• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unthinkable

Your opinion of the scenario? (Read OP)

• No method should be spared, the security of our nation is paramount

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Saving lives is meaningless if we are abandoning all of our values and principles to do it

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • I believe there has to be a happy medium between the above two options

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other opinion (please explain)

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
Like someone said, a man with an opinion.

Can you link to me someone who has permenant damage from a US waterboarding session? thanks./

Perment damage is not the standard by which torture is defined. So, your premise of the question is false.

True, but these are the people who run the program, which gives just a little more weight to their opinion. Once you realize that waterboarding is by definition torture, that SERE training does not recreate the exact situation, and that those who run the program acknowledge that it is torture, the disingenuousness of Presindet Bush's position becomes clear. There is no real or honest debate on this. Waterboarding is torture.

:shrug: I've been through it, while it sucks horribly, I'm ok... I think la terroristas survived as well... Unless you will be forthcoming with links anytime soon, your declaritive statements are moot.

:shrug: I've been through it, while it sucks horribly, I'm ok... I think la terroristas survived as well... Unless you will be forthcoming with links anytime soon, your declaritive statements are moot.

Again, you have the premise wrong. Surviving is not the standard for torture. If you don't suruvue that's homocide.

Dr. Allen Keller, the director of the Bellevue/NYU Program for Survivors of Torture, has treated "a number of people" who had been subjected to forms of near-asphyxiation, including waterboarding. In an interview for The New Yorker, "[He] argued that it was indeed torture, 'Some victims were still traumatized years later', he said. One patient couldn't take showers, and panicked when it rained. 'The fear of being killed is a terrifying experience', he said".[5] Keller also stated in his testimony before the Senate that "water-boarding or mock drowning, where a prisoner is bound to an inclined board and water is poured over their face, inducing a terrifying fear of drowning clearly can result in immediate and long-term health consequences. As the prisoner gags and chokes, the terror of imminent death is pervasive, with all of the physiologic and psychological responses expected, including an intense stress response, manifested by tachycardia (rapid heart beat) and gasping for breath. There is a real risk of death from actually drowning or suffering a heart attack or damage to the lungs from inhalation of water. Long term effects include panic attacks, depression and PTSD. I remind you of the patient I described earlier who would panic and gasp for breath whenever it rained even years after his abuse".[27]

Waterboarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems pretty obvious that waterboarding can cause emotional trauma, but does it threaten a person's physical health?

No doubt about it, says Allen Keller, an associate professor of medicine at New York University School of Medicine (who, it should be noted, testified that waterboarding is a form of torture before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence in 2007). During waterboarding, some of this water can flow through the nostrils and into the lungs, Keller explains. Water in the lungs, especially if it's dirty, can cause potentially deadly pneumonia or pleuritis, an inflammation of the lung lining.

News Blog: Does waterboarding have long-term physical effects?

:lol: weak. So that wait, they might inhale some dirty water and it might be bad for them? Seriously? :lamo

:lol: weak. So that wait, they might inhale some dirty water and it might be bad for them? Seriously? :lamo

Again, you miss the point completely. I suspect you hide that with this silliness. By picking one point, ignoring the rest, you side step the issue. Again, survuvial isn't the point (though it would be interested to how well your lungs handle dirty water). If you don't survive, that's homocide.

Again, you miss the point completely. I suspect you hide that with this silliness. By picking one point, ignoring the rest, you side step the issue. Again, survuvial isn't the point (though it would be interested to how well your lungs handle dirty water). If you don't survive, that's homocide.

How many have died from waterboarding?

How many have died from waterboarding?

Don't know, but again, that would be the definition of homocide, murder, killing and not torture. Torture is not dependent on someone dying.

And if someone got ill, and died of a lung illness later, would it be recorded? Would we know?

But don't skip the first point again. ;)

Back
Top Bottom