• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

University warns against using 'oppressive' language such as ‘picnic,' ‘killing it,’ 'rule of thumb,' and ‘walk-in’

Napoleon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The list is divided into five categories: violent language, identity-based language, language that doesn’t say what we mean, culturally appropriative language, and person-first alternatives.
“Take a shot/stab at,” “trigger warning,” and “go off the reservation” are all on the “violent language” list because they “needlessly use imagery of hurting someone or something.”
Ohhhh the irony. 😂🤣😂

While silly, I don't really see "discouraging" as the same as "warning against." The latter suggests some punishment is involved.

More censorship. What else is new?

I’m looking forward to the day they decide there are no more safe words so it’s sweet silence.
Ooh, then we'll just do jazz hands, which I'm sure will culturally appropriate something.

The link to the university webpage has this pertinent information:

Oppressive Language List

PARC recognizes that language is a powerful tool that can be used to perpetrate and perpetuate oppression. As a community, we can strive to remove language that may hurt those who have experienced violence from our everyday use. These recommendations for more-neutral language are brought forth by students who have been subject to violence or who have worked with others who are healing from violence, as well as students who have sought out advanced training for intervening in potentially violent situations.
This list is meant to be a tool to share information and suggestions about potentially oppressive language. Use of the suggested alternatives is not a university expectation or requirement. The language you choose to use or not use is entirely up to you.

Interesting, I didn't know those phrases had racist origins. I don't mind adjusting my language, but what do we call picnics now? Outdoor culinary adventures?

Interesting, I didn't know those phrases had racist origins. I don't mind adjusting my language, but what do we call picnics now? Outdoor culinary adventures?
A picnic is usually an outdoor lunch. The 'u' in lunch was eventually changed from 'y' due to the common pronunciation ...

So aside from making fun of them and failing to add the University of Chicago's statement against "safe spaces" what is your point?
Some will overreact, that is not the issue, it is about those that ridicule changes, without making any changes
US has a severe race relations/racism problem
And those that turn away are a main part of the issues that need to advance
Arguing over some BS and ignoring the reality is the main problem
They will impede any change.
Will mistakes be made, sure as green apples gives one the shits
The US has a bigger race issue than many will not admit to, or even give some credibility to
Face the facts, as it will take many decades to address the changes needed

A picnic is usually an outdoor lunch. The 'u' in lunch was eventually changed from 'y' due to the common pronunciation ...
It seems that the “possible alternatives” in their list of no-no speech are often the definition of the word rather than the word itself. Because why be concise when you can recite Merriam-Webster?

Here's Identity Based Language: You guys, Ladies and Gentlemen; Policeman, congressman, etc.; Freshman, She/He, Crazy, Insane, Wild, Lame, Long time no see, No can do...

Violent Language: Killing it; take a shot at, take a stab at; Rule of thumb; go off the reservation.

There are other categories just as silly. Anyone who wrote this nonsense ever heard of the notion of "Free Speech?"

Where'd you find picnic? I looked and couldn't.

Some will overreact, that is not the issue, it is about those that ridicule changes, without making any changes
US has a severe race relations/racism problem
And those that turn away are a main part of the issues that need to advance
Arguing over some BS and ignoring the reality is the main problem
They will impede any change.
Will mistakes be made, sure as green apples gives one the shits
The US has a bigger race issue than many will not admit to, or even give some credibility to
Face the facts, as it will take many decades to address the changes needed

Oh no argument there, not with even a tiny speck of any of it.
What I'm getting at is that I place far more value on my actions, which make clear that I am an ally of good manners, generosity, kindness and conferring dignity where needed.
Where I digress is I cannot give myself over to the clutches of the Brothers and Sisters of the Tabernacle of the Permanently Aggrieved and Offended.
I grew up with George Carlin, Mad Magazine, R. Crumb, Zap Comix and Lenny Bruce and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom