• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

United Ireland

PeteEU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Kinda odd no one posted this one. But there was an election in Northern Ireland and the Unionists lost big time. This means that the chance of a united Ireland is bigger than ever, as the Unionists cant block legislation leading to such an event. Add to that, Brexit and just maybe there is a good chance of an United Ireland.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ted-ireland-credible-inevitable-a7615756.html
[FONT=&quot]In the Republic of Ireland, a recent poll found 65 per cent of people would back a United Ireland in a referendum. Across the South, student unions have passed or proposed motions backing reunification. In a sign that the issue is not just a flash in the pan, or the exaggerated opinions of a few vocal activists, the Irish Taoiseach Enda Kenny has announced that the UK’s Brexit plans must include a contingency plan for a United Ireland.[/FONT]

One has to wonder if it is possible.

Kinda odd no one posted this one. But there was an election in Northern Ireland and the Unionists lost big time. This means that the chance of a united Ireland is bigger than ever, as the Unionists cant block legislation leading to such an event. Add to that, Brexit and just maybe there is a good chance of an United Ireland.

For the first time in my life, the prospect of a united Ireland is not only credible but inevitable | The Independent

It's possible much as a Free Catalonia is an interesting concept.

Scotland will follow. One day Wales, perhaps.

~ One has to wonder if it is possible.

I wandered this too. Northern Ireland, like Gibraltar will need a very different deal and will find it hard to work around the imposed borders that Brexit may bring.

I can see black market smuggling taking off big time otherwise if a hard border has to be operated.

For the first time in my life, the prospect of a united Ireland is not only credible but inevitable | The Independent

I'm Irish. I'm prejudiced. I want England booted from Ireland. England created an apartheid state and caused misery and death. Even united, I would expect it to take 50 years to find normalcy. Too much hatred. Close to racism. Religion and war, as well. Dumb.

I mean if they want to team up with the former " Celtic Tiger" now more of a dead kitten then yes go for it. As an Englishman I'm bored of hearing the rest of the UK moaning about being part of us. But if they leave then they give up our currency, give up our passports etc. I don't want any of this currency sharing nonsense that the SNP tried to push through.

I mean if they want to team up with the former " Celtic Tiger" now more of a dead kitten then yes go for it. As an Englishman I'm bored of hearing the rest of the UK moaning about being part of us. But if they leave then they give up our currency, give up our passports etc. I don't want any of this currency sharing nonsense that the SNP tried to push through.

I understand your view however it is much more complicated than that. If you think the UK vs EU situation is complicated, then the Ireland vs UK is much worse because here we also have the issue of families (several generations)... something like 30+% of British people have familiar links to Ireland. Then there is the massive investment by the UK in Ireland, that almost brought the UK to its knees when Ireland went belly up. Add to that the sectarian religious bs of Northern Ireland and you have a serious problem that is not easy to solve to the satisfaction of both sides.

This whole situation could be the most important part (for the UK as a whole) of the whole Brexit situation as it can be the spark of the end of the UK as we know it today.

Looks like after leaving the EU, the UK may be getting ready to kick England out and rejoin. Teh lulz!

I'm Irish. I'm prejudiced. I want England booted from Ireland. England created an apartheid state and caused misery and death. Even united, I would expect it to take 50 years to find normalcy. Too much hatred. Close to racism. Religion and war, as well. Dumb.
Longer than 50 years.

It's been 200 years since the civil war in the US.

My sentiments exactly! My grandmother left in 1920, her brothers fought the English. They starved the Irish, and made life horrible.

Im part Irish too, but the Swedish side of me says forget about the English and bash the Danes instead. :mrgreen:

My sentiments exactly! My grandmother left in 1920, her brothers fought the English. They starved the Irish, and made life horrible.

Ooh! Aah! Up the RA!

There's a lot that needs to be forgotten, for sure. Can't happen in one generation.

Im part Irish too, but the Swedish side of me says forget about the English and bash the Danes instead. :mrgreen:

I like to pick on the Faroese..

I like to pick on the Faroese..

:thumbs: Great idea! It would certainly cut down on arguments between countries, since hardly anyone understands that ancient language these days - except politicians worldwide, of course, who have all apparently adopted it as their second language. Odd how a very old Icelandic language would become so popular in politics today ... :lamo

In other words, you want to drive the Protestants out of Ireland.

That is not a natural consequence of uniting Ireland at all.

Regardless, from what I have seen of late the NI protestants would benefit from sharing some space with some more liberal politics.

No... I could care less about that issue... it is beyond idiotic.

Ooh! Aah! Up the RA!

So you support the IRA? An organization that spent decades killing innocent men, women and children? Planting nail bombs in busy high streets....

:thumbs: Great idea! It would certainly cut down on arguments between countries, since hardly anyone understands that ancient language these days - except politicians worldwide, of course, who have all apparently adopted it as their second language. Odd how a very old Icelandic language would become so popular in politics today ... :lamo
Faroese isn't Icelandic, it's Old West Norse. Where both Icelandic and Faroese derive from that, they're not mutually intelligible when spoken but writing is a different matter.

I love how these threads bring out the 'bash the English' crowd, Pete et al....and all the faux Irish! Hell, there's more Americans claiming to be Irish, than the Irish themselves :roll:

I love how these threads bring out the 'bash the English' crowd, Pete et al....and all the faux Irish! Hell, there's more Americans claiming to be Irish, than the Irish themselves :roll:

And yet Pete is against Catalonia breaking away from Spain...Go figure

Back
Top Bottom