• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Union Square ‘I hate white people’ beating victim dies; suspect in court.

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A 62-year-old man who was brutally attacked in Union Square last week died Monday.On Wednesday, a man shouting that he “hated white people” punched victim Jeffrey Babbitt — who is white — in the face, witnesses said, causing him to fall and strike his head on the ground.

Lashawn Marten, 31, who is black, “made statements to the effect that I’m going to punch the first white man that I see,” said NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly.

Read more: Union Square ‘I hate white people’ beating victim dies; suspect in court | PIX 11

I hope they lock this guy up and throw away the key...The larger question I have is why the spike in black on white racial crime lately? What factors do y'all see as causing this to, if not be happening as portrayed as far as news reporting, then why the increased reporting of this type of thing....And if it is as prevalent as the reports on the news would suggest, why isn't there more of a public plea to the black community to knock it off?

I don't think there is a spike in the crime. I think there is a spike in the reporting on the crime. The media loves to create conflict and is doing its best to enhance that conflict.

I hope they lock this guy up and throw away the key...The larger question I have is why the spike in black on white racial crime lately? What factors do y'all see as causing this to, if not be happening as portrayed as far as news reporting, then why the increased reporting of this type of thing....And if it is as prevalent as the reports on the news would suggest, why isn't there more of a public plea to the black community to knock it off?

I don't think there is a spike in the crime. I think there is a spike in the reporting on the crime. The media loves to create conflict and is doing its best to enhance that conflict.

Yeah, me too in some respects...But why would they be doing that? What do they have to gain by further racial division of the nation? :doh Wait, I think I just answered my own question to myself....Ratings....It's disgusting, but probably true....

I still think this guy who did this should pay. :peace

Obama, Sharpton and Jackson will always play to the base. They can always count on the 'blame America first' Lefties for support but they have to maintain the idea that Blacks are being discriminated against, and only they can and will fight for them again their White oppressors.

Yeah, me too in some respects...But why would they be doing that? What do they have to gain by further racial division of the nation? :doh Wait, I think I just answered my own question to myself....Ratings....It's disgusting, but probably true....
They sell tragedy, and unfortunately it sells well.
You may have heard the phrase "if it bleeds it leads".

the great recession has adversely impacted those of color the most
as a minority person who can't get ahead, who sees others like him in a similar circumstance, while perceiving majority individuals to be doing ok
all that person can see is black and white
he isn't looking deep enough at the situation to assess that maybe the choices the average white person makes is not as self destructive as those choices made by him and his minority cohort
that would require insight and a willingness to engage in true introspection. it is much easier to blame someone else for our self inflicted problems

and this is not a uniquely black thing. white trash will usually blame blacks and the welfare they receive for the inferior circumstances they face in their lives
notice that neither under-performing group will take ownership for their own plight

as a minority person who can't get ahead, who sees others like him in a similar circumstance, while perceiving majority individuals to be doing ok
he isn't looking deep enough at the situation to assess that maybe the choices the average white person makes is not as self destructive as those choices made by him and his minority cohort
that would require insight and a willingness to engage in true introspection. it is much easier to blame someone else for our self inflicted problems

and this is not a uniquely black thing. white trash will usually blame blacks and the welfare they receive for the inferior circumstances they face in their lives
notice that neither under-performing group will take ownership for their own plight

Good post bubba....I agree.

why the spike in black on white racial crime lately
There is no spike in "white racial crime."

There are roughly 50 felony assaults in NYC every day. One mentally disturbed black man punching a random white man is not indicative of a trend.

The recession has not caused an increase in violent crime, especially in NYC. The number of violent crimes in NYC has dropped by 30% since 2001.

There are roughly 50 felony assaults in NYC every day. One mentally disturbed black man punching a random white man is not indicative of a trend.

Why do you classify this man as "mentally disturbed" but if it were a white man, that punched a black man on the streets of NYC, and then said he hated black people, you'd be calling him a racist....Why the difference? Is it because you see the black man as an eternal victim regardless of the crime he commits?

Black on white crime is completely out of control, and the media doesn't care.

Black on white crime is completely out of control, and the media doesn't care.

I'd like to see some statistics that it's worse than it ever was.

Has anyone noticed how the righty blogosphere suddenly started to care after the Trayvon Martin thing? It's almost like they're trying to justify something....

So what is the difference inhow poverty is handled today tan how it was handled during the depression?

TWe didn't see people out there killing each other because they were por.

Did you see somewhere in a report the suspect is mentally disturbed?

Why do you classify this man as "mentally disturbed" but if it were a white man, that punched a black man on the streets of NYC, and then said he hated black people, you'd be calling him a racist....Why the difference? Is it because you see the black man as an eternal victim regardless of the crime he commits?

Some folks don't seem to be able to wrap their head around the possibility that black folks can be racist. As if it is a "white's only," kind of thing. That attitude, in and of itself, is racist if you ask me.

The recession has not caused an increase in violent crime, especially in NYC. The number of violent crimes in NYC has dropped by 30% since 2001.

you might find this an interesting read to account for the cause in the drop in crime rate

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...en&gbv=2&tbm=isch&itbs=1&sa=X&ved=0CDwQrQMwCA

my beliefs are from personal, anecdotal observations. my sense is there was a substantial increase in general meanness soon after the economic meltdown. large numbers of people were doing less well. those doing the worst were the under-skilled underclass. and they did feel the effects the most

Has anyone noticed how the righty blogosphere suddenly started to care after the Trayvon Martin thing? It's almost like they're trying to justify something....

The Zimmerman case brought home the realization that White on Black crime (actually Hispanic in this case) is being far more publicized that any other racial crimes. When the US President got involved, without recognizing the real violence elsewhere, was people realized that there was a great deal of bias in the media, and from the President himself.

Why do you classify this man as "mentally disturbed" but if it were a white man, that punched a black man on the streets of NYC, and then said he hated black people, you'd be calling him a racist....Why the difference?
There isn't one.

Both blacks and whites can be racist, as in hold irrational hatred of someone based on the color of their skin. This is not a mutually exclusive category with "mentally disturbed."

So: If a white person in Union Square shouted "I hate black people," and assaulted the first black person he saw, I would also say "the actions of one mentally disturbed individual do not indicate an increase in black-on-white crime."

But thanks for making all sorts of assumptions that don't disprove my point.

I hope they lock this guy up and throw away the key...The larger question I have is why the spike in black on white racial crime lately?
Perhaps because of Trayvon?

Some folks don't seem to be able to wrap their head around the possibility that black folks can be racist. As if it is a "white's only," kind of thing. That attitude, in and of itself, is racist if you ask me.

I'd stop just short of saying blacks cannot be racist is a widespread view but in my experience, "prevalent" comes to mind and it's whites who have this view as much as any other race.

Last edited:
The Zimmerman case brought home the realization that White on Black crime (actually Hispanic in this case) is being far more publicized that any other racial crimes....
No, the issue with the Martin case was that blacks felt like they could be killed with impunity, and that Stand Your Ground laws let a lot of people without even a cursory examination by the courts.

When the US President got involved, without recognizing the real violence elsewhere...
Please. Nothing Obama said about Martin marginalized other types of violence, and the haters were accusing him (and the media) of bias long before that case.

Last edited:

I don't know, ask your president, who only cares when black thug kids get killed by Hispanic men with white last names in self defense.

I don't know, ask your president, who only cares when black thug kids get killed by Hispanic men with white last names in self defense.

He's your President too. Why don't you ask him?

Strange how it "wasn't about race," but now you're quick to distance yourself from Zimmerman being white. Or not white, I guess. If it wasn't about race, who cares what he is?

No, the issue with the Martin case was that blacks felt like they could be killed with impunity, and that Stand Your Ground laws let a lot of people without even a cursory examination by the courts.

Blacks felt they could be killed with impunity?? That's obvious nonsense propagated by races hustlers like Al Sharpton and Barrack Obama. Zimmerman wasn't arrested because, as demonstrated, it was a straightforward case of Stand Your Ground. Any Blacks who didn't know that just weren't aware of the circumstances of the case.
Please. Nothing Obama said about Martin marginalized other types of violence, and the haters were accusing him (and the media) of bias long before that case.
Obama involved himself (again) in a case which only fired up racial suspicions and hatreds. He cannot keep his mouth shut.

He's your President too. Why don't you ask him?

Strange how it "wasn't about race," but now you're quick to distance yourself from Zimmerman being white. Or not white, I guess. If it wasn't about race, who cares what he is?

Zimmerman was Hispanic but in their eagerness to promote racial anxieties the NYTimes, and other leftist media, referred to Zimmerman as White.

Back
Top Bottom