• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

University Police Chief suggests hockey pucks for self defense.

PleasantValley

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The snippet;

How do you stop a bad guy with a gun when there's no good guy with a gun around? Maybe throw a hockey puck at him.

A university in suburban Detroit is distributing hockey pucks as a form of self-defense against potential active shooters, according to reports.

Because Oakland University has a no-weapons policy, university police Chief Mark Gordon suggested using a hockey puck to distract a shooter.

"The first thing that came to my mind was a hockey puck. I was a hockey coach for my kids growing up. I remember getting hit in the head with a hockey puck once and it hurt," university police Chief Mark Gordon told Detroit's FOX 2.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hockey-p...nst-potential-shooters-in-michigan-university

OK, while I first dismissed this as silly, I think the damage of getting hit with about 10 to 30 hockey pucks would be like a public stoning. I do not think it would be survivable. Those damned things are heavy.

Now here is why I think it is silly.

1. During active shooter situations everyone RUNS AWAY and does not charge the bad guy with hockey pucks or anything else for that matter.

2. The police chief of the university said the campus was a gun free zone. We all have seen the futility of that policy.

3. How easy would it be to shoot down hockey puck throwers that expose themselves to throw them? Very easy.

4. I can tell just by this silliness the police chief has not ever been in a gunfight against someone else with a gun. It is like me once when I took Tai Chi from an instructor who have once been in a fight. later i took instruction from a retired Naval officer who was once a SEAL. The difference was night and day.

5. No police anywhere use hockey pucks for self defense, yet they want other people to do so? That is just stupid and saying their lives matter more than other people's. They use guns, yet they don't want anyone else to do so.

Let's see if we can keep this from being a Gun Control discussion. I put it under MSM because it is a current story and has nothing to do with impending gun legislation, but instead an alternative method of people defending themselves against an active shooter on campus.

It is a hockey puck vs. 9mm or AR 15 discussion
or
a "why do police recommend ineffective way to defend ourselves while they still use guns"?

Last edited:

:neutral:

:doh

Make. It. Stop.

The snippet;

How do you stop a bad guy with a gun when there's no good guy with a gun around? Maybe throw a hockey puck at him.

A university in suburban Detroit is distributing hockey pucks as a form of self-defense against potential active shooters, according to reports.

Because Oakland University has a no-weapons policy, university police Chief Mark Gordon suggested using a hockey puck to distract a shooter.

"The first thing that came to my mind was a hockey puck. I was a hockey coach for my kids growing up. I remember getting hit in the head with a hockey puck once and it hurt," university police Chief Mark Gordon told Detroit's FOX 2.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/hockey-p...nst-potential-shooters-in-michigan-university

OK, while I first dismissed this as silly, I think the damage of getting hit with about 10 to 30 hockey pucks would be like a public stoning. I do not think it would be survivable. Those damned things are heavy.

1. During active shooter situations everyone RUNS AWAY and does not charge the bad guy with hockey pucks or anything else for that matter.

2. The police chief of the university said the campus was a gun free zone. We all have seen the futility of that policy.

3. How easy would it be to shoot down hockey puck throwers that expose themselves to throw them? Very easy.

4. I can tell just by this silliness the police chief has not ever been in a gunfight against someone else with a gun. It is like me once when I took Tai Chi from an instructor who have once been in a fight. later i took instruction from a retired Naval officer who was once a SEAL. The difference was night and day.

5. No police anywhere use hockey pucks for self defense, yet they want other people to do so? That is just stupid and saying their lives matter more than other people's. They use guns, yet they don't want anyone else to do so.

Let's see if we can keep this from being a Gun Control discussion. I put it under MSM because it is a current story and has nothing to do with impending gun legislation, but instead an alternative method of people defending themselves against an active shooter on campus.

or
a "why do police recommend ineffective way to defend ourselves while they still use guns"?

Average speed of a puck when launched by an NHL players hockey stick is 80-90 mph, with the record being 110.3 mph.

Now place that same puck in a students hand and see how fast it can be launched and with questionable degree of accuracy......once that puck lands on or near a gunman, you have just drawn a lot of unwanted attention to yourself.

Good luck, and may the odds ever be in your favor.

My husband played pro hockey. One of my kids is currently playing for a Division 1 school, and the other is doing prep PG and is already committed to another D1 school. We have hockey pucks all over every orifice in our house. My husband and sons can spin, shoot, and throw pucks better than 99.9% of the population.

I can assure you, no hockey puck can stand up against a gun.

This University chief is obviously doing too many hits of acid in his off time.

The snippet;

This is S.O.P. in Canada. :)

Last edited:
The snippet;

or

You won't believe this, but I knew a guy who was really crazy. He was a coworker for a while, and a childhood friend of one of my buddies. He kind of disappeared for a few years, but then he turned up in the news. He had tried to storm the CIA HQ right off the GW Parkway in McLean, VA. His weapon? A couple of pool balls.

He was committed for a bit. I hope he's still on his meds.

Maybe do what they do in France and pack the bathroom stalls and lock the doors behind them?

I am wondering, if they use the Hockey puck as a weapon, would not it be banned also?

I am wondering, if they use the Hockey puck as a weapon, would not it be banned also?

Nope, the right to carry a puck and stick is protected by the Canadian Constitution.

However, there is some debate over the use of the new carbon fiber sticks.

I am sure they would be if they ever dared hurt a criminal with one.
In some states criminals are a protected species and no citizens are allowed to harm them.
They generate too much business for medical, legal, and law enforcement for them to be harmed....especially repeat offenders. They are their guaranteed cash cow.
That is why in some places citizens face stiff penalties for harming them.

That's some dumb ****, right there.

That's some dumb ****, right there.

That’s okay. I’m told to stand out on my front porch and fire my shotgun anyoldwhere and everything will be fine.

I'd take a hockey stick. It gives you good reach and can slash or hook em.

Myself I prefer to Crosscheck them into the boards face first then immediately apologize.

That’s okay. I’m told to stand out on my front porch and fire my shotgun anyoldwhere and everything will be fine.

The stupidity in that statement, is that firing in the air to scare someone is the same thing as shooting at that person. It could be considered attempted murder. Dumb ass Joe Biden failed to mention that.

The stupidity in that statement, is that firing in the air to scare someone is the same thing as shooting at that person. It could be considered attempted murder. Dumb ass Joe Biden failed to mention that.

Joe was prolly relating to when he was sexually frustrated at his first cousin on the forth of July, but hey. I get a free pass when the Mormons come by.

When they criminalize hockey pucks, only criminals will have hockey pucks.

The snippet;

or

It is an odd statement. Among other things, I'm sure that hockey puck hurt when shot at him with a stick. Probably not as much when tossed by a coed. Perhaps they'd be better off issuing hockey sticks.

I did see one story where a school district put river-stones in a big planter (with an artificial tree) in their classrooms. The thought was that IF a shooter forced their way into a classroom, students could pelt him with the stones. They also made it clear that this was a last resort, and didn't pass them out to students to carry around.

The snippet;

The police chief achieved his goal - he got his name and face into the media.

This is S.O.P. in Canada. :)

Please don't tell anyone. That's our secret weapon - we soak them in Maple Syrup to make them go faster.

Now if the "shooter" has fully automatic weapons, we shower them with Poutine and that really works.

Don't believe me?

Take a look at the number of shooting involving fully automatic weapons in Canada over the past 75 years.

See!

The conclusion is obvious, isn't it!

I think that could probably be handled by the institution of background checks, mandatory waiting periods, licences to carry, and mandatory storage condition requirements.

Of course once you ban hockey pucks then only criminals will have them - right?

Nope, the right to carry a puck and stick is protected by the Canadian Constitution.

However, there is some debate over the use of the new carbon fiber sticks.

I understand that Mr. Trudeau intends to outlaw them in line with Canada's "Carbon Reduction Program".

Mr. Trump, on the other hand, is going to introduce legislation to revitalize the hockey stick mining industry.

No civilian needs a professional grade hockey puck.

Back
Top Bottom