• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unions attack Paterson call for NY worker layoffs

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
This is why I firmly believe that government employees should not have a union.

Because they look out for the people they represent?

Nope, I believe firmly in the servants part when it comes to civil servants. By having a union they change the role from being servants of the people to being masters.

Nope, I believe firmly in the servants part when it comes to civil servants. By having a union they change the role from being servants of the people to being masters.

it's civil servants, not civil slaves

Government employees are not servants, they are employees. Having a union does not make them masters.

Paterson's out come November, he needs to make this statement. I will respect him if he does.

Tim-

it's civil servants, not civil slaves

Oh because if they don't have a union to strong arm the people they serve they're slaves?

Government employees are not servants, they are employees. Having a union does not make them masters.

Government employees are civil servants. Having a union allows them to blackmail and extort the people they are supposed to be serving. For instance, the people don't want to pay more in taxes that increases the servants salary. Trash isn't picked up, the police don't respond to enforce the law, firefighters do not come to put out fires, nobody can go to the government offices since they're all on strike. How is this again a government of the people, for the people, and by the people if the government goes on strike?

At least someone in Albany is showing some ****ing backbone.

Unions attack Paterson call for NY worker layoffs | recordonline.com

From your link:
The Civil Service Employees Association says Monday that Paterson is bound by an agreement not to lay off state workers until Jan. 1 at the earliest.

It's outrageous that public officials would agree by contract to not be able to lay off employees at will. It's our money, folks. If they're not needed, if we're in the red, cuts have to be made.

I don't blame the unions. I blame the officials for agreeing to such nonsense. Malfeasence, as far as I'm concerned.

From your link:

It's outrageous that public officials would agree by contract to not be able to lay off employees at will. It's our money, folks. If they're not needed, if we're in the red, cuts have to be made.

I don't blame the unions. I blame the officials for agreeing to such nonsense. Malfeasence, as far as I'm concerned.

on the final day of office, the bush appointees executed an agreement to pay our federal union's bargaining unit employees $7.6 million for uncompensated overtime
for eight years, those same bush appointees would not engage in any form of constructive negotiation with the union to address the problem. but when those bush appointees believed it might hamstring the agency during an Obama administration by obligating these monies, they signed the $7.6 million payout
truly malfeasance - again, at public expense

Back
Top Bottom