• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Uninformed people talking about the trial

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Do you come across these people who have all of these opinions about what happened, but actually haven't been watching the trial?

I just had a conversation with someone like this.....

Me: "I can't stop watching this trial. The witnesses are helping the defense more than the prosecutors. So far, I can't see how they could convict him."

Her: "Ooh, I think he's so guilty."

Me: "But he was obviously being beat up."

Her: "I think he did that to himself."

Me: "What? When did he have time to beat himself up?"

Her: "Oh, there was time. He wanted to kill that boy."

I just rolled my eyes and walked away.

Do you come across these people who have all of these opinions about what happened, but actually haven't been watching the trial?

Me: "I can't stop watching this trial. The witnesses are helping the defense more than the prosecutors. So far, I can't see how they could convict him."

I have noticed. This board has been talking about this incident for over a year -- very intelligent back-and-forth discussion including strong opinions both ways backed up with FACTS and links to information to back up those opinions.

Now it seems we have newbies on board who know everything about the instance -- and, quite obviously, no nothing about it at all.

Except that Z's guilty.

I see lots of people on Twitter saying things like "Why do we even need to have this trial? Z's guilty!"

People have turned this into a race issue or a gun rights issue. That's why many are irrational in their logic behind dealing with the case. When the story first came out tabloids and commentators were pushing a "white guy murders black kid for wearing a hoodie" and variations of that. Now with gun rights issues popping up and "stand your ground" and other laws being in play people are motivated by their political beliefs.

I think many have taken their partisan thinking and applied it to this case and either want Zimmerman convicted over the race issue or gun rights while others want him innocent over self defense gun rights or a rejection of racism being at play.

I don't understand why people should talk about this trial at all. Unless you're personally involved in the affair, as in, you know the people involved, you have no business giving a damn about it.

I mean, I understand why one would watch a trial of a serial killer. Or of a serial anything. And why one would be invested, emotionally, in the trial of a serial killer/rapist/pedophile/anything. Because if he is a serial something, you may end up being a victim just because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time and the psycho's brain fired up and decided he wants you to be his next victim.

But this case isn't about a serial anything. It's about a nobody who killed another nobody. Whether it was murder or self-defense is irrelevant for the point i'm making. One killed the other. But this is a very common thing everywhere in the world. People kill one another, either by intention or accident, all the time. In many ways. But it is not unless one becomes an adept of killing people that he should catch the public interest.

You want crime? Read Agatha Christie or watch NCIS or something. Much more interesting. Much more fun. Has more worth and you can actually stir up a conversation with someone and make friends on it. I mean, if you approach the TZ trial with another person, there's a 50-50 chance that he is not on the same side as you, if he is interested. If you approach a person on the topic of Hercule Poirot's brilliance and the entertainment value of both the movies and the books, if he disagrees, you don't need to be friends with such people to begin with because it means that they have **** taste. Nobody with any class and interest in crime novels would find Agatha Christie sub-par or uninteresting.

I have heard people, that have watched the trial closely, comment on how the telephone witness has not changed her story even while "being badgered" by the defense council. When I asked them what she alleged that GZ said, they simply replied that was not important because the witness clearly "heard" GZ hit TM.

The comments my "friends" on Facebook are making are killing my faith in humanity.

The stupid... it burns!

I had almost the same conversation yesterday with a guy I'm friends with... I wanted to just explode, but then I realized that most people probably see it the same way thanks to the GD media.

I don't understand why people should talk about this trial at all. Unless you're personally involved in the affair, as in, you know the people involved, you have no business giving a damn about it.

I mean, I understand why one would watch a trial of a serial killer. Or of a serial anything. And why one would be invested, emotionally, in the trial of a serial killer/rapist/pedophile/anything. Because if he is a serial something, you may end up being a victim just because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time and the psycho's brain fired up and decided he wants you to be his next victim.

But this case isn't about a serial anything. It's about a nobody who killed another nobody. Whether it was murder or self-defense is irrelevant for the point i'm making. One killed the other. But this is a very common thing everywhere in the world. People kill one another, either by intention or accident, all the time. In many ways. But it is not unless one becomes an adept of killing people that he should catch the public interest.

it's pretty easy to understand.

this is a debate site, primarily involving politics. most of the people chiming in our attaching their ideological beliefs to this case.

I can't tell you how many times people have said Zimmerman was guilty because he chose to get out of the car and follow. that is a political stance. We debate those things here.

what I find surprising is your position. why are you here?

I will be the first to admit that, until I started watching the trial, I was ready to grab my pitchfork and head for Z's house. While I still think he was playing billy bad-ass because he was a wanna-be cop who was turned down at the academy, I am starting to believe that there is more to the story than meets the eye.

Damn. I am not good with change. I don't change my mind easily. Once I see something one way, it's so hard for me to see it differently. That is happening in this instance.

this is a debate site, primarily involving politics. most of the people chiming in our attaching their ideological beliefs to this case.

I can't tell you how many times people have said Zimmerman was guilty because he chose to get out of the car and follow. that is a political stance. We debate those things here.

Agreed. That's part of what we enjoy - to "armchair quarterback" these big trials. I was shopping when the Casey Anthony verdict came in. I hurriedly paid, ran home and then got so angry at the verdict that I cried. It's hard not to get involved in trials like this, when the media are throwing them in our face for months, or years on end.

I will be the first to admit that, until I started watching the trial, I was ready to grab my pitchfork and head for Z's house. While I still think he was playing billy bad-ass because he was a wanna-be cop who was turned down at the academy, I am starting to believe that there is more to the story than meets the eye.

Damn. I am not good with change. I don't change my mind easily. Once I see something one way, it's so hard for me to see it differently. That is happening in this instance.

I think a lot of people will be changing their minds.

when this case started being debated on this and other forums, even before the investigations were done, I stated we do not all the facts. We should not define guilty till all the facts are known. I tended to believe GZ and think he is not guilty of M2, most likely not guilty of lesser charges. I still hold that view today. it is up to the State to prove GZ guilty. So far, I don't see it.

There are cases where the preliminary evidence is pretty damaging on a persons guilt. It is pretty easy to say one is guilty (shooter in Tuscon, CO, etc), when they catch the person in the act.

I think a lot of people will be changing their minds.

It's the ones in the general public that don't change their minds that I worry about... As for the people on this forum who don't change their mind, they will forever discredit themselves here and will find it difficult to be taken seriously anymore.

I am not condemning the people on this site for getting involved into this as long as it doesn't spill over into the real world.

I mean, Jackfrost, one of the most hyped trayvon martin adepts, his only meaningful impact in this event is to bitch about it on some internet forum. If people did just that, than that's fine. That's why we have usernames and some degree of anonimity, so we can go online and vent or chat or whatever.

It's not the same when you have people, using their real names and their real id's, as they do on twitter, to promote and encourage mass riots. I do think there would be people who would actually do this in real life, go out and rage and riot if Z is found not guilty. And the people who have become as such that they are willing to riot and murder people over this trial were mostly formed out of media hype.

So I am not slamming the people who debate the facts of the case or the politics of the case. Far be it from me. I do say that debating such an issue is stupid and pointless and you'd better invest your forum time on more meaningful topics, but if that's the scope of ones' intelligence and interests, fine by me. Blabber on.

My position is that I don't give a rats ass if Z is guilty or not but I do find the whole media and political hype around it interesting and quite sad.

I am not condemning the people on this site for getting involved into this as long as it doesn't spill over into the real world.

I mean, Jackfrost, one of the most hyped trayvon martin adepts, his only meaningful impact in this event is to bitch about it on some internet forum. If people did just that, than that's fine. That's why we have usernames and some degree of anonimity, so we can go online and vent or chat or whatever.

It's not the same when you have people, using their real names and their real id's, as they do on twitter, to promote and encourage mass riots. I do think there would be people who would actually do this in real life, go out and rage and riot if Z is found not guilty. And the people who have become as such that they are willing to riot and murder people over this trial were mostly formed out of media hype.

So I am not slamming the people who debate the facts of the case or the politics of the case. Far be it from me. I do say that debating such an issue is stupid and pointless and you'd better invest your forum time on more meaningful topics, but if that's the scope of ones' intelligence and interests, fine by me. Blabber on.

My position is that I don't give a rats ass if Z is guilty or not but I do find the whole media and political hype around it interesting and quite sad.

I do give a rat's ass if Z is guilty or not. If, he is innocent or not...I could care less

The state cannot meet its burden of proof in the eyes of the jury, then justice is served by a not guilty verdict, regardless of what, the unwashed masses think happened.

I do care. I want justice done, and that's up to the jurors. I remain disgusted by the way this case was ginned up and meddlers weighed in, including the Meddler-in-Chief.

People have turned this into a race issue or a gun rights issue. That's why many are irrational in their logic behind dealing with the case. When the story first came out tabloids and commentators were pushing a "white guy murders black kid for wearing a hoodie" and variations of that. Now with gun rights issues popping up and "stand your ground" and other laws being in play people are motivated by their political beliefs.

I think many have taken their partisan thinking and applied it to this case and either want Zimmerman convicted over the race issue or gun rights while others want him innocent over self defense gun rights or a rejection of racism being at play.

From Day 1 I've been concerned with Florida SYG. As protocol was originally followed and then different actions taken, this case will have implications regarding that protocol. Now, I agree with the protocol and do not want to see it changed. If Z was found guilty, this case would be used to indict that protocol.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with me being concerned about a case's impact on state laws that I support within my state. It's my business and I've every right to be interested. The bottom line is: this case is important to Florida SYG protocols. That you are unaware of such is your own ignorance and your placing actual legit concerns next to race baiting only illustrates that ignorance.

Regarding the case itself, I've always dealt from an evidence standpoint. My only speculation was in regard to why M was so amazingly convinced that the follower was the Grim Reaper and thus freaked out and behaved irrationally. But that speculation is a matter of explaining the unexplained and not directly relevant to the verdict. Just because I want him innocent for SYG protocol does not mean I'm incapable of evaluating the case objectively.

Fortunately, it appears that SYG protocol will stand, as it is becoming apparent that he should not have been arrested.

In sum, I don't appreciate my legit concerns regarding the case being placed with or compared to concerns about race baiting.

Last edited:
Um, yeah, for about a year now since you mods made the Zimmerman forum.

At my work which involves contact with a large number of people I have not heard one person mention this trial. Maybe it is regional but nobody I have ran into has said a word about this trial.

I think some people become so infatuated with trials like this that they can't leave the tv set/computer for one minute. There are some posters here who may post 20-30 times in one day about this trial and it almost becomes the point of an unhealthy obsession.

Admittedly it does become the "wreck along the hiway" that you have to turn and gawk at it but eventually you move on.

Guns aren't the problem.. a crazy person with a gun is a problem.

Shouldn't have happened at all but between a cocktail of uppers and downers and seeing a psychologist for other problems George should not have being carrying.

I have heard people, that have watched the trial closely, comment on how the telephone witness has not changed her story even while "being badgered" by the defense council. When I asked them what she alleged that GZ said, they simply replied that was not important because the witness clearly "heard" GZ hit TM.

She heard something. She interpreted what she heard as a "bump" because the earbuds fell and then she could barely hear, "get off".

I don't think we can dismiss her testimony.

She heard something. She interpreted what she heard as a "bump" because the earbuds fell and then she could barely hear, "get off".

I don't think we can dismiss her testimony.

Again, you simply ignore what was said on the record; she changed her sworn statement about the only words that she claims GZ uttered. Do see any difference between "get off", "get off of me" and "get off my case"? I am questioning the reliability of her "blow by blow account" when even the words, which she states that she heard clearly, are subject to alteration upon recall. We do not need her "later interpretation" of words/events. You constantly point out "inconsistancies" in the statements of GZ, yet give a pass to those that support your anticipated (desired?) version of events.

Back
Top Bottom