• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Unintended Consequences

Hmmm

Some of the baskets here have an electronic tag that sets off an alarm when taken from the store.

Plastic bags were banned by the city of Vancouver several years ago. Now they have banned straws, plastic forks etc. and even some types of wrapping paper. We're moving to a carpet law banning everything that isn't excluded.

All of that and as generous as I can be we're ****ed. The recycling system we have implemented is a bust. No one understands it, no one bothers reading the labels on the recycling bins and almost everything still goes to landfill.

Years ago I was an avid SCUBA diver. One summer we took an excursion to a group of tiny "islands", rocks really, off the northeast coast of Vancouver Island. Pristine, places where it is unlikely man has ever trod!

Except the bottom was littered with cash register receipts and junk food packaging..............from Japan.

Another diver here...on Aruba, the windward side of the island, the beaches were covered in plastic bags and other trash...but esp. plastic bags. We didnt dive over there tho.

Personally, I'm glad they're finally trying to get rid of the plastic bags. I had my own bags, but stopped using them during the height of covid because I didn't want the baggers to have to handle people's bags not knowing if the customer had covid. But I started using them again once the masking and all was pretty much done. And I checked with the store to make sure they were ok with personal bags again.

For a while at beginning of Covid we could use our own bags, but had to pack them ourselves. I used to always pack my own anyway. One of the groceries nearby puts all the empty cartons from stocking their shelves up front by the cash registers. You can grab a carton to pack your stuff if you don't have a bag. Otherwise you can pay for a bag. We haven't had single use plastic in the store for several years now.

For a while at beginning of Covid we could use our own bags, but had to pack them ourselves. I used to always pack my own anyway. One of the groceries nearby puts all the empty cartons from stocking their shelves up front by the cash registers. You can grab a carton to pack your stuff if you don't have a bag. Otherwise you can pay for a bag. We haven't had single use plastic in the store for several years now.

What general area of CO are you in?

I do that too, when there are any around, like when staff is stocking shelves. I hate to overburden my bags with cans or big bottles.

Hey, it's all about adaptation!

Reactions: JMR
I fill up the cart when I shop, top and bottom usually. I like that people refer to them two different ways..shopping carts and buggys.
I might sometimes say "put it in the basket" when referring to the shopping cart. (not put the lotion in the basket!)
I rarely use the little baskets, they hold like what, 3-4 items? I almost always regret getting one, I just get a shopping cart most of the time. They have those half-carts too.

I do prefer using reusable grocery bags, they are so nice and big, and easy to access, that it has improved grocery shopping for me in a significant way.
It is usually easier and faster to carry the bags inside too.
The grocery store I frequent rarely has baggers, and I find I actually enjoy bagging, which makes unbagging at home easier.
I am very food motivated, I like being responsible for most of the food coming in the house, and for cooking, and being able to see any new items or get sparked by inspiration of some ingredient.
I do prefer some of the nicer stories, but the prices being so absurdly higher, and the longer drive, helps me choose proximity to store quality.

Domestic reflections.

The grocery store I frequent rarely has baggers, and I find I actually enjoy bagging, which makes unbagging at home easier.
I am very food motivated, I like being responsible for most of the food coming in the house, and for cooking, and being able to see any new items or get sparked by inspiration of some ingredient.
I do prefer some of the nicer stories, but the prices being so absurdly higher, and the longer drive, helps me choose proximity to store quality.

Domestic reflections.

When the kids were home and I filled a cart of groceries, I used to like to bag myself....Those were the days of paper bags at the grocery....take all you need. I'd race along bagging to keep up with the cashier... the trick was to get the groceries up on the moving belt in the right order while the previous customer paid up.

The NY area? LOL.

My son lives in Denver though and it seems you can get as many single use bags as you want there.

Huh. I thought you lived here. I was wondering where in CO they didn't have plastic bags!

When the kids were home and I filled a cart of groceries, I used to like to bag myself....Those were the days of paper bags at the grocery....take all you need. I'd race along bagging to keep up with the cashier... the trick was to get the groceries up on the moving belt in the right order while the previous customer paid up.
Yes! The finer points, you are a connoisseur.

Reactions: JMR
Back
Top Bottom