• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Universities sound alarm as coronavirus cases emerge just days into classes — 530 at one campus

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Universities sound alarm as coronavirus cases emerge just days into classes — 530 at one campus

imrs.php

8/25/20
More than 500 cases at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Nearly 160 at the University of Missouri in Columbia. Dozens at the University of Southern California. Colleges and universities that brought students back to campus are expressing alarm about coronavirus infections emerging as classes have barely started, raising the possibility everyone could be sent home. “The rise we’ve seen in recent days is unacceptable, and if unchecked, threatens our ability to complete the rest of the semester on campus,” University of Alabama President Stuart Bell said at a news conference on Monday, as the mayor of Tuscaloosa temporarily closed bars and warned that the local health system could become overwhelmed. While a growing number of schools have backed off reopening, opting instead for online classes, others are hoping a host of new rules and adaptations can keep the coronavirus at bay. Ohio State University said this week that it had suspended 228 students for virus-related violations. Despite the precautions, schools are quickly discovering large outbreaks that have prompted new soul-searching about students’ commitment to social distancing and universities’ ability to deliver even a dramatically transformed on-campus experience.

Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox, who joined Bell at the Monday news conference, said the university had requested his executive order closing bars for two weeks and eliminating bar service at restaurants. He said “the ever-increasing number of coronavirus cases on campus will create two major disruptions for Tuscaloosa if left unabated” — stretching the city’s health system and threatening its economy, which includes thousands of university jobs. Among students, faculty and staff tested across the University of Alabama System, 566 have had positive results for the virus since Aug. 19, according to a dashboard that is being updated. Those numbers do not include “entry testing” conducted to make sure students leave home coronavirus-free. The overwhelming majority of the new cases, 531, are at the flagship campus in Tuscaloosa. Syracuse University published a blistering letter Aug. 20 saying that a “large group of first-year students” would face discipline for an evening quad event that “selfishly jeopardized” the residential experience. The letter warned that they “may have done damage enough to shut down campus, including residence halls and in-person learning, before the academic semester even begins.”

It would appear that many college students lack the self-discipline and requisite maturity to attend a university in the midst of a pandemic. Very selfish individuals.

Schools open during a pandemic.

Schools have to close due to widespread virus outbreak.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
A sense of reality would have seen this coming from miles away.

I can't believe that there are still schools thinking that they can get away without this happening.

First you have to get coronavirus under control and slowed down. We should have been done with that by June 1st but our intrepid leadership decided that we were too good a country to worry about a little flu.

Now we are in a mess and everybody doesn't understand why it won't go away.

imrs.php

It would appear that many college students lack the self-discipline and requisite maturity to attend a university in the midst of a pandemic. Very selfish individuals.

I disagree because I remember being eighteen. They are kids and yet we expect them to act like adults? The world doesn't start to get serious until you have to start paying your own bills.

It is sad to see from the point of an old man.

I disagree because I remember being eighteen. They are kids and yet we expect them to act like [responsible] adults?

I don't think social distancing and wearing a mask in crowds is asking too much of young adults.

It's not like they're at MCRD Parris Island or MCRD San Diego.

I don't think social distancing and wearing a mask in crowds is asking too much of young adults.

It's not like they're at MCRD Parris Island or MCRD San Diego.

Asking college students to pay attention to reality is not too much. Unfortunately for those students who do behave like adults, a few are going to shut down the schools again because they believe what dear leader is spouting.

Close the schools. E-learning.

Yes, the teacher's union is for this

I smell a rat

I'm for keeping my wife and kid safe. I prefer that over kissing the ass of a spray painted fool.

yeah... real "widespread"(LOL)

There are already 7000 cases of Covid on campus since some schools have returned college students to school. It seems that far too many of those kids are going to grow up to be Republicans.

There are already 7000 cases of Covid on campus since some schools have returned college students to school. It seems that far too many of those kids are going to grow up to be Republicans.

7000 cases of Covid

So..........

I'm for keeping my wife and kid safe. I prefer that over kissing the ass of a spray painted fool.

I'm for keeping my wife and kid safe

Does your wife or kid have some sort of pre existing condition?

If not, no worries

Does your wife or kid have some sort of pre existing condition?

If not, no worries

yes. being alive and able to breathe normally, and i'd like to keep it that way. that is much more important to me than kissing a willfully ignorant spray painted orange moron's ass is. unfortunately, our governor feels differently about the situation.

yes. being alive and able to breathe normally, and i'd like to keep it that way. that is much more important to me than kissing a willfully ignorant spray painted orange moron's ass is. unfortunately, our governor feels differently about the situation.

Okay, but they're a minority right?

So, why must everyone else suffer?

Almost 180,000 dead Americans; 4% of the world's population, 20% of the world's infections. What is your interpretation of 'widespread'?

Almost 180,000 dead Americans;

Snake, there's a NORMAL 2 1/2 million Normal deaths in the U.S. every single year

Okay, but they're a minority right?

So, why must everyone else suffer?

you seem to be overly concerned with minorities today. tell Papa Helix all about it. sick it up, and then maybe you'll feel a little better about life. or not.

you seem to be overly concerned with minorities today. tell Papa Helix all about it. sick it up, and then maybe you'll feel a little better about life. or not.

Again, if the majority are not effected why must the majority suffer?

Again, if the majority are not effected why must the majority suffer?

i care about my wife and kid, who are being forced back into school by a Tweety cultist governor when e-learning would suffice. this strategy will almost certainly cause more people to suffer than the alternative strategy would.

i care about my wife and kid, who are being forced back into school by a Tweety cultist governor when e-learning would suffice. this strategy will almost certainly cause more people to suffer than the alternative strategy would.

i care about my wife and kid, who are being forced back into school

No.... no.... and no.....

Most(Majority) parents/kids want to go back to school(Hello)

I know this very well since I work in a school

No.... no.... and no.....

Most(Majority) parents/kids want to go back to school(Hello)

I know this very well since I work in a school

It's stupid to open schools during a pandemic. This is why the king of stupid wants to open schools. I'm not willing to sacrifice my family for stupid.

Back
Top Bottom