is a mark of civil decency and pride in tradition that I think all honorable Americans understand and respect. Only low lifes and numbnuts or woefully ignorant people would not understand and respect that protocol.

But screw the protocol for this discussion.

I live in Albuquerque. And I was heartsick at the utter cruel, disgraceful, and the reprehensible un-American behavior of some of our citizens last night, assuming that some of those people were not trucked in to join the demonstration. If shouting obscenities, assaulting peaceful citizens, injuring police officers, and damaging and destroying private businesses and city property is their idea of liberty, I want every one of them out of the country. And if I was a person of Mexican descent I was be utterly embarrassed that this kind of indefensible and lawless thuggery was done under the banner of a Mexican flag.

The Reb flag was part of America......the Mexican flag was NEVER part of America. We kicked Mexican ass after the fall of the Alamo in 1836 and the US took over the Southwest!

I have read plenty of history books, it was one of my favorite subjects in high school and college....and never once did I read that the Reb flag had anything to do with racism. The war really wasn't just about slavery either....it was a lot about economics, agriculture vs. industrial and many in the North, even had slaves of their own.
Over time it has been bastardized to be only about slavery.....and there was a lot more going on then that!

You must be reading some of those "liberal revised" history books!

:thumbs:

Dude you should think about what you are saying. The Confederates were trying to take over the US of A, they were anti-American. FFS history isnt your strong point is it?

That's rediculous...

I jumped the gun on "universally", but I can run with the numbers Henrin put up.

33% of people feel it is more of a symbol of racism, with another 5% thinking its both a symbol of southern heritage and racism equally

72% of blacks think it is more of a symbol of racism, with another 7% thinking its both equally

I think those numbers are telling to be honest.

Interesting tid bit:

This brings into question who's opinion is more important, and whether or not it warrants government regulation. There is a clear majority in each subgroup, but they have the opposite views. If black people, 72% of them, feel its racist, but 66% of white people say its just southern pride.......who's right?

The flag itself represented those who fought to keep slavery alive. I can see why black people might find it a touch offensive. It's also convenient for white racists, hiding behind the southern pride angle while it's obvious that it will be offensive to many people, most of whom they despise anyway.

Don't forget that many in the North, had slaves of their own, who were treated damn well...... and Did NOT want slavery abolished! And many slaves, North and South, were very content to be what they were. After the war, many slaves with few skills and some with little to no education, turned to a life of crime, homelessness and suicide.

I bet if you asked that question 40 years ago, before all the agitators and liberal asswipes started spouting off about the Flag, those percentages would be a LOT different!

That's ridiculous...

It most certainly is!

There is something to say about tradition and just plain good manners. If a foreign flag is flown on U.S. soil, it should always be alongside the U.S. flag with the U.S. flag to the viewers left. No, that is not the law. Yes, everybody has a right to fly whatever flag they want. But flag protocol is a mark of civil decency and pride in tradition that I think all honorable Americans understand and respect. Only low lifes and numbnuts or woefully ignorant people would not understand and respect that protocol.

But screw the protocol for this discussion.

I live in Albuquerque. And I was heartsick at the utter cruel, disgraceful, and the reprehensible un-American behavior of some of our citizens last night, assuming that some of those people were not trucked in to join the demonstration. If shouting obscenities, assaulting peaceful citizens, injuring police officers, and damaging and destroying private businesses and city property is their idea of liberty, I want every one of them out of the country. And if I was a person of Mexican descent I was be utterly embarrassed that this kind of indefensible and lawless thuggery was done under the banner of a Mexican flag.

Thank you and well stated. Fully agree in total! :thumbs::thumbs:

Dude you should think about what you are saying. The Confederates were trying to take over the US of A, they were anti-American. FFS history isnt your strong point is it?

BS! They were not anti-American at all...... they were anti-the current government. They were not trying to take over America, they were attempting to make it a better place. Opposing views and a civil war is not trying to take over, IMO.
You better go back and look at some of the old history books from the time after the war....not the revisionists books put out now, that whitewash a lot of our history!

There was a Mexican restaurant in Oregon a few years ago, who placed the Mexican flag above the US flag, on their flag pole above the building. That lasted about a week before the entire community raised hell about it! The city told them to fix it, or they would take action against them .....and people were boycotting them as well. It was fixed overnight.

Don't forget that many in the North, had slaves of their own, who were treated damn well...... and Did NOT want slavery abolished! And many slaves, North and South, were very content to be what they were. After the war, many slaves with few skills and some with little to no education, turned to a life of crime, homelessness and suicide.

I bet if you asked that question 40 years ago, before all the agitators and liberal asswipes started spouting off about the Flag, those percentages would be a LOT different!

Today it is perceived by many to come from a time when black people were considered a type of livestock, and represents those who fought change in an attempt to keep it that way. I can understand why they might find it offensive, and it's pretty callous to say that doesn't matter.

Does it really matter if they were treated well? They were still livestock, and they knew they were in for a rocky transition I'm sure. Even if northern slave owners treated their slaves well, they didn't have to.

I'm thinking some are uncomfortable with what happened in Albuquerque last night and are attempting to divert the discussion to something else. Like the Civil War.

BS! They were not anti-American at all...... they were anti-the current government. They were not trying to take over America, they were attempting to make it a better place. Opposing views and a civil war is not trying to take over, IMO.
You better go back and look at some of the old history books from the time after the war....not the revisionists books put out now, that whitewash a lot of our history!

Wow talking about revisionist history; did you go to a Neo-Confederate school or something? I mean you are parroting neo-confederates perfectly as if you were schooled in it. You probably havent actually looked into any of it yourself; apparently.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — In one of the presidential campaign year's more grisly spectacles, protesters in New Mexico opposing Donald Trump's candidacy threw burning T-shirts, plastic bottles and other items at police officers, injuring several, and toppled trash cans and barricades.

Police responded by firing pepper spray and smoke grenades into the crowd outside the Albuquerque Convention Center.

During the rally, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee was interrupted repeatedly by protesters, who shouted, held up banners and resisted removal by security officers.

The banners included the messages "Trump is Fascist" and "We've heard enough."

Anti-Trump protests turn violent outside New Mexico rally

These idiot protestors these days need people like MLK to help them because all they are doing is making themselves look like the problem that Trump makes them out to be... unruley assholes.

I watched the live feed for five hours and for the most part it was a peaceful protest. Then later in the evening a bunch of hooligans showed up and started taunting the police and other protestors. So the police threw a couple smoke bombs and started moving people out. I think there was only one arrest the entire night.

I think the Albuquerque police deserve a lot of credit for the way they handled the protest and kept everyone safe. The media failed miserably to objectively cover the protest.

I jumped the gun on "universally", but I can run with the numbers Henrin put up.

33% of people feel it is more of a symbol of racism, with another 5% thinking its both a symbol of southern heritage and racism equally

72% of blacks think it is more of a symbol of racism, with another 7% thinking its both equally

I think those numbers are telling to be honest.

Well I guess it sucks to be those people. They aught to grow some hide...

These idiot protestors these days need people like MLK to help them because all they are doing is making themselves look like the problem that Trump makes them out to be... unruley assholes.

And who with any intelligence thinks the way to win the hearts and minds of people is through utter thuggery towards innocent people, trashing private and public property, and injuring cops and horses?

I watched the live feed for five hours and for the most part it was a peaceful protest. Then later in the evening a bunch of hooligans showed up and started taunting the police and other protestors. So the police threw a couple smoke bombs and started moving people out. I think there was only one arrest the entire night.

I think the Albuquerque police deserve a lot of credit for the way they handled the protest and kept everyone safe. The media failed miserably to objectively cover the protest.

I agree. Until the media starts calling these thugs and hoodlums and paid trouble makers what they are, they are going to continue thinking they win the hearts and minds of Americans doing this kind of indefensible and unjustifiable stuff.

The Rebel flag is as foreign as the Mexican flag. The only difference is that Mexico still exists while the CSoA does not. So at least the Mexicans can hold their own.

Hmmm..... has Mexico ever been out numbered, then invaded by an industrialized power seeking to subjugate it? And no, the goal of the US in the Mexican American war was not to subjugate the country. Rather, it was to extort a few quasi break away regions from them.

Um, a rather large portion of the Southwestern United States once was in fact Mexico, just like a large portion of the Southeastern once in fact the Confederate. The confederate flag does not represent the USA just like the Mexican flag doesn't. Of course, when all the "freedom" stuff about the confederate flag is being screamed, you know it's not about the freedom but about a certain flag.

And yet the Reb flag is a big part of American history and should be regarded as that. The best part of the Mexican flag should be remembered for the day Santa Ana and his troops were beaten, run out of the US and their flag trampled by horses!

Wow, you never read one US history book growing up? Explains it though.

Wrong! I've read many history books, some even had the truth of what the Civil War and the Reb flag was all about.

Wow...I'm sorry, you may be too young to remember those, and were only privy to the revisionists history books that whitewashed the Civil War, just as they whitewash the Nazi atrocities, today!

So who will be the first to cry out demanding that the State of New Mexico change it's name?

Back
Top Bottom