• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

University Police Chief suggests hockey pucks for self defense.

I wonder if the police chief has instructed his officers to throw a gun at a bad guy rather than shoot him?

For those who remember the old Superman TV series it had an interesting intro.
Superman would stand with his hands on his hips facing the bad guys with a gun.
They would shoot him and the bullets would bounce off his chest.
When they ran out of bullets they would throw the pistol at him.
Only this time he would duck. lol

My husband played pro hockey. One of my kids is currently playing for a Division 1 school, and the other is doing prep PG and is already committed to another D1 school. We have hockey pucks all over every orifice in our house. My husband and sons can spin, shoot, and throw pucks better than 99.9% of the population.

I can assure you, no hockey puck can stand up against a gun.

This University chief is obviously doing too many hits of acid in his off time.

Maybe close hand to hand range a hockey puck in a sock would win?

There was a movie where one of the penns in prison defends himself with a soda in a sock.

old school.

I wonder if the police chief has instructed his officers to throw a gun at a bad guy rather than shoot him?

For those who remember the old Superman TV series it had an interesting intro.
Superman would stand with his hands on his hips facing the bad guys with a gun.
They would shoot him and the bullets would bounce off his chest.
When they ran out of bullets they would throw the pistol at him.
Only this time he would duck. lol

CGI was decades in the future!

There was a movie where one of the penns in prison defends himself with a soda in a sock.

old school.

What did the other guy have? Bring a soda-can-in-a-sock to a gunfight, fail!

As an aside; when I was a wee lad, we were taught swimming with diving for pucks, they were quite heavy. Not sure I could throw one effectively and pretty sure I don’t want to be hit with one! :mrgreen:

It is an odd statement. Among other things, I'm sure that hockey puck hurt when shot at him with a stick. Probably not as much when tossed by a coed. Perhaps they'd be better off issuing hockey sticks.

I did see one story where a school district put river-stones in a big planter (with an artificial tree) in their classrooms. The thought was that IF a shooter forced their way into a classroom, students could pelt him with the stones. They also made it clear that this was a last resort, and didn't pass them out to students to carry around.

They tell just that to prison guards. As they are unarmed, they tell them to throw anything and everything at the if they are approached with a shank. Sooner or later you will grab something that will hurt.

But those that apply for a job as a prison guard know they are entering into harms way and are generally trained to deal with it.

Expecting college kids to confront an armed and deranged killer is something no one should have to deal with, and these half-assed measures are just damned stupid.
Shooting the bastid is the only real thing that has ever stopped them.

This foolishness reminds me of one PD telling citizens to use a can of deodorant for protection. It is like, deep down, they do not want any criminals ever to be hurt by citizens and have them in some special protected class.

The police chief achieved his goal - he got his name and face into the media.

" The Hockey Puck Cop" is what he should be called now.
...and you are right, I think he only did this foolishness to gain national exposure.
I am sure there is an agenda behind it all.

Nope, the right to carry a puck and stick is protected by the Canadian Constitution.

However, there is some debate over the use of the new carbon fiber sticks.

It should be protected in Canada. Those people take hockey to a whole nuther level and are veeerry serious about it.

I'd take a hockey stick. It gives you good reach and can slash or hook em.

Myself I prefer to Crosscheck them into the boards face first then immediately apologize.

...frantically looking up "crosscheck".

Please don't tell anyone. That's our secret weapon - we soak them in Maple Syrup to make them go faster.

Now if the "shooter" has fully automatic weapons, we shower them with Poutine and that really works.

Don't believe me?

Take a look at the number of shooting involving fully automatic weapons in Canada over the past 75 years.

See!

The conclusion is obvious, isn't it!

"Cause those Canadian cops never give up.....

Pretty silly thing to recommend. It would be like me using a ski pole as a throwing spear against a person with a gun. I'd die and so would the hockey puck thrower.

It's either that or the F word (the 4 lettered one).

True, but (unlike in the US) you don't have to use "'F'word" in Canada and can actually use it in full in the media and on the Internet.

Mind you, the suggestion does hint that the Police Chief does have a higher than average intelligence because no one of inferior intellect could have made it and an idiotic remark like that almost requires genius.

PS - There was a murder case in BC that was solved when the local radio station stopped referring to the perpetrator as anything other than "The __[fill in the blank]__ Asshole" when asking the public to assist the police by sending in tips as to things that might indicate the killer's identity. Within three days the killer's own family turned him in. Words have power.

Back
Top Bottom