• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unionized Fast Food

Lord of Planar

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Only in Portlandia.

An article from the Willamette Week: Workers at Portland’s Busiest Burgerville Say Managers Are Trying to Bust Their Union

The story starts with a sob story about a woman 8 month pregnant being suspended without pay.

Duh... Fast food isn't a career job, and isn't a safety and risk for someone 8 months pregnant to work. They formed a union and no contractual agreements are made yet.

If I am to believe the story, which is firmly one-sided, I still cannot sympathize with people who think they will get more pay and benefit from one of many fast food chains, and not make it go bankrupt, when their competition doesn't do the same. The article talks about retaliation, of which I bet is just getting rid of bad employees anyway. Really hard to say. However, it's a franchise. How many unique contracts would there be?

Now my personal view, is that a major competitor like Burger King or McDonald's got this going, just to get rid of what is probably the best fast food chain in the Northwest. Burgerville already costs more than most fast food. They use high quality Northwest sourced food. The location nearest me is the worse Burgerville I ever ate at, but it's still better than the competition. Except maybe Carl's Jr.

How many people think fast food should be unionized? Here in Portlandia, a few Burgerville locations are the first in the nation to unionize.

Only in Portlandia.

An article from the Willamette Week: Workers at Portland’s Busiest Burgerville Say Managers Are Trying to Bust Their Union

The story starts with a sob story about a woman 8 month pregnant being suspended without pay.

Duh... Fast food isn't a career job, and isn't a safety and risk for someone 8 months pregnant to work. They formed a union and no contractual agreements are made yet.

If I am to believe the story, which is firmly one-sided, I still cannot sympathize with people who think they will get more pay and benefit from one of many fast food chains, and not make it go bankrupt, when their competition doesn't do the same. The article talks about retaliation, of which I bet is just getting rid of bad employees anyway. Really hard to say. However, it's a franchise. How many unique contracts would there be?

Now my personal view, is that a major competitor like Burger King or McDonald's got this going, just to get rid of what is probably the best fast food chain in the Northwest. Burgerville already costs more than most fast food. They use high quality Northwest sourced food. The location nearest me is the worse Burgerville I ever ate at, but it's still better than the competition. Except maybe Carl's Jr.

How many people think fast food should be unionized? Here in Portlandia, a few Burgerville locations are the first in the nation to unionize.

So to sum it up:

The right is against unions.
The right is against min wage.
The right is against free training to help poor people get properly trained on something else.
The right says poor people should just work more jobs. (of course they don't complain when the workplaces can't accommodate that because workplaces don't work around other workplaces typically.
The right is against abortions and then against welfare.
The right is against medical healthcare for the poor because they should just work better jobs that have healthcare coverage, but don't have the training.

Why doesn't the right just admit that what they really want poor people to do is just DIE so the right doesn't have to deal with them anymore.

So to sum it up:

The right is against free training to help poor people get properly trained on something else.
The right says poor people should just work more jobs. (of course they don't complain when the workplaces can't accommodate that because workplaces don't work around other workplaces typically.
The right is against medical healthcare for the poor because they should just work better jobs that have healthcare coverage, but don't have the training.

Why doesn't the right just admit that what they really want poor people to do is just DIE so the right doesn't have to deal with them anymore.

How about just realizing that the right wants people to be responsible.

I see you didn't even read the article. You just wanted to rant, since you didn't address anything in it..

I'm sorry if that's the highlight of your day, finding ways to bitch.

How about just realizing that the right wants people to be responsible.

And when they aren't, you just want them to die. There finished that last part for you.

Oh and forgot another thing the right is against:

The right is against homeless people.

And when they aren't, you just want them to die. There finished that last part for you.

Oh and forgot another thing the right is against:

The right is against homeless people.

If you say so.

Not really surprised with any of this.

We have a group of employees that are trying to unionize, handed that intention to management, and as of yet have no real collective bargaining agreement. So management responds with white gloving the staff and now they are all upset.

If fast food workers want to unionize that is there decision to make, but there will always be some sort of response. And I highly doubt any organization facing newly organized labor will ever go well.

Could be anything from automation, to technology, or something causing downward demand on a labor pool coming with new costs.

Not really surprised with any of this.

We have a group of employees that are trying to unionize, handed that intention to management, and as of yet have no real collective bargaining agreement. So management responds with white gloving the staff and now they are all upset.

If fast food workers want to unionize that is there decision to make, but there will always be some sort of response. And I highly doubt any organization facing newly organized labor will ever go well.

Could be anything from automation, to technology, or something causing downward demand on a labor pool coming with new costs.

What I don't understand is, what do they think unionizing a single fast food chain will accomplish? I can't help but think a competitor is involved, pulling the strings in the shadows, doing this to bust the business.

So to sum it up:

Why dont you admit you want everyone who does not agree with an abdication of personal responsibility and your righteous theft of their freedom to die?

Free free free. There is no free.

Make the union.
Raise the min wage to ten, ten thousand, or a hundred thousand. Why not? You are not paying for any of it and then the business owner will flee and all the jobs go away.

Perhaps it is you that is insidiously advocating to take away the opportunities and jobs they do have and then they can die...Hmm..Why do you hate fast food workers?

"Morrisha Jones is eight months pregnant—and suspended without pay from her job at Burgerville."--This sounds like the middle of a long line of bad decisions....

You seem free enough with other peoples resources. It wont take you long to contact her and invite her over to live with you. That would be impressive and the mother of all virtue signals since that appeals to you.

What I don't understand is, what do they think unionizing a single fast food chain will accomplish? I can't help but think a competitor is involved, pulling the strings in the shadows, doing this to bust the business.

"Community organizers"

Why dont you admit you want everyone who does not agree with an abdication of personal responsibility and your righteous theft of their freedom to die?

Because I don't want everyone to die like the right does the poor?

Free free free. There is no free.

Fine, reduced price for the poor. Does that make you happier? I doubt it.

Make the union.
Raise the min wage to ten, ten thousand, or a hundred thousand. Why not? You are not paying for any of it and then the business owner will flee and all the jobs go away.

Perhaps it is you that is insidiously advocating to take away the opportunities and jobs they do have and then they can die...Hmm..Why do you hate fast food workers?

"Morrisha Jones is eight months pregnant—and suspended without pay from her job at Burgerville."--This sounds like the middle of a long line of bad decisions....

You seem free enough with other peoples resources. It wont take you long to contact her and invite her over to live with you. That would be impressive and the mother of all virtue signals since that appeals to you.
[/quote]

I'm not the one trying to take safety nets away from people and then telling them they don't have a right to live like folks like you do. You complain everything about the poor but then want to take everything away from them at the same time and say pull yourself up from the bootstraps when you have no boots. Pathetic, but you cons only care about yourselves.

Cant speak for the owners of that particular joint, but if my employees wanted to unionize Id shut the doors down tomorrow. Have a nice vacation. Reopen in a few months with a new staff.

You would literally have to be some of the stupidest people on the planet to think you should unionize a minimum wage fast food job. This is why I say hire illegals while you can.

like you do

Actually I get up early and go to work every day and take care of several others. I noticed you did not care to reach out to Miss Jones and offer refuge from the evil burgerville.

Not virtue signalling today beyond advocating others do what you wont?

Perhaps you can convince her to kill her baby to make it all better. She was only at 8 months.

Last edited:
I'm not the one trying to take safety nets away from people and then telling them they don't have a right to live like folks like you do. You complain everything about the poor but then want to take everything away from them at the same time and say pull yourself up from the bootstraps when you have no boots. Pathetic, but you cons only care about yourselves.

You just want the safety net to be a hammock.

Please grow up.

Actually I get up early and go to work every day and take care of several others. I noticed you did not care to reach out to her and offer refuge from the evil burgerville.

Not virtue signalling today beyond advocating others do what you wont?

Yeah I'm sure you do for money. That doesn't make you a philanthropist con. And it's a pretty dumb statement from you to say why haven't I reached out to offer her refuge when her and MILLIONS of others like her are in the same boat. Just a dumb comment, but then dumb comments are not surprising from you.

So to sum it up:

The Democratic Party's plan is to keep bringing in millions more unskilled and uneducated immigrants to use them to bust unions as in the past and to keep blue collar wages at the absolute minimum. The Democratic Party is the enemy of blue collar and fast food workers for the Democratic Party's open borders policies and tricks.

No, I don't.

Pathetic personal attack noted.

What do you expect after you said I want them to die?

Cant take the heat, don't dish it out.

I was correct to say "grow up."

The Democratic Party's plan is to keep bringing in millions more unskilled and uneducated immigrants to use them to bust unions as in the past and to keep blue collar wages at the absolute minimum. The Democratic Party is the enemy of blue collar and fast food workers for the Democratic Party's open borders policies and tricks.

The only one busting unions is the right. You know people you CONS support.

Was #12 written by a Dem?

The only one busting unions is the right. You know people you CONS support.

Illegal immigrants devastated union packinghouses - so much that wages are lower now than 3 decades ago and that isn't even adjusting for inflation. The Democratic Party - the lackies of the super rich - do everything possible to crush blue collar wages and trade unions.

What the Democratic Party wants of the few union locations yet is for the government to force the employees to give money to the union who then gives a huge cut to the politicians. This way, the union doesn't have to do anything for employees whatsoever and can make sweetheart deals with the company with there being nothing the union members can do about it. The Democratic Party HATES blue collar union members, but loves rich union officials.

Back
Top Bottom