• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

United Passenger Dragged From Overbooked Flight

Nope, that's a misreading by dailykos, you probably should avoid that rag, it's full of fail.

Can an Airline Really Just Yank You Off the Plane?

That's not misreading. The rule United cited as the reason why they removed the man from the plane does not apply, since he was already on the plane to begin with.

Like TD mentioned earlier, what happened here is a clear breach of contract.

Last edited:
False.
The Captain of the jet has absolute authority on the plane.
In this case, we have the Police as well.
NO case.
bye

my opinion of how it should be is in no way false, thanks.

Once he was boarded, yes the Captain can ask him to leave, but he has to have a legal reason to violate Contract of Carriage.
No such reason existed!

FLY RIGHT as per the Government says they can if all other avenues fail. WRONG again.

FLY RIGHT as per the Government says they can if all other avenues fail. WRONG again.

well then I guess we need to vote with our dollars and change some things.

my opinion of how it should be is in no way false, thanks.
Your "opinion", aka, "claim" was False.
Your attempt at a semantic out Failed too.
DP middle school closed for now.
bye

That's not misreading. The man had already boarded the plane. Therefore, the rule United cited as the reason why they removed the man from the plane does not apply, since he was already on the plane.

That's nice, doesn't matter, they can bump you anyway.

"legitimate authority" is only what the current "authority" makes it, so no, we are going to go by the legitimate concern that IF you take my money you are going to provide a service to me and IF you decide you must waive that service you are going to pay until I Am satisfied that the inconvenience is worth it... you are not going to force me to give up the service my hard earned money paid for ANY other way.
No. We are going to go by the laws established through democratically elected legislatures and not the rules you make up on the spot to suit just yourself.

bye

I made no claim except to say that it was how I believe the situation should work and therefore it gives me a negative opinion of UA.

obviously they don't do it the way I described now... ask the guy that got thrown off the plane.

United passenger traded drugs for gay sex with patient | Daily Mail Online

The troubled past of the doctor who was dragged off United Airlines in an incident which has plunged the company into crisis is revealed - including his felony conviction and need for 'anger management'.

I had assumed the guy was acting goofy after the incident due to hitting his head on the armrest... I would bet the chances are that he was high before the plane even took off.

No. We are going to go by the laws established through democratically elected legislatures and not the rules you make up on the spot to suit just yourself.

ok. i'll be interested to see how much this hurts UA's bottom line , and how much the guy in question gets in settlement.

Not his plane.

So? His passage was governed by a contract which to all appearances he completely complied with and, given my reading, did not give UAL any justification to remove him.

You cannot simply remove a tenant in violation of lease agreement can you? This is no different.

Whether or not the semantical arguments have merit one way or the other, is really of no consequence. What matters is how much this guy will get in the settlement, and even more, how much damage UA has done to their future ticket sales, if there are other airlines going to the same destinations....So far they are not handling this very well from a PR perspective.

So? His passage was governed by a contract which to all appearances he completely complied with and, given my reading, did not give UAL any justification to remove him.

You cannot simply remove a tenant in violation of lease agreement can you? This is no different.

You're misreading it, there is FFA Rules that supercede and Allow the carrier to remove you if all other options fail.
Welcome to reality.

You're misreading it, there is FFA Rules that supercede and Allow the carrier to remove you if all other options fail.
Welcome to reality.

and that seems reasonable to you?

Welcome to reality.

I hold FAA Commercial and Flight Instructor Certificates. I have a current copy of the FARs sitting on my desk. What rule are you speaking about because I know of no rule that gives the crew the authority to remove a passenger who is complying with the contract and who does not represent a potential safety of flight risk in the view of the flight crew.

bye

Opinions by their nature can be informed, or misinformed, but cna not be true, or false, since they are opinions.

You, OTOH, make factual statements (like that there is outright case), which you need to prove - burden of proof.

I hold FAA Commercial and Flight Instructor Certificates. I have a current copy of the FARs sitting on my desk. What rule are you speaking about because I know of no rule that gives the crew the authority to remove a passenger who is complying with the contract and who does not represent a potential safety of flight risk in the view of the flight crew.
with those credentials, it's surprising you don't know the basics.
Aviation Attorney Questions United Passenger’s Forcible Removal - CBS Denver

"..Certainly you can be involuntarily bumped,“ aviation attorney Joseph LoRusso told CBS4’s Kelly Werthmann. “Can you be forcibly removed in a situation like this? That’s where we get into a bit of a gray area.”

LoRusso said federal law Allows airlines to Involuntarily Remove passengers from overbooked flights, with compensation. Passengers have the right to refuse, LoRusso added, but if a person does not comply with airline instructions, federal law Does permit the airline to ask authorities to Remove the passenger from the plane.
....​

EDIT:
Gamover, pt 14

Last edited:
with those credentials, it's surprising you don't know the basics.
Aviation Attorney Questions United Passenger’s Forcible Removal - CBS Denver

"..Certainly you can be involuntarily bumped,“ aviation attorney Joseph LoRusso told CBS4’s Kelly Werthmann. “Can you be forcibly removed in a situation like this? That’s where we get into a bit of a gray area.”

LoRusso said federal law Allows airlines to Involuntarily Remove passengers from overbooked flights, with compensation. Passengers have the right to refuse, LoRusso added, but if a person does not comply with airline instructions, federal law Does permit the airline to ask authorities to Remove the passenger from the plane.
....​

You are conflating the PIC's authority under the FARs with the contract under which the ticket is sold. They aren't the same thing. "Bumping" him was done under the terms of the contract and has nothing to do with the PICs authority to remove a person who he determines may represent a flight risk. The FARs give the PIC pretty much unlimited authority to deviate from the regs with respect to the safe operation of the aircraft - subject to all manner of second guessing once you're back on the ground. This was not a safety of flight issue and I'm guessing the Captain was likely not the decision maker.

Last edited:
I made no claim except to say that it was how I believe the situation should work and therefore it gives me a negative opinion of UA.

obviously they don't do it the way I described now... ask the guy that got thrown off the plane.
Pure Lie.
You said
""legitimate authority" is only what the current "authority" makes it, so no..."​

That's a Claim, and a FALSE one.
"legitimate authority" is written in law/airline practice.
Passengers can be legitimately removed after boarding. Period.

You can later say your CLAIM of 2+2=5 was an "opinion," but it was, and remains a false Claim.

Funny how many posters will do anything to avoid the Pure... 'Wrong'

Last edited:
absolutely. They did make offers for volunteers and no one took it. They just needed to keep sweetening the pot.

Exactly...My sister, and brother in law, were 'bumped' twice several years ago while going on vacation to Jamaica, And they made $3,000 in the process...They were booked on the later flight which got there there, and home approximately 12 hrs late each way, so, they made about $125 an hour for their collective delay while on vacation....Not bad....

Airliner rules are diff than cherokee pilots.

"Not enough seating, prepare for a beating. "

Back
Top Bottom