• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unions withdrawing funds from "unethical" banks

This would imply the existence of an ethical bank. ;)

St. Louis Union Withdraws $100,000 From 'Unethical' Bank Of America

This particular report is about a specific union, but I have read of this happening with other unions on the East coast. I think this is a great move, using money effectively to put pressure on banks to be more reform-friendly.

Sounds similiar to the Alinksy style tactics of busing in thousands of people to all open a $1 savings account, and thus effectively shutting down a bank branch for the day.

I think the response from BOA adaquatly explained what was really going on, and it seems the union is just out of touch with reality.

Sounds similiar to the Alinksy style tactics of busing in thousands of people to all open a $1 savings account, and thus effectively shutting down a bank branch for the day.

I think the response from BOA adaquatly explained what was really going on, and it seems the union is just out of touch with reality.
Isnt it part of Capitalism to be able to choose who one does business with? Why criticize the unions for doing this when it's a virtue extolled by free-market advocates

Isnt it part of Capitalism to be able to choose who one does business with? Why criticize the unions for doing this when it's a virtue extolled by free-market advocates

It is fine for the union to do whatever they want with their money.

What may be problematic is potentially libelling the bank by calling it unethical.

I would like BAC to sue the union for libel and see what happens. It would cost the union more than their 100K to defend their statement. Maybe teach others to be careful using offensive language.

I have no problem with them withdrawing their money, they can do whatever they want with their money. As Washunut mentioned, the problem is their accompanying statment which seems to be less than accurate.

It sounds to me like a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Back
Top Bottom