• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Update on Coral bleaching on Great Barrier Reef

Oh, another YouTube video, well that solves it... :roll:

This is good news, if true....but I'd like to see a peer review or consensus on Dr. Ridd's research and so far there doesn't appear to be any. Apparently, he's been accused of cherry picking the data from other research papers to draw his conclusion.

Do I trust a random youtube video coughed up by a denier, or consensus among peer-reviewed papers?

It's a conundrum. I mean, if you need a heart valve replaced, who do you go to? The best cardiovascular surgeon at MGH, or your neighbor's landscaper? Decisions, decisions. . .

This is good news, if true....but I'd like to see a peer review or consensus on Dr. Ridd's research and so far there doesn't appear to be any. Apparently, he's been accused of cherry picking the data from other research papers to draw his conclusion.
Actually, Dr. Ridd was not accused of cherry picking, but was accused of and fired from his tenured position for,
questioning if papers claiming the destruction of the Great barrier reef, had supporting evidence?

Don't hold your breath on that the consensus is that he is the devil for saying that the alarmists have been lying and that the reef is fine. So bad was his message, so backed up with evidence and truth, that they had to fire him, the most experienced and best professor on the reef.

He won the court case but then the usual next court has managed to find reasons to overturn the obvious. Case continues.

The coral will move if the current conditions are inhospitable. Reminds me of that time they discovered a previously unknown coral reef at the mouth of the amazon, said they knew little about it and also declared it was dying from global warming. ;)

Yet more footage of Great Barrier dying reef not dying
Jen Marohasy went hunting for bleached coral:
What is the true state of the Great Barrier Reef? … In January 2020, Emmy Award winning cameraman Clint Hempsall, and IPA Senior Fellow Jennifer Marohasy decided to find out. They spent a week exploring the Ribbon Reefs 250kms to the north east of Cairns in search of coral bleaching – the process of corals turning white as a result of warmer water temperature, which climate scientists say is being caused by climate change. Some argue 60% of the coral at the Ribbon Reefs was irretrievably bleached in 2016.
Somewhere among 350,000 square kilometers of coral reef, Jen Marohasy had no trouble finding some happy corals, giant cod, and cute nemo fish.
The IPA and the B. Macfie Family Foundation supports and publishes the video:
Colorful corals of the Great Barrier Reef

Don’t believe your lying eyes. Incandescent light globes are killing the corals one by one, air conditioners cause fish to act reckless, and only more solar panels and windmills can save them. You know it makes sense.
Corals, Great Barrier Reef, Ribbon's Edge, IPA, photo 2020.
Living coral.
Many of the corals grow on vertical formations which are not visible on aerial mapping, which supposedly tells us how much of the reef is bleached. . . .

Half the Corals Dead – But Not in Real Life
October 15, 2020 By jennifer 4 Comments

The claim that half the corals of the Great Barrier Reef are dead is based on a new method using ‘proxies’ (not a direct measure of coral cover), applied to badly cyclone damaged reefs, just after a major coral bleaching event – from which the corals have since recovered.

It has been reported across the world yet again, that the reef is ruin, but none of the publications reporting its demise have bothered to actually send journalists to go and look. They trust the scientists and the journal. Yet Terry Hughes, one of the authors of the new article has been shown time and again to just make stuff up when it comes to the health of individual coral reefs. His research centre (ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies) and the journal that published the most recent article claiming half the coral are dead (London’s Royal Society) have been mired in controversy for years. . . . .

Do I trust a random youtube video coughed up by a denier, or consensus among peer-reviewed papers?

It's a conundrum. I mean, if you need a heart valve replaced, who do you go to? The best cardiovascular surgeon at MGH, or your neighbor's landscaper? Decisions, decisions. . .
The same goes with material found by the faithful to the AGW dogma.

That material if full of misrepresenting the facts, and twisting the truth.

Can't just blindly trust any material for an issue that is contentions. AGW has fallen into then integrity of politics and religion.

Too bad most people on their side trust the pundits, and don't do any fact checking.

The same goes with material found by the faithful to the AGW dogma.

That material if full of misrepresenting the facts, and twisting the truth.

Can't just blindly trust any material for an issue that is contentions. AGW has fallen into then integrity of politics and religion.

Too bad most people on their side trust the pundits, and don't do any fact checking.

It's not blind trust. It's deference to expertise and an aversion to CT. I have no reason to think that thousands of scientists devoted their lives to perpetrating a hoax to get grant money. My MD dad and PHD mom started out working in labs. It ain't lucrative. You get paid a sum and you have to decide how much goes to the project and how much goes to eating dinner.

I'm an expert in appellate law in MA. I want to be deferred to when I say some shit with an explanation about that law. I'll defer to a consensus of scientists until I have a reason much better than you lot throw out (suspicions about money, usually, that don't make sense because if AGW scientists get their way THEY pay more in taxes too). Until then I"m not gonna pretend I know more about stuff that takes decades of training and experience to become an expert on.

It's not blind trust. It's deference to expertise and an aversion to CT. I have no reason to think that thousands of scientists devoted their lives to perpetrating a hoax to get grant money. My MD dad and PHD mom started out working in labs. It ain't lucrative. You get paid a sum and you have to decide how much goes to the project and how much goes to eating dinner.

I'm an expert in appellate law in MA. I want to be deferred to when I say some shit with an explanation about that law. I'll defer to a consensus of scientists until I have a reason much better than you lot throw out (suspicions about money, usually, that don't make sense because if AGW scientists get their way THEY pay more in taxes too). Until then I"m not gonna pretend I know more about stuff that takes decades of training and experience to become an expert on.
You should read the wording of the actual papers vs. what the pundits claim the scientists say in their papers.

Take your law experience and take off your blinders. Remember that "words have meaning." Keep in mind the precision of the words, and alternate meanings of them

In law, you choose to be precise or ambiguous depending on the impression you want to archive. Science is much the same.

Ridd’s speaking tour has been hosted by regional branches of the sugarcane growers peak body, Canegrowers, and the Australian Environment Foundation, a charity set up by the rightwing thinktank the Institute of Public Affairs, with strong links to the agriculture and fossil fuel industries.

Ridd’s speaking tour has been hosted by regional branches of the sugarcane growers peak body, Canegrowers, and the Australian Environment Foundation, a charity set up by the rightwing thinktank the Institute of Public Affairs, with strong links to the agriculture and fossil fuel industries.
Yes, and . . . ?

Back
Top Bottom