• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

universities OF THE USA AR THEY AS GOOD AS OXFORD OR CAMBRIDE

There are many variables, but where you go is definitely influential. You get different opportunities (jobs/internships, that sort of thing) depending on where you go and you also get a different network of people depending on where you go. For example, if you go to Harvard, you will have a lot better set of contacts than if you go to the University of Georgia. Another example is how going great schools helps you in politics. Lets take a lot at where the Presidents in the last 58 years have gone to college: Barack Obama (Columbia/Harvard), George W. Bush (Harvard/Yale), Bill Clinton (Georgetown/Oxford), George H.W. Bush (Yale), Ronald Reagan (Eureka), Jimmy Carter (Naval Academy), Gerald Ford (Michigan), Richard Nixon (Duke), Lyndon B. Johnson (Southwest Texas State), John F. Kennedy (Harvard), and Dwight D. Eisenhower (West Point). Now apart from an unelected President, Ronald Reagan is the only President in the last 58 years to not attend a very presitgious college..

To your first point, I don't know if your assertion is entirely correct. I am computer science, I worked at a computer camp, go to community college, hope to finish at EITHER a state school or a private school. I have had a good number of contacts in the year I started venturing into computer studies, knowing people who worked in various levels of employment at IBM, Microsoft, Apple, even Cray ["The Supercomputer Company"].

And the list seems impressive, but then again, I'm conflicted over whether or not that is actually a sign of the superiority of Ivy League, or just a show of how much control they have, and how well they maintain that control over particular occupations, a control that IMO is but superficial in my education decisions. I always believe it is what you learn, how you learn it, and how well you implement what you learn, not some prestiegous name / face, that makes you valuable as an employee, or worker in X Y or Z field.

Back
Top Bottom