• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

United States, Russia, and China versus the world

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
You'd think the US would be a leader at a global response to the virus. Most of the time in our history, you'd be right. Now, the United States, Russia and China are the three leading nations who have refused to take part in the UN's global effort on a Coronavirus vaccine.

They're also hoarding the components for a vaccine, preventing the rest of the world from having a share.

UN Secretary General: "#COVID19 is a clear test of international cooperation – a test we are failing so far."

It is morally shameful. Any idea the US has had about its being a meritorious leader in the world, rather than arrogant and selfish with its power, is gone for the current government.

You'd think the US would be a leader at a global response to the virus. Most of the time in our history, you'd be right. Now, the United States, Russia and China are the three leading nations who have refused to take part in the UN's global effort on a Coronavirus vaccine.

They're also hoarding the components for a vaccine, preventing the rest of the world from having a share.

UN Secretary General: "#COVID19 is a clear test of international cooperation – a test we are failing so far."

It is morally shameful. Any idea the US has had about its being a meritorious leader in the world, rather than arrogant and selfish with its power, is gone for the current government.

Indeed; witness Trump's idiotic and entirely selfish idea that buying all of Germany's stocks of a vaccine, no doubt to sell it on to the highest bidder, was a good plan. The idiot still thinks in terms of 'deals'. Germany politely told him to piss off.
Almost singlehandedly Trump has managed to destroy all trust in, and faith and affection for, America. It's going to take a while to restore all that internationally, and the only sure way of doing so is to vote the destructive moron out of the job he is clearly incapable of doing.

"International cooperation"

Translation: "Hey guys, give me some of that money, eh?"

I have a better solution...

Some small country volunteer their citizens to be our test subjects. If they survive, they can have the vaccine for free.

"International cooperation"

Translation: "Hey guys, give me some of that money, eh?"

I have a better solution...

Some small country volunteer their citizens to be our test subjects. If they survive, they can have the vaccine for free.
Any developed vaccine should be available free of charge for all, irrespective of their status. You clearly have no idea what cooperation means; just as in WW2 you refused to help out unless you were paid in advance, in cash. Screw your venal, 'me first' pathetic excuse for a nation. Your post is ignorant beyond description.

Any developed vaccine should be available free of charge for all, irrespective of their status. You clearly have no idea what cooperation means; just as in WW2 you refused to help out unless you were paid in advance, in cash. Screw your venal, 'me first' pathetic excuse for a nation. Your post is ignorant beyond description.
(see my sig)

Sorry I don't speak Afrikaans.
It's an acronym. Not Afrikaans.

Seriously...do you NOT know what TANSTAAFL means? Do you need me to spell out each word for you?

It's a media, and all whomever else say, misnomer to call our current president the leader of the free world when He has clearly withdrawn from the world with His Amexit strategy and abandoned the position, once a proud position of leadership and the kind of responsibility that Trump refuses to accept, repeatedly so on record.

It's a media, and all whomever else say, misnomer to call our current president the leader of the free world when He has clearly withdrawn from the world with His Amexit strategy and abandoned the position, once a proud position of leadership and the kind of responsibility that Trump refuses to accept, repeatedly so on record.

It seems trump has trashed the US, pleasing Putin, who he wants things from in the future. Putin's investment in trump, including his giving trump a $50 million windfall buying a property trump flipped, has paid off enormously. It's hard to tell how much Putin is his motive, but it seems a large part.

The likely difference between the actions of the US and Russia/China should they be the one to develop an effective vaccine is that
  1. the US government would take all possible actions to protect the intellectual property rights of the developer of the vaccine in order to ensure that that developer achieves the highest profits possible from the distribution of the vaccine;

and

2. the Russian or Chinese governments would take all possible actions to ensure that their country would receive the greatest possible long-term benefit from the distribution of the vaccine.

In short, the US government would likely work to enrich individuals while the Russian or Chinese governments would likely work to enrich the country.

It seems trump has trashed the US, pleasing Putin, who he wants things from in the future. Putin's investment in trump, including his giving trump a $50 million windfall buying a property trump flipped, has paid off enormously. It's hard to tell how much Putin is his motive, but it seems a large part.

Putin gets ROI from America the nation for Russia the nation and his own political power. Trump is hoping to get return on what He invested America in for his own personal gain. He ain't got it yet, beyond that $50M that is not what Trump is looking for.

Putin gets ROI from America the nation for Russia the nation and his own political power. Trump is hoping to get return on what He invested America in for his own personal gain. He ain't got it yet, beyond that $50M that is not what Trump is looking for.

Right, trump is hoping to get personal gain by selling out the US - what are you saying is not what trump is looking for.

Right, trump is hoping to get personal gain by selling out the US - what are you saying is not what trump is looking for.

Thanks for the catch. Poor wording had me contradict myself. I meant to say Trump is looking for much more than just that $50M. That $50M isn't what He's looking for so much as a whole lot more. Like a Trump tower in Moscow with Putin in the penthouse.

Thanks for the catch. Poor wording had me contradict myself. I meant to say Trump is looking for much more than just that $50M. That $50M isn't what He's looking for so much as a whole lot more. Like a Trump tower in Moscow with Putin in the penthouse.

Oh, I agree. The $50 million is simply a fact we know about, and remarkable itself, but hardly the whole story.

Back
Top Bottom