• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

United We Stand... Divided We Fall

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Do you think Trump's policies and rhetoric are doing more to unite our country, or more to divide our country ?. State your case.

Do you think Trump's policies and rhetoric are doing more to unite our country, or more to divide our country ?. State your case.

There is almost no interest in Unity in this country amoungst the leaders, their idea of unity tends to be "You all do it my way and then there wont be any problems".

That being the case I dont have a lot of time for people who are ragging on Trump because he is not a unity driver, as if any leader of any rebellion anywhere ever was.

How could someone who appeals to such division, bigotry, misogyny, arrogance, and bullying be about uniting the country?

Do you think Trump's policies and rhetoric are doing more to unite our country, or more to divide our country ?

President Trump is trying his best to unite the country by insisting that everyone be treated equally.

He is failing because there are many people who do NOT want everyone to be treated equally, for they believe that some people should be given special treatment.

The primary driving force behind the democrat party over the last several years has been the promotion and preservation of democrat power in government and that has led to serious hatred for and attacks against political opponents of the democrat party. These attacks against political opposition have become violent, dishonest, unhealthy, immoral, unethical, and criminal. There can be no peace when the goal of the democrat party is the utter destruction of political opposition.

Here's is a history, thanks to Gallup going back to 1992 on the country being divided.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/197828/record-high-americans-perceive-nation-divided.aspx

As you see during Bill Clinton the percentage of those who think our country is divided rose from 63% to 66%. Only 9-11 brought us together under G.W. Bush, it fell to 24%. It took an external threat to unite us politically. Those who thought we were divided then rose to 65% within 3 years after 9-11. Back to normal politics. Under Obama the percentage of those who thought we were divided rose from 66% to 75% and is now at 77%.

You can see that 88% of Republicans think Trump is doing more to unite the country, 43% of independents go along with that thinking vs. 12% for the Democrats. If you scroll down, you'll find that when we have a Democratic president, Democrats think their president is doing more to united the country, Republicans think the Democratic president is doing more to divide the country and vice versa. Republican president, Democrats state the GOP president is doing more to divide while Republicans say their president is doing more to unite.

This leads me to believe whether a president is trying to unite or divide is purely a partisan thing. I'll add one more thing which I think is adding to the percentage of division. That is our biased media which has taken sides in our political battles. They no longer report on them, they've taken sides and give the news according to their slants or even political agenda. This is especially true with the three cable news networks. Nationally 64% state the media is the reason for the divisions or causing the division, 56% say Trump. There is a huge difference by party. 80% of republicans say the media is the cause for the division vs. 25% saying Trump. Democrats, 46% say the media, 88% Trump. Independents 67% say the media, 54% Trump. Again, purely partisan on this subject.

https://morningconsult.com/2018/11/01/more-voters-say-press-has-divided-country-than-trump/

Here's is a history, thanks to Gallup going back to 1992 on the country being divided.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/197828/record-high-americans-perceive-nation-divided.aspx

As you see during Bill Clinton the percentage of those who think our country is divided rose from 63% to 66%. Only 9-11 brought us together under G.W. Bush, it fell to 24%. It took an external threat to unite us politically. Those who thought we were divided then rose to 65% within 3 years after 9-11. Back to normal politics. Under Obama the percentage of those who thought we were divided rose from 66% to 75% and is now at 77%.

You can see that 88% of Republicans think Trump is doing more to unite the country, 43% of independents go along with that thinking vs. 12% for the Democrats. If you scroll down, you'll find that when we have a Democratic president, Democrats think their president is doing more to united the country, Republicans think the Democratic president is doing more to divide the country and vice versa. Republican president, Democrats state the GOP president is doing more to divide while Republicans say their president is doing more to unite.

This leads me to believe whether a president is trying to unite or divide is purely a partisan thing. I'll add one more thing which I think is adding to the percentage of division. That is our biased media which has taken sides in our political battles. They no longer report on them, they've taken sides and give the news according to their slants or even political agenda. This is especially true with the three cable news networks. Nationally 64% state the media is the reason for the divisions or causing the division, 56% say Trump. There is a huge difference by party. 80% of republicans say the media is the cause for the division vs. 25% saying Trump. Democrats, 46% say the media, 88% Trump. Independents 67% say the media, 54% Trump. Again, purely partisan on this subject.

https://morningconsult.com/2018/11/01/more-voters-say-press-has-divided-country-than-trump/

The media being what it is, a business out to make money, embellishes things for ratings. With that said people still have brains that work, some people. Let's look at the past administrations. As a registered democrat, I didn't really have any problems with Bush senior, thought he was a decent president for the time. Then we had clinton who I also thought was a decent president who the right hated. They hated him so much they impeached him for lying about a blow job but think nothing of president trump lying ten times a day. Then we had the W administration with two of the most evil people in politics in very high positions, Rumsfeld and Cheney and the three of them with the help of colin powell lied america into Iraq and then crashed the economy before leaving office. With that said both Cheney and Bush were so toxic by the end they didn't attend the GOP national convention, they weren't wanted. But, how dare the left criticize the president the right elected twice? Well once really the supreme court gave him one. Nothing but hatred from the right if W was criticised. Then we had Obama who the right insanely hated for eight years. No real controversies, no fooling around on his wife, no ***** grabbing and did a great job on the recovery of the economy but somehow the guy who wasn't born here was the worst president in history which leads us to our current president who the right defends so vehemently and what's with all the trump haters, he's trying to unite the country.

I want to live in la la land too but they won't let me in.

I'm going to say this country has been divided and that trend continues to worsen. If the great uniter, Prince Obama couldn't bring us together, no one can. ;)

How could someone who appeals to such division, bigotry, misogyny, arrogance, and bullying be about uniting the country?

Let me guess: you only want unity when things are going your way?

I'm going to say this country has been divided and that trend continues to worsen. If the great uniter, Prince Obama couldn't bring us together, no one can. ;)

the issue is identity politics and those that want to remain in power continue to find new people to split off into special groups.
People have rights and that is all that should exist you get the same rights as other people. the issue today is that we have to have special cookies that
think they get more rights than other people.

Let me guess: you only want unity when things are going your way?

I've said no such thing.

I only offered what Trump seems to stand for and further offered it is impossible to suggest those things promote unity.

I've said no such thing.

I only offered what Trump seems to stand for and further offered it is impossible to suggest those things promote unity.

Not directly, no. That's what you mean, though.

The media being what it is, a business out to make money, embellishes things for ratings. With that said people still have brains that work, some people. Let's look at the past administrations. As a registered democrat, I didn't really have any problems with Bush senior, thought he was a decent president for the time. Then we had clinton who I also thought was a decent president who the right hated. They hated him so much they impeached him for lying about a blow job but think nothing of president trump lying ten times a day. Then we had the W administration with two of the most evil people in politics in very high positions, Rumsfeld and Cheney and the three of them with the help of colin powell lied america into Iraq and then crashed the economy before leaving office. With that said both Cheney and Bush were so toxic by the end they didn't attend the GOP national convention, they weren't wanted. But, how dare the left criticize the president the right elected twice? Well once really the supreme court gave him one. Nothing but hatred from the right if W was criticised. Then we had Obama who the right insanely hated for eight years. No real controversies, no fooling around on his wife, no ***** grabbing and did a great job on the recovery of the economy but somehow the guy who wasn't born here was the worst president in history which leads us to our current president who the right defends so vehemently and what's with all the trump haters, he's trying to unite the country.

I want to live in la la land too but they won't let me in.

Yes, the news networks are in the news business to make money. They give the viewers they have the news in the way their viewership wants it. The idea is to keep your viewership happy and returning, while you try to add more viewers. The more viewers, the more money you can charge for commercials and the higher profits you make. It doesn't take a rocket scientists to figure out CNN and MSNBC is high anti Trump, Fox pro Trump. there isn't even any attempt to hide their biases anymore.

Can the people figure out the biased on cable news? Perhaps some. Trust in the media of those who have a great deal or a fair amount of trust in the media to report the news fully, fairly and accurately is at 32% nationwide. That is down from 72% in 1976, in the low 50's during Clinton and the first 5 years of G.W. Bush. It has fallen from 43% down to 32% during Obama.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/195542/americans-trust-mass-media-sinks-new-low.aspx

You can also see the partisan divide, 51% of Democrats trust the media either a great deal or a fair amount to report the news fully, fairly and accurately. Independents on in the middle on this at 30% and Republican vitually have no trust at all, come in at 14%. Like most things today, very partisan.

There is almost no interest in Unity in this country amoungst the leaders, their idea of unity tends to be "You all do it my way and then there wont be any problems".

That being the case I dont have a lot of time for people who are ragging on Trump because he is not a unity driver, as if any leader of any rebellion anywhere ever was.

But during the election Trump said he would unite the country but everything he does is to satisfy his base. Sometimes a REAL leader has to do the hard things and do what is best for the country rather than just himself or just those who vote for him.

There has not been one as divisive as Trump. That being said, unity has not been the goal of the Republocrats for some time. Division, hyperpartisanship, and political propaganda has been the ploy. The Republocrats figured out that if they can divide the People, polarize them into one of their two branches, that the People will stop thinking and react emotionally instead. It cements Republocrat rule in the Republic. So while Trump is the most divisive political figure in recent history, he is not the cause of the divisiveness that inflicts the People. He merely has used it, and driven the wedge deeper than ever.

Trump is not really a "leader of a rebellion". He's just a rich corporatist that jumped from the Corporate to the State side of the Corporate-State. There's no rebellion there, just status quo unleashed.

You have to go back to someone like Reagan to find a leader who really worked hard on unifying the People.

Last edited:

I'm of the opinion there is diminishing interest in the idea of "unity" among the rank and file of the U.S. populace. What amounts to the "political class" in this country is simply trying to get ahead of this growing problem and turn it to their advantage.

I'm of the opinion there is diminishing interest in the idea of "unity" among the rank and file of the U.S. populace. What amounts to the "political class" in this country is simply trying to get ahead of this growing problem and turn it to their advantage.

We are getting stupider all around.....

There is actually science proving that we are getting stupider.....

Back
Top Bottom