• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

United States is not a country, and the business.

Tovarish

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Remember the movie "Killing Them Softly" with Brad Pitt? You support his philosophy of life?

Brad Pitt is an idiot. And I really dont care what movie role he has played and what that characters point of view is.

Brad Pitt is an idiot. And I really dont care what movie role he has played and what that characters point of view is.

He plays a cynical assassin. So the OP is asking whether the rest of the USA thinks like Pit's role of a cynical assassin. Out of all the roles from all the actors out there.

It's a movie. If you build a life philosophy out of anything that comes out of holywood and holywood actors, you're a dumbass.

Even that movie called "fight club" hailed by all manner of losers as being so real and stuff... it's a piece of crap.

Anything that comes out of holywood is venom if you take it past mere entertainment. As entertainment, most is crap, some is decent and a few is good.
And this is crap.

To clarify: I'm not saying that if holywood says something is venom. Holywood can take the ideas of smart people (who are not part of holywood or holywood culture), and like parasites, abuse them and use them. But anything holywood makes up by itself, is venom. And stupid.

Remember the movie "Killing Them Softly" with Brad Pitt? You support his philosophy of life?

ummm.....

I hate to be the one who has to tell you, but life rarely really resembles that which you see in works of fiction...especially Hollywood fiction.

It's a movie. If you build a life philosophy out of anything that comes out of holywood and holywood actors, you're a dumbass.

Even that movie called "fight club" hailed by all manner of losers as being so real and stuff... it's a piece of crap.

Anything that comes out of holywood is venom if you take it past mere entertainment. As entertainment, most is crap, some is decent and a few is good.
And this is crap.

To clarify: I'm not saying that if holywood says something is venom. Holywood can take the ideas of smart people (who are not part of holywood or holywood culture), and like parasites, abuse them and use them. But anything holywood makes up by itself, is venom. And stupid.

Did you intentionally say Holywood instead of Hollywood?

Did you intentionally say Holywood instead of Hollywood?

No... I made a bigger mistake. I should have used crappywood. Or parasitewood. Or retardwood. Something along those lines.

LOL. That's the dumbest thing I've heard of "I'm living in America . . . and America's not a country, it's just a business."

Okay, then. That's not a philosophy, that's just gibberish so he can demand money.

LOL. That's the dumbest thing I've heard of "I'm living in America . . . and America's not a country, it's just a business."

Okay, then. That's not a philosophy, that's just gibberish so he can demand money.

Yeah but you know assassins, it could also mean anything. My point is why generalize at all to being with to the rest of the population from an: assassin, role, actor, and lastly one single person.

Yeah but you know assassins, it could also mean anything. My point is why generalize at all to being with to the rest of the population from an: assassin, role, actor, and lastly one single person.

It's a movie and the script writer thought he was being clever.

"You talkin'to me"?
"You talkin to me"?
"Talking to me"?
"I'm the only one here."
"You talkin to me"?

I find some of the answers in this thread unrealistically extreme. It's surely not the case, for example, that any organization or society, no matter how corrupt or puerile, manages to homogenously produce crap all the time. Similarly, even if Brad Pitt is an idiot, or whether or not he's playing a cynical assassin, the character may still be making a valid point.

Fiction of any kind is automatically assumed to be composed of a bunch of lies. The relevant question is whether those lies mirror some piece of the truth. In this case, I do not believe the situation is quite as extreme as the cut-throat world presented in Killing Them Softly (there is a difference, after all, between putting someone out of business and blowing their head open with a shotgun). However, the movie had to have begun to be made shortly after Obama's election in 2008 (if it came out in 2012, it's a good bet the script was written in 2009). It is presented as a rebuttal to Obama's rhetoric.

I agree with the idea somewhat. I'm skeptical that we have a genuine nation any longer (for reasons other than this movie). However, I also don't think we have, quite yet, a fully competetive group of political units. What I mean is this: the people of the west coast do not treat the people of, say, the midwest in the same way that Russia and Japan treat each other. If I travel from the midwest to New England, the people I meet still recognize me as an American, as they also recognize themselves.

There is nevertheless a clear theme of competition in this country which seems to have veered out of balance. I think this is the underlying theme of the movie, which presents a metaphorical picture of where that notion, if it continues to be held as sacred, will take us.

Why all express their attitude to cinema, Hollywood and Brad Pitt? Fragment cinema - an illustration of the philosophy of selfishness. Character to spit on people,on country .... His only care about money. Brad Pitt's character - they are American corporations and the wealthiest 1%. Or not? (I know. that Hollywood is not real life. At the movies - Рамbо, in life - Lieutenant William Kelly). Heh-heh.

I thought "Fight Club" was a satire on machismo?

Well.... sort of. It really didn't tackle gender roles in that movie though you can make that argument. And the guys weren't really a macho stereotype as much as they were just guys. You even had the guy with the tits that became a hero... not really the macho symbol. You can make that argument for Brad Pitt, but Brad Pitt isn't all the movie. The thing that a lot of people take it from it is that we're too... enveloped in other things to realize who we are ourselves and what we want. And about the whole release from our self-imposed constraints and regulations and that makes us unhappy while release from those constraints makes us happy.

That famous speech you see copy pasted around meme's. The one with: "We work all day to buy **** that we don't need".

Well.... sort of. It really didn't tackle gender roles in that movie though you can make that argument. And the guys weren't really a macho stereotype as much as they were just guys. You even had the guy with the tits that became a hero... not really the macho symbol. You can make that argument for Brad Pitt, but Brad Pitt isn't all the movie.

It's been a long time since I've seen it, and maybe I didn't put enough thought into it, but back then I thought that line by Pitt/Norton was a key: "We are a generation of men raised by women. Do you really think another woman is the answer to our problems?" -- so basically angry boys who had been forced into female civilization and domestication, who broke out and behaved like brute neanderthals. That's where I got the "satire" notion from.

The thing that a lot of people take it from it is that we're too... enveloped in other things to realize who we are ourselves and what we want. And about the whole release from our self-imposed constraints and regulations and that makes us unhappy while release from those constraints makes us happy.

Yes, at first it seems so ... but isn't the message in the end that this is not possible, because when you try, you'll end up with a messed up split personality and a bullethole in your head, destroying the entire civilization, and that even the attempt at doing so is futile and silly to begin with?

I guess I have to watch it again. :)

It's been a long time since I've seen it, and maybe I didn't put enough thought into it, but back then I thought that line by Pitt/Norton was a key: "We are a generation of men raised by women. Do you really think another woman is the answer to our problems?" -- so basically angry boys who had been forced into female civilization and domestication, who broke out and behaved like brute neanderthals. That's where I got the "satire" notion from.

Well, yeah, that's true. But I still think the major plotline was the one i will say below.
Yes, at first it seems so ... but isn't the message in the end that this is not possible, because when you try, you'll end up with a messed up split personality and a bullethole in your head, destroying the entire civilization, and that even the attempt at doing so is futile and silly to begin with?

I guess I have to watch it again. :)

That's the whole point. We destroy this "civilization" that entangles us. The ultimate desire is to destroy the "vanity" of mankind in order to rediscover ourselves (that's what the blowing up part was about at the end). We isolate ourselves with our technology and the only way to rediscover our inner selves is by freeing ourselves from all these inhibitations, which were made by us to begin with.

Needless to say, while I do find the theme of the movie interesting, and don't see it as just another movie about fights, I don't agree with it completely or a lot..

I'm surprised that skit isn't in the Top 10 Best list of the Libertarians. ;)

PS
I don't think like Brad Pitt's character but I've seen plenty who do.

Back
Top Bottom